Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Nails

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nails
izziel1923
Neophyte
Member # 4271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for izziel1923     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know how to get nail polish to stay on longer than a day, short of getting tham professionally done?

------------------
~*~Sarah~*~
Take my hand and we can fly higher than the stars.

Posts: 27 | From: Asheville, NC - Freak Capitol of the US and proud of it | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You put on a first coat (clear), two coats of nailpolish (let them dry between coats or they'lll never dry), and then put a (clear) topcoat on it. Voila

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

"Just say no" fights teen pregnancy the way "hey, cheer up" fights manic depression.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and don't use crappy brands. use something you can trust. i dig Hard Candy. Great colors, very durable.

------------------
| |: BGBGDGBG BGBGCGBG :| |

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeppers, use good quality nail polish. no watery stuff. make sure your nails are clean and dry (no lotions, oils etc) before you begin. then follow pixie's steps; base coat, 2 color coats, 1 top coat. make sure each layer is dry before going on to the next.
Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't put to much on. It will last for about a week then it will chip really bad. I went and got my nails done at a cosmo school and the girl put on about 7 coats on each finger. They looked great, but very thick.

------------------
Every time someone says, 'I don't believe in fairies,' one falls over dead.

[This message has been edited by CallMeBuffChick (edited 06-27-2001).]

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aquamarine
Activist
Member # 3296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquamarine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The question, of course, was answered in the above helpful posts. I'd like to add something--

I rarely wear nail polish. It invariably starts to chip away after a short period of time, in spite of the fact that I always go by the guidelines given above. I suspect that this has something to do with my long swimming workouts. I wonder if the chlorine eats at the polish, or if I unknowingly brush my nails against the lane line, or...? Do any swimmers have similar nail situations?

Posts: 87 | From: bay area & new england | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
izziel1923
Neophyte
Member # 4271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for izziel1923     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I supose I'm not doing anything wrong. I was just wondering, I guess that it just depends on what stresses you put on your hands. And yes, water and chlorine do eat away at nail polish, I don't waer any when I'm life guarding for that very reason. All I could ever figure out is to use the Jet Set right before I went out.

------------------
~*~Sarah~*~
Take my hand and we can fly higher than the stars.

Posts: 27 | From: Asheville, NC - Freak Capitol of the US and proud of it | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.