Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » The Summer Boredom Blues

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Summer Boredom Blues
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it seems a bunch of you out there spend your summer days online, doing pretty much nothing. Well, i hate it when ppl bitch and moan about being bored. And i hate it even worse when people flood certain boards trying to pick fights and wreak havoc on people who are just trying to offer a good service, causing them to not want to offer that service to people anymore (*cough, cough* ahem!). So, to save all of us from going nuts, here's some things you can do to stop boredom in its tracks:

Volunteer Work!
Habitat for Humanity http://www.habitat.org http://www.habitat.ca
Food Not Bombs http://www.foodnotbombs.net
Amnesty international http://www.amnesty.org
ACLU http://www.aclu.org
Or check out your local hospital, animal shelter, library, etc...

New Hobbies
martial arts
cooking
dance
music
classes at community college

who's got some other ideas? now you'll have no excuse but to get off your keisters and do something good.

------------------
"And who are you who are so wise in the ways of science?" from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AngelElisheva
Activist
Member # 3815

Icon 14 posted      Profile for AngelElisheva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tennis, tennis, tennis! I just discovered tennis this summer, and not only has it kept me healthy, in shape, off my bum and having a blast, but I've also met sooo many new people (not to mention a cute coach ).

In general, though, summer is your time off, so use it to find something you really enjoy doing, be it voluteer work, sports, music, painting, etc., and use your lazy hours to really pursue it. Not only does having something you truly enjoy doing boost your self-esteem, but it's fun! And that's what summer's for, right?

Of course, make sure to leave time for Scarleteen!

~Angel~

------------------
Nobody knows what you know, nobody's seen what you've seen, nobody's lived what you've lived...so why let them judge you?
~Personal Quote~

You know, Hobbes, sometimes I think the surest sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
~Calvin~

IM: AngelElisheva (Oh, I'm so creative, aren't I *grin*)

Posts: 176 | From: Middle of Nowhere, PA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 10 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gumdrop, you're the best. Subtle.

Read. I like to do lots of reading over the summer. When my summer days were empty, it was a book a day. If you don't want to read a whole book, get a mythology book, try Edith Hamilton. It's an easy read, simple short stories. And greek mythology always comes in handy.

Take classes in self-defense, cake decorating, ballroom dancing, sculpting, CPR... learn something new.

And if you don't like all the community service projects out there, create your own.

Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackbird
Activist
Member # 4159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blackbird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
or get a job. that'll take up a good 40 hours or so of someone's week.

traveling to visit friends/relatives via boat, car, plane, train, bus, etc is always wonderful too.

and for nature lovers, there are of course tons of nature conservation groups out there!

------------------
"1970 called. Al Pacino wants his car back."

blackbird's blog

Posts: 354 | From: san mateo, california, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get off your duff and do something

------------------
Color is for crayons, not for people.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am! I'm going to Australia this summer!

I'd say that's doing something. My question is, what can I do on a 20-30 hour flight?

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
killer_raincoat
Activist
Member # 6610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for killer_raincoat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
become acamp councellor! it might not pay as well as a normal job, but you have the benefits of room and board, not to mention the sun, and the fact that you'll have alot more fun than you would bagging groceries or waiting tables.

------------------
"Everybody thinks i'm such a horrible person, but i have the heart of a little boy. In a jar. On my desk." -Stephen King

Posts: 212 | From: Winnipeg | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey hey hey, it depends what type of camp.

SAIL! You're outside, it's beautiful, it's wet n' wild... etc etc etc

I'm gonna be working all summer, at a sweet job.... AS A SAIL INSTRUCTOR!!! way too much fun.

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HeatherRocksMyBobbySocks
Activist
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HeatherRocksMyBobbySocks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take some classes at your community college or university. Learn photoshop, flash, or html. Or learn how to basketweave. There's tons of stuff you can do.
Posts: 103 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few months ago, I started volunteering at a middle school in Oakland. It's kind of a rough neighborhood and the kids are what social workers would call "at-risk," meaning they are the ones who are likely to engage in criminal activity, do poorly in school or experiment sexually at a young age. In general, they will be more likely to get in trouble than most kids unless someone intervenes.

So we're intervening. We tutor and teach them about health. The kids are great and I adore them. I haven't done anything this fulfilling in a long time.
http://www.oaklandheroes.org website for the group I am sort of working under, in case you were curious, or if you live in the East Bay and were looking to do some good.

not only should everybody be thinking about what you're doing this summer, think about whether what you're going to be doing is worthwhile

------------------
¿Qué es el dealio?

summergoddess
Activist
Member # 11352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summergoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've spent the last 4 summers working as a receptionist/part of the adminstrative staff at a real estate firm, and i am possibly returning there this summer. After hours, i usually spend it with my boyfriend and my girlfriends. It's pretty rare in the summer that i am online or using the computer. I do check it for emails but that's usually all the time i have

------------------
~Jules

[This message has been edited by summergoddess (edited 03-27-2003).]

