Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » What songs make you think of times past?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What songs make you think of times past?
SmackDownDiva
Activist
Member # 4757

Icon 6 posted      Profile for SmackDownDiva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For me, there's a whole list...
(And if they don't make me cry, they at least make me reminisce).
Here they are:

"Strawberry Wine" by Deanna Carter
"All My Life" by K-Ci & JoJo
"Amazed" by Lonestar
"It's Your Love" by Tim McGraw & Faith Hill
"This I Promise You" by 'NSync
"I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing" by Aerosmith
"One Sweet Day" by Boys II Men & Mariah Carey
"Have You Ever" by Brandy
"Everything I Do, I Do It For You" by Bryan Adams
"Right Here Waiting" by Richard Marx
"Unconditional" by Clay Davidson
"One More Day (With You)" by Diamond Rio
"The Dance" by Garth Brooks
"The Best Day Of My Life" by George Straite
"Friends" by Michael W. Smith
"Forever Young" by Rod Stewart
"Please Remember Me" by Tim McGraw
"My Best Friend" by Tim McGraw
"Saved The Best For Last" by Vanessa Williams
"Graduation" by Vitamin C
"My Love Is Your Love" by Whitney Houston
"I Believe" by Blessid Union Of Souls
"Return To Innocence" by Enigma

------------------
Always remember: curiosity killed the cat:)

Posts: 109 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SmackDownDiva
Activist
Member # 4757

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmackDownDiva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I just thought of another - it's and oldie but a goodie - well, in my opinion at least...

"Feel Like Makin' Love" by Bad Company

I could listen to that song ALL day!

------------------

Posts: 109 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here goes:

Anything by Paul Simon. My mom used to play his songs on long car trips.

Also, anything by The Police, for the same reason!

"Connection" - Elastica. I was seven when I first heard this song....good times!

Anything from Green Day's first album.

Anything from Weezer's first album. Geez, 1994-1995 was a great year for music!

"End it On This" - No Doubt. When I was in fifth grade, I stayed up late listening to this, and played it when I was in the car with Danny.

"Lovefool" - The Cardigans. Winter Break, 1996. That hadn't been a good year, but I remember having fun when I hear that song.

"Steal My Sunshine" - Len. Summer of 1999.

"The Way" - Fastball. 10 years old, eting Moosetracks ice cream with Danny and his girlfriend while listening to this song.

Anything off of The Smashing Pumpkins' "Adore".

"The Longest Time" - Billy Joel. I loved this song when I was little...weird, huh?!

"Ana Ng" - They Might Be Giants. This song just makes me feel relaxed and happy.

"Til My Head Falls Off" - They Might Be Giants, because it's hilarious!

"Bizarre Love Triangle" - New Order. I just love this song.

"Touch Myself" - The Divinyls. I love this song. My brother (not Danny) gave me an accapella (singing without accompanying music) CD that a group at his college performed, a version of this was on it. I listened to this all seventh grade!

That's all I can think of right now...

------------------
"Only in dreams
We see what it means
Reach out our hands
Hold on to hers
But when we wake
It's all been erased
And so it seems
Only in dreams..."
-Weezer

"To the beemobile!"
"You mean your Chevy?"
"Yes."

The All-New Only In Dreams Blog!

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sallynha
Activist
Member # 312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sallynha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This one is tough, I know I'll forget a lot of songs, but here are some:

Counting Crows - "Mr Jones" == When I was about 10 and getting into listening to music, I can remember this was the 1st song I recorded from the radio on tape

A couple by Roxette, like "Sleeping in my car" == Reminds me of my 5th and 6th grade, that used to be on the radio a lot

All Take That albums, ever since the start, about 1991 or so, until 1995... and the 1st one Boyzone released == when I was a "real" teenage girl hehe

Oasis - "Whatever" == the 1st song from Oasis I got to listen, it came on a compilation of the year's hits, and I had no idea of who they were, but fell in love with the song... this would become my favourite band for many years after

Blur's albums: "Modern Life Is Rubbish" and "The Great Escape" == When we got Cable TV I used to watch MTV Europe nearly all day, and that was how I got to know the bands I'm into now, and I remember Blur being one of those bands, the songs that used to play more were from those 2 albums, so I became a big fan of them

