Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Canada

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Canada
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really sure where this should go, so feel free to move it.

In honour of Canada Day, coming up on July 1st, i just wanted to say, well, Happy Canada Day. And, ask everybody, especially my fellow Canadians, what's your fave thing about Canada, what makes you proud to be Canadian, who are your fave Canadian artists?

I love canada. I was born here, i grew up here, it's my home, so naturally i'm gonna love it. I love our commercials, y'know, "My name is Joe", and the new one, where everyone is singing. I love Bif Naked and Hawksley Workman, my two fave artists, who are also Canadian. So, c'mon, share your stuff!

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucina
Activist
Member # 3792

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love Peaches, Mean Red Spiders, Joel Plaskett, the (late, lamented) Super Friendz, Sloan, and rocking out to the CBC! Yeah! The water's dangerous, though. Don't forget to boil!
Posts: 61 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maro_chik
Activist
Member # 4272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maro_chik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like Chantal Kreviazuk, Our Lady Peace, The Tragically Hip, Tom Green, Crash Test Dummies, Sloan, Ashley MacIssac, Bif Naked, Kittie Wide Mouth Mason, The Watchmen, Matthew Good Band. I like to watch CBC, CTV, Kids In The Hall, MuchMoreMusic, and MuchMusic. Even Americans like MuchMusic over MTV. I like where I live, and I'm proud to be Canadian. Happy Canada Day! (And I love the *I AM CANADIAN* commercials.)

------------------
"I like man with rock in bum"
-Tom Green

Posts: 63 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
I like that we are a democratic constitutional monarchy, a form of government that has served us well since 1867. I like the free and independant judiciary. I like the fact that by and large, Canadians try to do the right thing towards each other and towards other nations. I like our non-insularity and commitment to the collective security of the United Nations. I like our openness to new ideas. I like real winters and real summers (even though today is beastly hot). I like being able to feel at home from Cape Breton to Victoria (I haven't visited Newfoundland). I like that we are a land populated by immigrants from all over the world. People who can bring the highlights of their culture into the Canadian mix without disparaging the cultures of others. I like the red beaches and lobster suppers of Prince Edward Island. I like the towering Rockies of Alberta and British Columbia. I like to walk the narrow winding streets of the walled city of Quebec and to eat Bretagne crepes in Montreal. I like the Toronto Argonauts (God knows why). I like the music of Canadian composers and musicians. I love the science fiction of Robert J. Sawyer. I like the landscapes of the Group of Seven and the portraiture of Paul Peel and Yousuf Karsh. I like to stand at the base of the great David Dunlap Telescope in Richmond Hill and watch it track the stars. I like to dodge traffic at Portage and Main in Winnipeg, to walk behind the Falls of Niagara, to explore Casa Loma, to view Toronto from the CN Tower watching the buildings rise from the greenery....

I could go on but I should let others contribute.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 06-28-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 07-01-2001).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DC_WillowFan
Activist
Member # 631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC_WillowFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey !

I can be so proud of being Canadian. I mean I consider it the best country (in some sense) although that must be because I live in it. I like the US but I guess the living is better here.

And yeah maro_chik I also LOVE the "I AM CANADIAN" commercials. Makes me feel so special

Still I believe we don't get too much exposure in other countries. I dunno why.

But I guess Bobolink says it all. All of which I like over here, since the very beginning of Canada.

But for Canadian artists I like Celine Dion, Jacynthe, Shania Twain, and some other country artists.

Guess ya really need to visit Canada to understand all of what we say

HAPPY CANADA DAY !!!

David

------------------
- I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.

Anne Frank to her journal
(1929-1945)

Posts: 201 | From: Montreal, Qc, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and a big hearty "Happy Canada Day" from your friends down here in America! We love you guys for being such great neighbors, for not getting too annoyed when our government does silly things, and for your show "Talking With Americans."

Unfortunately, you also gave us Celine Dion...but I think we can let that one slide.

------------------
"Verdugo, Engine 14; you can cancel all units responding to this structure fire...this is just a dishwasher gone bad."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, a Happy Canada Day to all you Canadians out there.

Thanks Canada, for bringing out such nice people as our very own Cypher, bettie, Bobo, Smurfit,Dzum, Rizzo, all you guys above, and my dear online mate Flytrappy.

You outweigh the damage Celine Dion has done to the worldwide image of Canada!

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 06-30-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rambler
Activist
Member # 3023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rambler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bit about Celine Dion reminds me of this scene in the South Park movie where the "Canadian Minster of Movies" or entertainment or whatever is being yelled at by the notorious "Kyle's Mom" and, when the Minister has basically won his argument (as much as a South Park character can do so) he's asked, "Well, what about Bryan Adams?!" to which he says, "Now, now! The Canadian government apologized for Bryan Adams years ago!"

