Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » SQUIRRELS!!!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SQUIRRELS!!!!!!
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yesterday, my neighbour came over. She had a shoe box and inside were two baby squirrels, which had not even opened their eyes yet. Two adorable red squirrels. She was looking for someone to watch them because she had to work. Of course, I volunteered. So, I went to a search engine and found "baby squirrel formula" and took care of them all last night (even while I was baby-sitting) and this morning.

I had to wake up every 3 hours to check on them and feed them and boy am I beat. But it was worth it, not that they are warm and sleeping and looking a little more healthy.

Originally there were four baby squirrels in the squirrels nest, but two passed away yesterday morning.

So last night I called the "Manitoba Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre" and left a message. This morning, my mom and I drove out there and gave them my squirrels. Simon and Bobbles are now being raised there and will be released as soon as they are old enough.

Well, because I'm me, I had to ask if I could possibly volunteer this summer. The girl said they are always looking for volunteers! YAYAY! So, the point of this post is...

Has anything like this ever happened to anyone else? What do ya think about it all?

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last summer there was a nest of birds living in my attic. Do not ask me how they got in there.. I don't have a clue.. but my mom wanted them OUT! The thing was the mother had just has 3 baby birds, and when the man came to take the birds out of my attic the mother flew away and left the baby's. So my aunt and I fed the little one's, kept them in a warm box, and took care of them until one day they were gone!? I hope they're still doin' alright!

------------------
"nothing's quite the same now - I just say your name now - but it's not so bad - you're only the best I ever had"

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly, one of the other advocates got bitten by a squirrel on her last anniversary...anybody remember who it was? Anyway, I think squirrels are cute. On campus, we've got lots of squirrels. There was one my freshman year that lived outside my window, and the poor thing used to cry all the time, it made me sad. Oh, and then there's this one that I always used to see when I was walking to my car...the front half was red, and the back half was grey. Like someone had dipped it in paint or something.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
the kittenblog

"Follow me or perish, sweater monkeys!"
~from 'Bring It On'

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Ever since i got bit by a squirrel (remember that people?) I really dont like them at all. Everytime I see one I yell at it and scare it away. RAR!!! GO AWAY!

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HA! I remember glitter...I thought it was you, but I wasn't sure.

Check it out: http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum3/HTML/000618.html

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laughs_Wisely
Activist
Member # 2610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laughs_Wisely     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've handled wild bats (gloves on...they can bite), mice, squirrels, two robins, a cedar waxwing and a crow. I'm certainly no amateur when it comes to handling wild animals.

The crow was a young one, I wouldn't hazard a guess how young. I saw it hopping around on my front lawn one afternoon after school. When I approached it, it hopped away. When I ran at it, it hopped away. Crows here aren't stupid, so I looked a little closer and realised it had an injured wing. I chased that bloody crow for half an hour until I got him inside and into a shoebox. I fed him a couple of cornflakes, gave him water, then took him to the Vet College.

The most recent animal encounter I had was with a bat that had gotten lost and ended up in my friend's bathroom sink. I was just reaching in to wash my hands when I realised that the bat was there. I screamed (I was surprised. It's a reflex). The bat hissed. I yelled for a pair of gloves. The bat gave me hell while I took it out of the sink and carried it outside to my buddy's woodpile. I think it crawled under a coupla logs and left that night.

Posts: 140 | From: Saskatoon, SK, Canada | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the topic of baby animals ... a few years ago, there was a cardinals nest right outside our back porch window. We have a lilac bush, so it was semi-protected. But anyway, the cardinal layed 5 eggs and they all hatched. So we could just pull up a blind and see all these cute litte cardinals screaming for food! They were soooooo cute! But then our next door neighbors cats got to 'em ... there's a reason I don't like cats ...
Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, today i called for an update on Simon and Bobbles. *sigh*

They died yesterday. Poor little guys. The woman said they were just to young to survive without their mother. I almost cried when she told, but i managed to compose myself. Well, i hope they're happy wherever they may be.

*bye guys, i miss ya already*

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.