Pulp - "Common People" and "Disco 2000" == same reason as above, they were played a lot during the time I was addicted to MTV, and they symbolize, along with Blur and Oasis, my "getting into britpop" phase, which lasts until this day hehe

Savage Garden - "I Knew I Loved You Before I Met You" == this song is one of a few that remind me of my 1st boyfriend

Oh, I'm getting tired of thinking hehe .... I could add dozens more but I won't bother you with a list of songs hehe

------------------
~Sallynha
The Beautiful Smile Hides The Troubled Soul

ICQ# 123898306

Posts: 390 | From: * my own little shell * | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackbird
Activist
Member # 4159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"People are Strange" by the Doors
"Peggy Sue" by Buddy Holly
"Peggy Sue Got Married" by Buddy Holly
*I recall hearing those songs for the first time courtesy of my dad for my sister and me

"I touch myself" by the DiVinyls
*nothing like walking into Collegetown Bagels in Ithaca, New York and seeing the ENTIRE staff singing this..I'll take my bagel to go and uh, please change your gloves first

"Always Have to Steal My Kisses From You" by Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals
*I HATE Ben Harper's music, but this song has some special meaning to me

"Rag Doll" and "Love In An Elevator" by Aerosmith
*I recall these videos when they first came out, they scared the living, uh, essence, out of me!

"She's The One" Soundtrack by Tom Petty and the Heartbreaks
*senior year of college

darnit..that album by Sister Hazel reminds me of junior year of college

"Loose" by Therapy?
*reminds me of my best friend who I probably won't see ever again since I haven't seen her in 9 years since she moved back home

Dookie by Green Day
*senior year of high school, especially because the guy that I had the major crush on was also a huge Green Day fan

"Heart Shaped Box" by Nirvana
*the beginning of my long love affair with David Eric Grohl

"Olympia" by Hole
*never though much of Hole until I heard this song and identified with it even though I live in a much bigger city than Olympia, WA

"Uncle Salty" and "Janie's Got A Gun" by Aerosmith
*Uncle Salty was actually one of the very first songs that talked about rape, and Janie's Got A Gun was a big hit and Aerosmith were acclaimed for writing a song that discussed rape, as Steven Tyler said "Finally I knew why Janie had a gun."

"AM Radio" by Everclear
*the first radio station I heard music on was an AM station

"Black Dog" by Led Zeppelin
*my friend Claire in college had a very funny routine to this song

"Lake of Fire" by the Meat Puppets
*fell in love when Nirvana covered the song, and the Meat Puppets do a fine job also..hey, I'm going there, how about you?

"Gimmie Stiches" by the Foo Fighters
*story of my life

Foo Fighters' Self-titled album
*summer 1995 when it came out and I listened to that album WAY too much that summer

"Gone Away" by the Offspring
*oh yeah heaven is so far away....again, listened to this album way too much when it first came out and I had a road trip from Ithaca, New York to Boston, Massachusetts

Sparkle and Fade album by Everclear
*summer 1996 stuck in Ithaca, NY with nothing better to do than vegetate and listen to Everclear albums

"Setting Sun" by the Chemical Brothers
*when this came on during The Saint movie, I liked it so much I almost ditched the rest of the movie to run out and buy the album

"Semi-Charmed Life" by Third Eye Blind
*duh..how could I forget this one? This video is the reason why I moved back home after college since it was shot in SF and made me realize how much I missed it.

that's all I can think of right now....

------------------
"1970 called. Al Pacino wants his car back."

blackbird's blog

[This message has been edited by blackbird (edited 07-31-2001).]

Posts: 354 | From: san mateo, california, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 12 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Perfect Day" by Duran Duran.

This song is such a reminiscing song.

------------------
"I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal"
~Incubus

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SmackDownDiva
Activist
Member # 4757

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmackDownDiva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Something Like That" by Tim McGraw - even though it's not about his own personal life, it sure seems like it and you can picture the whole story unfold in your mind

------------------

~You*Know*Who~
Activist
Member # 1412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~You*Know*Who~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmmm...this takes some thinking.

"Jack N' Diane" by john cougar meloncamp
because um, I was taking a car ride with my mom, sister, brother, and his friend and that song came on. This was before things got screwy. <long story>

Anything by Metallica because I went camping with my brother he got in a fight with his now ex-wife and I was histarical and so was he and I ended up riding around with him, and 2 of his friends for about 2 hours with Metallica blaring.