That cracks me up every time. I am a big dork.

I'd like to move to Canada. I really would. Seriously thinking about it. I'm not at all attached to America. :P

------------------
rambler
Visit disabledsex.org -- Disability and Sexuality.
Or, find out how to join the teen discussion list
The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well.
--Joe Ancis

Posts: 141 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not trying to rain on the parade here, but I'm not that attached to Canada. There are many, many things about it that I'd find hard to give up, but still, I'm sure I could find similar things to fall in love with in other places. Regardless, here are some things I'm pleased to be sort of close to...

The Weakerthans; the Flashing Lights; most of the stuff that lucina cited; godspeed you black emperor!; Julie Doiron; Kepler; Mike O'Neill; the Rheostatics; Oscar Peterson; Zumpano; Mint Records; Atom Egoyan; Bruce MacDonald; Pansy Division's 'Manada' song; Brave New Waves; Overnights on CBC Radio One; a right-wing opposition more hapless than the most hapless bunch you can imagine; my cousin's place in Calgary with the rooftop patio - downtown skyline on one side, Rocky Mountains on the other; the Far North, which I'm very determined to see one day; sledding; cheap tuition, and; annual Canada Day fun in Ottawa, which, sadly I'll miss this year for work.

------------------
"...we're all thinking the same thing/let's not settle for satisfaction/we are women and men of action/let's stop clapping let's start doing/a dream for the teens and in-betweens and twenties yet unseen"
-Braid

[This message has been edited by Dzuunmod (edited 06-30-2001).]

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh 20 more mins until Canada Day

And thx so much Caro, we love you too

What do i like about Canada ... i'm not too sure. The barenaked ladies They're awsome ... I think that's it tho. And red is a pretty colour, so our flag is kinda cool.

What i don't like ... the fact that Canadian kids know more about American history than Canadian. That's really kinda sad. They did this thing on Global TV asking people certain questions ... such as what the first provinces into confederation were. I think about 2 people got it. That's so so sad ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sexy_Kitty14
Neophyte
Member # 1179

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sexy_Kitty14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a Newf and my favorite thing about canada would have to be the TV special "Talking to Americans".
Ok, so maybe thats not my favorite...but its definitly up there!

Posts: 20 | From: Newfoundland, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sexy_Kitty14
Neophyte
Member # 1179

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sexy_Kitty14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just thought of it! My top 2 favorite things about Canada....1-our spelling of colour and labour...and 2-The "North America Starts Here" sign...which convieniently happens to reside in St.Johns....Happy Canada Day!!
Posts: 20 | From: Newfoundland, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, it's officially CANADA DAY! I'm about 12 hours, i have to be down at the forks to see Matt Good...actually, he's not on till about 9.30 at night, but ya know, gotta hang out at osborne village and down by the river...i bet i just confused everyone who's never been to winnipeg.

Anywho, have a great day..and I Am Canadian!

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
And yet, in Newfoundland and Labrador, the Canadian flag flies at half mast every July 1. On July 1, 1916 at Beaumont-Hamel during the opening of the Battle of the Somme, the Royal Newfoundand Regiment went over the top to suffer 90% casualties in the first hour of the failed offensive against German positions. Never before nor since, has a Canadian regiment suffered such loses. http://cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/view.cgi?/news/2001/07/01/beaumont_hamel010701

Their memory was honoured today in France.

[This message has been edited by Bobolink (edited 07-01-2001).]

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cupcake
Activist
Member # 4356

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cupcake     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i remember hearing about that.
seems kind of ironic that July 1st is such a paradox: a celebration and a day of mourning.
I've never lived in Newfoundland, only Ontario and Alberta, but I have a lot of friends from there, and I have a lot of respect for you guys.
Happy Canada day to all!

(btw, I'm going to see Mars Attacks and Independence Day on July 4 )

Posts: 433 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we should have some kind of Canadian Scarleteens convention. It would probably end up being in Toronto :P but there's a few of us in Montreal, too. DC Willow, uh, me, and Dzuun, and Bettie, and maybe some others I'm not aware of. Or maybe Winnipeg. There seems to be several of you. Or Newfoundland. Nevermind .

Anyway, I like Canada. I like that we don't have a two party system. I like being the underdog. I like health care. I like Jorane and Sarah McLachlan.

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
broccolidiva
Activist
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for broccolidiva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I love our Canadian musicians, artists and dancers. We sure do turn out some of the cream of the crop!

Other than that, you've got to love those "Heritage Canada" moments on CBC!

