Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » What collage/university Do you want to attend/go to now? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What collage/university Do you want to attend/go to now?
starrykiss
Neophyte
Member # 3948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for starrykiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The university I want to go to is the University Of South Florida.
The reason I want to go there is because I really want to get my Ph.D. in Marine Biology.

What is yours?

------------------
starrykiss*

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to Reed in the fall. Why? Because it's in the Pacific Northwest (yay, rain!) and is supposedly a fairly intellectual school full of weird people.
Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1.) Berkeley
2.) UNC
3.) or a really good performing arts school so I can major in theater so I can be a drama teacher

------------------
~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~
.:.Christine.:.
~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhere not in America, perhaps in the UK or Canada. If that doesn't work, somwhere in a big city like Juliard for music or theatre. If all else fails somewhere "prestigious," but I hope it never comes to that.
Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay, Emerson! It's a creative arts school in Boston... that would be a miracle ;-)

------------------
"nothing's quite the same now - I just say your name now - but it's not so bad - you're only the best I ever had"

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cate
Activist
Member # 3634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i am only 15 so i have a ways to go until collage but I really want to go to Harvard University!! (laughing at myself! I don't have the grades to get into harvard, it's just my fantasy dream!)
Well anyways the collage I have a chance to get into is Boston University. (I want to become a doctor) I want to go to BU for a number of reasons a) its a good school
b) my lil bro wants to go there to play hockey there and were close
c) i love boston
Well I had to get that out!

------------------
Cate!

Posts: 87 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh ... I still have two years to go ... But i'm defineatly looking at my options.

1) McMaster Univ in Hamilton, Ont ~ This is one of four universities in Ontario that has the midwivery program that i need to be a midwife I've also heard very good things about the campus and the nursing program (I'll have to get my RN/NP first, and then do midwivery b/c it's just easier that way, i think)
2) Queens Univ in Kingston, Ont ~ They only have nursing ... So i'll do my RN/NP there and then move on elsewhere, where i can find the program i'm looking for. Daddy wants me to go there and since i'm controlled really easy when it comes to education by my parents. They're cutoff mark is 89 ... something i don't have. So i doubt i'll end up here.
3) Ryerson Polytechnic Univ in Toronto, Ont ~ They have the midwife program i want ... and every other univ. in Ont. has nursing (which is good for me, b/c ontario is seriously lacking all kinds of nurses) ... Also, it's right smack dab in the middle of my fave city in the world ... TORONTO!

Wish me luck

------------------
When mom found my diaphram, I told her it was a bathing cap for my cat.
~ Liz Winston

In a Smurf's world ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cate
Activist
Member # 3634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck LilBlueSmurf!!
And the rest of you girls and guys!

Posts: 87 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to get around to doing a PhD sometime soonish. I'd like to go to one of:
1) MIT
2) University of California San Diego
3) Virginia Polytechnic

------------------
Fred Durst: Alternative "tough" guy...
...or whiny little weasel with a third grade vocabulary?

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to Loyola College in Maryland for my undergraduate degree, and I've been at Purdue University for the last three years, where I got a master's degree and am now working on a Ph.D in rhetoric and composition.

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daisyluv
Activist
Member # 446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daisyluv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I start Chef Training in September at George Brown College in Toronto

*hehe* got into top choice

Posts: 123 | From: My House, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I go to McGill University. People here are snobby and call it Harvard of the north, but you've probably never heard of it There are lots of Americans here, though. It's cheap for them, and they get to drink at 18! Rents are pretty cheap in this city too. I don't know, the campus is nice, and supposedly I'm getting a quality education. Or maybe I'm just going to school with a bunch of rich brats with big egos!
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AngelElisheva
Activist
Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AngelElisheva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm only 14, so I have a ways to go yet, but within the next few years I hope to be good enough to get into a good music conservatory like Oberlin or Curtis, maybe Juiliard. They're all pretty prestigious, and they're close to home, so that makes them pretty optimal. They're basically the Harvards of music - if you graduate from Juiliard, you've got it made.

On the other hand, if I'm not good enough for music school, I'll probably end up at Massachusetts Institute of Technology or Princeton (with its Plasma Physics Laboratory) studying Nuclear Physics or Astrophysics or something of that sort. My grandfather was the nuclear engineer on the sub that was supposed to launch the nuclear bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but their guns were pointing in the wrong direction, so they sent a bomber to do it instead.

Pretty eclectic, eh?