Posts: 369 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given the number of posts I've seen lately that are from people getting into bad situations, making bad sexual choices for themselves, or are just bored and trolling and pissing off the mods, I'd like to bump this so that more people could find something CONSTRUCTIVE to do with their time.

folks, it's never too soon to take an SAT class.

------------------
more surly than girly...

wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, I just started a visual journal, and I'm having so much fun with it. For my last entry, I soaked some sheets with a damp tea bag, and collaged it into my journal with an entry about getting old. It's fun to come home from the museum and have something substantial to set my mind to after six hours of busy work.

I've also been baking snacks for my lunches. Like ginger snaps...mm, snaps.

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackRoseFaery
Activist
Member # 7365

Icon 7 posted      Profile for BlackRoseFaery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

• Rearrange or redecorate your bedroom.
  • Read a book. (My two favorites right now... Born Confused by Tanuja Desai Hidier or for a classic, try the Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald).
  • Make a scrapbook.
  • Make your own website or just learn some HTML or something like that.

Hope everyone has a good summer!

------------------
Art is why I get up in the morning, but my definition ends there. You know it doesn't seem fair, that I'm living for something I can't even define" - Ani D.

Posts: 88 | From: Hixson, TN, US | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was working on my scrapbook for a few hours today. Go on google.com and search scrapbooking ideas. It's fun, you let your creativity out and you'll really be glad you made one 20 years from now!
Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
perceived thought
Neophyte
Member # 13921

Icon 1 posted      Profile for perceived thought     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some people have said that you should read over summer, and I think it's something that's always fun to do when not many friends are in town.

If anyone doesn't know what book to read, I can recommend one of my favorite books. It's called Blindness, by José Saramago. It's a great book, so go read it.

Besides reading, consider going outdoors. It's summer...nice weather, and freedom (for most people). So just be creative, and like everybody said in all the posts before mine, don't stay at home doing nothing, when there's so much you can do.

-perceived thought

Posts: 22 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shann2002
Activist
Member # 10090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shann2002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was online basically ALL SUMMER! Since i had trouble finding work, the net entertained me everyday. I am soooooo ready for school now. I cannot wait, but after a month of school i will want to go back home (LOL ). I go back to school on Aug. 17 so i don't have long. But paying for tuition with that 15% increase this year is gonna be a bummer!
Posts: 127 | From: Da Dirty South | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pix
Activist
Member # 13496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by HeatherRocksMyBobbySocks:
Take some classes at your community college or university.

totally cool idea!! there are so many cool things out there, and so many interesting classes to take! if you are bored and have nothing to do, how about taking a class in whatever area you think, "you know i wish i knew how to..."

also some courses would be great to put on a resume. i took a food safe course, and well, it wasn't the epidemy of fun, but it filled in some of my "i'm bored and doing nothing" time, and it'll probably give me a better chance of being hired at restaurants, cafes, etc.

Other fun ideas:

* get a couple of friends together and go on a road trip.
* go camping with friends.
* go swimming outside, at a beach, river, or whatever is in your area. it'll cool you down in the heat of the summer.
* sew something! old clothes that would otherwise be garbage can be fun to make stuff from.
* go to a summer festival, carnival, performance. great way to meet people too.
* learn a new sport, or organize pick-up games with friends.
* redecorate your room, or if thats too big of a feat, just do a desk, or shelf.
* take pictures of your summer activities, and when they get developed, make a scrapbook or collage with them. fun way to look back at memories.

Posts: 109 | From: canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the 4th northern hemisphere summer in a row...

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trolls, we know you're out there and flooding our boards. Time for you to get off your keisters and do something. Get a job, take a class or whatever. Seriously, it's a lot more entertaining than harassing us with stupid questions about goats.

------------------
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

moldystrawberry
Neophyte
Member # 24509

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moldystrawberry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh oh oh! Learn Photoshop, read, learn HTML, exercise, go to the beach, rent some movies, bake something, do some arts & crafts...
Hmmm... why am I not doing these things? :P

Posts: 2 | From: Puerto Rico | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Idle hands are the devil's playthings. Go find something to do!

--------------------

Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Now's a good time for everyone to get some extra exercise.

--------------------

Jen551
Neophyte
Member # 41845

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jen551     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree AngelElisheva , tennis is great exercise. I've been playing since elementary school and I love it so it hardly feels like exercise to me. [Big Grin]
Posts: 34 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.