Happy (belated) Canada day!,
Brocc

Posts: 66 | From: Toronto, ON, Canada | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As tomorrow is Canada Day, I'm just bumping this up for any new Canucks hanging around the boards, or any elders who have something new to add.

Like me: I'm happy to be in a place with Moneen, Weights and Measures, North of America, Hockey Night in Canada (but sadly, that's only in English now), the Montreal Expos (but for how long, who knows), and many other things that I'm not thinking of right now.

------------------
"At 3 a.m. they play O Canada, true patriot love 'n la-la-la-la-la..."
-Joel Plaskett, 'True Patriot Love'

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kythryne
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5460

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kythryne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing this reminded me that a great many musicians and writers that I like are Canadian. Lessee, musicians: Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell, Stan Rodgers, Neil Young, Buffy Ste.-Marie, Sarah McLachlan, Alanis Morisette, k.d. lang, Gordon Lightfoot, Diana Krall. And for writers, you can't beat Charles de Lint and Margaret Atwood.

Oh, and the very yummy movie Better than Chocolate was made in Canada, yes?

So a very Happy Canada Day to all our Canadian volunteers and staff. Y'all are great.

------------------
Kythryne Aisling
Scarleteen Sexpert

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and go well with ketchup.

[This message has been edited by kythryne (edited 06-30-2002).]

Posts: 1685 | From: New York City | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

In honour of Canada Day:

Canadians - Bif Naked

Jim Carey is a Canadian, K.D Lang is a Canadian, Martin Short is a Canadian, Priere Trudeau, is a Canadian, Micheal.J.Fox is a Canadian, Leslie Nielson is a Canadian, Shannon Tweed is a Canadian, huuuuh, MAC make-up is a Canadian, Linda Evangelista is a Canadian. NnnNeail Young is a Canadian, Brain Adams is a Canadian, Sharon Breaneau is a Canadian, Wayne Gretzy is a Canadian, Irvin Layton is a Canadian, Ferusa Bulk is a Canadian, Mike Myers is a Canadian, Yasmine Gallowry is a Canadian, Shalom Harlow is a Canadian, DICK ass man is a Canadian, Celine Deon is a Canadian, Sabastion Botch is a Canadian, Kella Furr is a Canadian, Paul Shafer is a Canadian, Peter Jennings is a Canadian, Alex Trebek is a Canadian, Monty Hall is a Canadian, Shynia Twain is a Canadian, Rick Moranis is a Canadian, Keanu Reeves is a Canadian, Pamela Anderson is a Canadian, and me, and you.

This Canada i'm planning to head to the forks, possibly, or maybe just hang around in Assinaboine Park. Either way, the weather is gorgeous!

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Happy Canada Day!

------------------
'You've got the eyes of ten women. Not in a jar! I wasn't accusing you. I just mean your eyes are really nice'-coupling

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yaaaaaaay ... another year has passed!

Happy Canada Day to all

(and the weather is gorgeous huh? I beg to differ. I'm not a big fan of hot, humid, sticky, smoggy weather ... but maybe that's just me. I want my snow back )

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LilBlueSmurf:

(and the weather is gorgeous huh? I beg to differ. I'm not a big fan of hot, humid, sticky, smoggy weather ... but maybe that's just me. I want my snow back )

Ahh how could you say that! hehe I'm lovin' the extremely hot weather! it's perfect to get a nicccce tan! and it's always fun to go swimming on a really really hot day!

Happy belated Canada Day

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Heheh, the weather was perfectly nice here. We had our hot, humid, muggy days a few back. Yesterday and today were highs of 28 and very nice, no humidity.

------------------

Erin Jane
~Scarleteen Advocate~

DC_WillowFan
Activist
Member # 631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC_WillowFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time goes so fast doesn't it ? I thought this topic was new and was actually surprised to see I had replied to it a year ago.

Well, what changed in a year ? Not much. I still LOVE Canada for what it is, for it's history and for the nature we have. Also, there's so many ethnical respect, and proudness over here. You can feel Canadian even if you're from another country.

For my fave Canadian artists: Shania Twain, Jacynthe, Celine Dion, Alanis Morissette, Bryan Adams, The Wilkinsons, Nelly Furtado, and I'm so proud of our newcomer Avril Lavigne from Napanee.

I'm also proud of our athletes: Canada Team in olympic hockey (both male and female), Jacques Villeneuve, Alex Tagliani, Patrick Carpentier, Paul Tracy, and so many I might not know about.

Anyway, just let you know I AM CANADIAN ! And very proud to be.

Take care,
David

------------------
- I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.

Anne Frank to her journal
(1929-1945)

Posts: 201 | From: Montreal, Qc, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.