~Angel~

------------------
Nobody knows what you know, nobody's seen what you've seen, nobody's lived what you've lived...so why let them judge you?
~Personal Quote~

You know, Hobbes, sometimes I think the surest sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
~Calvin~

Posts: 176 | From: Middle of Nowhere, PA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was younger, all I wanted to do was go to Berkeley. Then when I was 14 my family took a trip to NorCal and I got to see some of the campus. Unfortunately, I picked a day when there was a riot going on.

That same year I'd investigate other colleges while on family vacations. I finally narrowed it down to Northwestern University (the place where my parents met and I was much later born), or Georgetown. As a backup plan, I applied to five University of California schools in case I wasn't accepted for my first-choice school.

As it turned out, I was accepted everywhere I applied...but my mother passed away just before it came time to make a decision. After a long talk with my Dad, I figured it would be smarter to stay local to keep an eye on my family.

So, as my name implies, I've been at UCLA for 4 years and I have enjoyed it immensely. I'm hoping one day to come back and get a Master's in Urban Planning, but we'll just see about that.

------------------
"Unit 12, 12D, 16A, 18S; respond to the fight in progress, weapons used are hands and feet. Suspect 1 is a male white with no arms or legs..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
exit seraphim
Activist
Member # 2566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for exit seraphim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well...Juliard or Crane (At SUNY Potsdam) if i want music to be my life.

my boyfriend is going to the School of the Holy Cross in sept...i'm gonna miss him.

i really don't kno what i want to do with my life yet. if i wanted to become a sexual health educator...what would a good school be?

-justine

Posts: 142 | From: H*Ton, NY | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshleyInABottle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's cool ErinK..one of my former teachers (one of my favorites actually) went to Loyola too (I live in MD).

------------------
"I do what my rice krispies tell me to do"

Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
whoo, I am a 4th year student at UC Berkeley, and it is kicking my heinie!!!

Always wanted to be an Oxbridge student, though. oh well.

Next up is graduate school in Public Health. I'm shooting for Berkeley or UCLA. but i'll go anywhere they'll take me (and my shoddy grades).

GO BEARS!

------------------
i use angst

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i am going to start in a community collage and then prbably go to the univerity of dayton or write state university im not sure yet.
Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Juliard! That's the one I was thinking of but couldn't get the name of.

Does anyone know how hard it is to get into there?

------------------
~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~
~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unless things have changed in the last...umm...more than a decade, it isn't easy.

You do need to have a very solid foundation of musical training and talent, and it is a small school.

In addition, bear in mind that Julliard does not have dormitories (unless, again, that has changed recently). the cost of living in NYC is HORRIBLY high, so you will need either some pretty decent money every month for reant, meals and living expenses, or you will likely have to work full-time while studying there.

I ended up not going to Julliard (afiter three full years at a performing arts school which included serious opera study and graduate-level music theory) simply because even with scholarship, there was no way I could have afforded living expenses there during college.

Look around though, and just bear that in mind -- that doesn't need to turn you totally away from it. But other colleges also have excellent music schools, like Oberlin, for instance.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Heather...you're the greatest!

------------------
~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~
~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~

KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a 'Vandy girl' myself...lol, gotta love going to the "Harvard of the South".

~KittenGoddess

------------------
the kittenblog

"Follow me or perish, sweater monkeys!"
~from 'Bring It On'

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starry Night
Activist
Member # 3476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starry Night     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to GW in the fall. They have one of the best political communications programs in the US..and their hospital (if I go the med route) is amazing as well.

I was going to go to georgetown but I didn't accept the offer b/c I wasn't comfortable in their learning environment - aka the classrooms - which i really learned 2 yrs ago during a summer program there. Far too religious for my taste. So GW it is! (same city, lol)

Posts: 164 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zae~Zae
Activist
Member # 2946

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zae~Zae     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like these college:

1.Clark Atlanta University
2.University of South Carolina
3.University of North Carolina
4.Duke University
5.Clemson University

There are a few more. I must narrow down my decision b4 next fall.
)

Posts: 91 | From: South Carolina, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
buffchick - [flips through [/i]the insider's guide to the colleges[/i]] - juilliard does, in fact, now have a dorm. it's new, apparently. however, it is extremely hard to get into, probably cuz it's so little (465 undergard students.) they only take 8%!

those of you considering performing arts (there seem to be a lot of you) should maybe consider the tisch school at NYU. very prestigious, but wicked cool.

thisguy - come to MIT, please do! you'll be right near me.

exit seraphim - your bf is going to school of the holy cross? is that the holy cross that's in massachusetts? one of my best friends is going there next year too.

em

------------------
if you want to kiss the sky, you better learn how to kneel (on your knees, boy) -U2

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AngelElisheva
Activist
Member # 3815

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AngelElisheva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CallMeBuffChick,

Julliard is basically impossible to get into - you pretty much have to be an upcoming Yo Yo Ma on your own instrument. However, other music schools, such as Oberlin, where most of the outstanding musicians in my area have gone, Boston Music Conservatory, and many others are just as good. Actually, one girl opted for Oberlin over Julliard, so just keep your options open.