"Summer Girls" by LFO This is me and my friends summer 1999 song.

"Something like that" by Tim Magraw Me and my friends other summer 1999 song.

"Hanging aroung" counting crows I just remember hanging out with my brother and hearing this song.

thats all I can think of right now.

Posts: 252 | From: somwhere, usa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SmackDownDiva
Activist
Member # 4757

~~"You Were Meant For Me" - Jewel
~~The theme song from "The Wonder Years" - Joe Cocker
~~"Small Town" - John Cougar Mellencamp (that and "Jack & Diane" also)
~~"Crazy" - K-Ci & JoJo
~~"How Do I Live" - Leann Rimes
~~"Only God Knows Why" - Kid Rock
~~"Hanging By A Moment" - Lifehouse
~~"Free Bird" - Lynyrd Skynyrd
~~"Mouth" - Merryl Bainbridge
~~"I'm The One Who Wants To Be With You" - Mr. Big
~~"How Do You Talk To An Angel" - Jamie Walters
~~"Hold On" - Jamie Walters
~~"Last Kiss" - Pearl Jam
~~"I Believe I Can Fly" - R. Kelly
~~"I'll Be Missing You" - Puff Daddy & Family
~~"Every Breath You Take" - The Police
~~"What Do You Say" - Reba McEntire

Okay, I think I'm done now

------------------

SmackDownDiva
Activist
Member # 4757

Oh, I just remembered two more:

"What Do You Say" & "Fancy" both by Reba McEntire.

Now all I have to do is get "Fancy" downloaded, and I'm set.

------------------

Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll Make Love To You - Boyz II Men
and
Kiss From A Rose
Incredibly awkward grade eight dances. And painfully sappy music to boot.

Greenday's Dookie. The whole thing.
One friend would put this on every time I came over to her house after school (grade nine/ten). And I never knew why.

Let's Talk About Sex - Salt 'n' Pepa
Grade six? Very much something to giggle over. Sex! Ewwwwwww!!

That Sister Hazel song.
Last summer? My partner's sister liked it and played it so often that I cringe every time I hear it.

The Christians and The Pagans - Dar Williams
Arrggghhh! If the Wiccans play this any more I just might burn them!

Whip It - Devo
I miss you, Ratt.

Alanis Morissette
Teen angst in a jewel case. Early years of high school.

The Hustle - Not sure who
My best friend and i once sang this (even though it doesn't really have any words) to another friend who being depressive and attention-seeking. I think she might still be damaged by it.

Last Kiss - Pearl Jam
Two summers ago. With a really geeky guy awkwardly flirting.

Wake Me Up Before You Go Go - Wham
Not even sure when, but it's nostalgic.

Mr Roboto - Styx
Domo! Reminds me of late nights with a good friend.

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"People Are Strange" -- doesn't matter whose version. My first semester of college, I hung out with a beautiful group of goth girls, and we'd sing it while walking past the Field House, which is prime Frat Boy gathering ground. Aaaah.

"Will You Love Me Tomorrow" - Carole King. A girl named Laura taught me this song at church camp.

"Love Of A Lifetime" - Firehouse. First dance at my first prom.

"Time Of Your Life" - Greenday. Last dance at my senior prom, and my partner Erik's prom.

"Lovesong", "Halo", "Lovecats", "Hot Hot Hot" - The Cure.

"One Tin Soldier" - I just bust out singing this one sometimes. Learned it my Junior year on choir.

And, "California Dreaming" by The Mamas And The Papas. When my choir went to a national competition in New Orleans, we sat in a restaurant in the french quarter singing it. The people around us applauded when we were finished, and some of them threw us quarters. Aww yeah.

------------------
How can you not like muffins?!

Out of my Head.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maro_chik
Activist
Member # 4272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maro_chik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
GREEN DAY - Time Of Your Life
SIMPLE MINDS - Don't You Forget About Me
LEN - If You Steal My Sunshine
LED ZEPPELIN - Stairway To Heaven
DEVO - Whip It

Also when I was young, I remember hearing my parents listen to ABBA, Peter Gabriel, and Mike and the Mechanics, so those songs make me thing of the past.

------------------
"I like a man with rock in bum."
-Tom Green

[This message has been edited by maro_chik (edited 08-03-2001).]

Posts: 63 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.