Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Safer Sex/Self-Defense Fair

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Safer Sex/Self-Defense Fair
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is my super-excited announcement.

On June 9th in Brooklyn, New York, there will be a Safer Sex and Self-Defense Fair at the Center for Anti-Violence Education.

This is the Teen Women's Karate/Self-Defense class's Activism Project for the year. We will be running workshops throughout the day on safer sex and self-defense(seperately).
There will also be information tables, fun activities, and supercool games, all relating to sexuality education.

The fair is for teens ages 13-19, with ID. Adults may come if accompanied by a teen(so, if you want to bring a parent, that's cool, but adults can't just wander in alone to be weird).

Why you should come: Of course, because your very own Poetgirl is very involved in it and running some safer sex workshops. It will be sooooo much fun. I promise, really. It's completely free. We'll be giving out free condoms, dental dams, gloves, and lube. You'll learn lots of cool stuff, and even if you already know all the safer sex info from Scarleteen, bet you've never played a sex readiness boardgame. Or seen my very special dental dam magic trick. And self-defense is also really fun. We'll also have snacks. Hear that? Free food on top of everything else.

Logistics: Saturday, June 9th. 1:30-5:30.
13-19 with ID, or adults with teens. It's at the Center for Antiviolence Education.
421 5th Ave., Second Floor, Brooklyn, NY.
It's between 8th street and 7th street. You can get there by taking the N,R, or M trains to 9th street, or the F train to 4th avenue.
The phone number is (718)788-1775 in case my directions completely confused you.

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to go!!! It's not fair. I can't imagine anywhere round here daring to have something like that.
Good luck anyway, hope you have fun!

Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PoetgirlNY:
This is my super-excited announcement.

On June 9th in Brooklyn, New York, there will be a Safer Sex and Self-Defense Fair at the Center for Anti-Violence Education.

This is the Teen Women's Karate/Self-Defense class's Activism Project for the year. We will be running workshops throughout the day on safer sex and self-defense(seperately).
There will also be information tables, fun activities, and supercool games, all relating to sexuality education.

The fair is for teens ages 13-19, with ID. Adults may come if accompanied by a teen(so, if you want to bring a parent, that's cool, but adults can't just wander in alone to be weird).

Why you should come: Of course, because your very own Poetgirl is very involved in it and running some safer sex workshops. It will be sooooo much fun. I promise, really. It's completely free. We'll be giving out free condoms, dental dams, gloves, and lube. You'll learn lots of cool stuff, and even if you already know all the safer sex info from Scarleteen, bet you've never played a sex readiness boardgame. Or seen my very special dental dam magic trick. And self-defense is also really fun. We'll also have snacks. Hear that? Free food on top of everything else.

Logistics: Saturday, June 9th. 1:30-5:30.
13-19 with ID, or adults with teens. It's at the Center for Antiviolence Education.
421 5th Ave., Second Floor, Brooklyn, NY.
It's between 8th street and 7th street. You can get there by taking the N,R, or M trains to 9th street, or the F train to 4th avenue.
The phone number is (718)788-1775 in case my directions completely confused you.

What a great idea! Now, if only you could arrange to have one in LA!

------------------
"Only in dreams
We see what it means
Reach out our hands
Hold on to hers
But when we wake
It's all been erased
And so it seems
Only in dreams..."
-Weezer

"Wow, someone slept in sex ed!"

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
exit seraphim
Activist
Member # 2566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for exit seraphim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes! hopefully i can go! woooo!

-justine

Posts: 142 | From: H*Ton, NY | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
exit seraphim- do you live in the area? If so, I hope to see you there. Yea!

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe, I think it's really cool that the parents have to be accompanied by a teen. Usually it's "If under 16, must be with someone 21 or older." That's a good idea. I would try to go if I lived in NY, but I don't. You'll just have to let everyone know how it went.

------------------
Sarcasmic, orgasmic, fantasmic...

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.