~Angel~

------------------
Nobody knows what you know, nobody's seen what you've seen, nobody's lived what you've lived...so why let them judge you?
~Personal Quote~

You know, Hobbes, sometimes I think the surest sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
~Calvin~

Posts: 176 | From: Middle of Nowhere, PA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm at Concordia. Of the two English schools in Montreal (McGill being the other - see Rizzo's post) this is the accessible one. And it's very accessible.

For a population of about 25,000 students, there are only residence spaces for about 150. About half of the population is comprised of part-time students. Most classes are held during the day, but a significant number go at night. I've been in classes where 8 or 10 over-60-ish (agewise) people have been enrolled.

Oh, and the student union here is probably comparable to that of Berkeley. Just a few months ago military and security agencies (Canada's answer to the CIA, basically) had recruiting tables on campus. Some members of the student union protested, ultimately flipping over the tables.

There's seriously never a dull moment here.

------------------
When you get off work tonight, meet me at the construction site, and we'll write some notes to tape to the heavy machines, like "We hope they treat you well. Hope you don't work too hard. We hope you get to be happy sometimes."
-the Weakerthans

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
exit seraphim
Activist
Member # 2566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for exit seraphim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
em - yes that would be the one!
Posts: 142 | From: H*Ton, NY | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm applying for University of British Columbia, University of Toronto and University of York this September.

And if anyone knows of any good Unis in Melbourne with relatively few Singaporeans, please throw some names my way.

My dream Uni would be Columbia University doing Journalism. *sigh* Bloody US dollar.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michelle
Activist
Member # 247

Icon 1 posted      Profile for michelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1)University of Texas at Austin
2) Texas A&M
3) Rice
4) Duke
i'm also thinking about others...i can't decide
i'm gonna go for pre-med though

------------------
"You choose your socks by their color and you choose your friends by their character. To choose your socks by their character is dumb and to choose your friends by their color is unthinkable."--anonymous

Posts: 100 | From: TX, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i know ppl at Rice and UT Austin.

i'm pre-med. it's a rough ride, so hang in there.

------------------
i use angst

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lin, if you're applying to Canadian universities for journalism, two more you might want to consider (there are a number more) are Ryerson in Toronto (neither York nor U of T have the program) and Concordia, where I'm at.

I'm actually in the Journalism program here at Concordia. Seems pretty average to me, but I love living in this city. I suppose you'd need to learn another language to get along here, however. Good luck!

------------------
When you get off work tonight, meet me at the construction site, and we'll write some notes to tape to the heavy machines, like "We hope they treat you well. Hope you don't work too hard. We hope you get to be happy sometimes."
-the Weakerthans

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to go to Mills sooooooo much. I visited it over winter break and I've been obsessed with it ever since. The only problem is convincing my parents to let me go there. It's all the way across the country. That's one of the big reasons I want to go there. If they refuse to let me go, they can't really stop me, they can just make my life more difficult by not paying for college. Unless I get some sort of big scholarship I won't be able to afford Mills on my own. So in that case, I'll go to the New College of California, which I can afford on my own if I get a job and stuff. It's this alternative liberal arts school that looks very weird and cool. It's in San Francisco so I'll visit it this summer. I don't remember who said this already, but I also really want to be a sexuality educator(Scarleteen has so inspired me :P). My big silly plan would be to teach English and Sex Ed. at a highschool. Hey . . . if gym teachers can teach sex ed., why not English teachers? So, does anyone know of any colleges that have any sort of program for sexuality education? More likely I'd have to do it in grad school, but I also have this other very silly plan. I could major in English-Creative Writing and minor in Human Sexuality(I swear I saw this at one college), and then go do that teaching certification thing, because I think that only takes a year or two. Ok, I plan way too much. I'm only a junior. BTW, my girlfriend wants to go to Reed, so that will work out nicely that we'll both be in the northwest. Heehee, I'm already planning that we'll still be together over a year from now and we've only been together for a month!

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fabulous Dzuun. Thanks so much.
Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
starrykiss
Neophyte
Member # 3948

Icon 1 posted      Profile for starrykiss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope all of you get to go to collage. My mother is the only one on both sides that has a degree(she is a teacher so she has to)

I am hoping I get to be the second.
My family was basicly red necks and farmer.

Will good luck!

Wishing you the best

------------------
starrykiss*

Posts: 14 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.