Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » American Unis

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: American Unis
Clav
Activist
Member # 678

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clav     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a couple of quick question to people in the US at uni. My sister is thinking maybe of going to uni in the US, and asked me a couple of questions I didn't know the answer to. But I thought some of you here might:

1) Is it true that many US unis don't have any student union bars (or indeed, any bars at all) on campus? (just to put that in perspecetive, here at Bath Uni which only has 5500ish students, 800-1000ish living on campus we have 5 bars (6 if you include the extra 'bottle bar' in the uni nightclub which is extra to the proper nightclub bar)

2)If so: what do you do for fun at night? I can't believe that you actually work. Uni culture, at least in the UK is work hard in the day, drink hard at night (except during exams. Had my first this morning...)

3) Do people in the US actually have mobile phones? 'Cos you never see them in any programs/films from the US except with business type people. In the UK I can only think of two people I know (including grandparents and children as young as 10) who don't have a phone. I'm accessing the net at the moment through my mobile (Nokia 6210 - same speed as a landline! But only as I'm in an annoying hall which doesn't have connection points to the uni network. Oh for a game of Black and White multiplayer...).
4) How much do phones in the US cost? And can you get pay-as-you-go services (and is SMS supported in the US)?
Cheers all
Calvin

Posts: 54 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. I don't know. I'd suspect not, though (particularly in the case of student union bars), considering that the legal age for drinking in America is 21, and a significant number of college students aren't that old yet.

2. No idea, although I'd think it would vary from person to person.

3. Oh, yes. Yes. Many people in the US , including students, have cell phones. When I was in high school, a large number of people carried them. Ditto for community college.

4. No idea how much a phone costs. I think (although I'm not sure, because I avoid cell phones due to being unable to stand them) that some companies have a pay as you go plan, and others have a pay in advance deal where you get a certain number of minutes, but I'm not sure.

Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. actually, no, most campuses that i know of have pubs. they allow everyone in, but only serve alcohol to those over 21.
2. that is such crap. people at college in the US drink just as much as anyone else, if that's what they want to do, even if they're underage. (i hate to say it but it's true) but, not everyone drinks. there are things for non-drinkers to do on weekends.
3. yes. lots and lots of people here have mobile phones. i have one. about half of my friends have them. you're making a generalization.
4. do you mean cell phones? i don't know what SMS is, please clarify. yes, you can get something called "calling cards" which are pay-as-you-go service. i don't know how much my phone costs. i think it was around $50 this month because of roaming charges, but i think my plan costs around $30 for basic service, 350 peak minutes per month, plus free nights and weekends.

em

------------------
if you want to kiss the sky, you better learn how to kneel (on your knees, boy) -U2

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by emsily0:
4. do you mean cell phones? i don't know what SMS is, please clarify.

As long as its the same there as it is here, it stands for Short Message Service.. sending text messages from your phone to another phone, or from a free SMS website such as mtnsms.com to someones cell.

I'm an SMS addict Currently seeking therapy

entropie

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, funny I haven't seen you in group therapy entropie honey.

*sigh* One thing I know for sure about American Unis, they are teribly terribly expensive. The darn US dollar.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
good heaven, you make us sound like luddites!

yes, we have pubs. some will illegally let you drink if you are under 21 (shame on you!!! and shame on them!!!). there are fraternity parties and just parties in general (but shouldn't you be studying?)

i have gone to some parties. i hate frat parties. i've been kicked out of bars all over san francisco (i look even younger than i really am). and i go to many concerts. "many" is an understatement.

we have mobile phones. oi, geez, they're everywhere. i hate mobile phones. i hate when they go off during exams.

may i recommend the University of California at Berkeley. we're the leading public university in the united states. we are far superior to stanford. and the parties are quite good.

------------------
i use angst

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. UCLA used to have a student union bar, it was done away with after people started dropping dead from alcohol poisoning. However, in 1995 we got Maloney's in Westwood which is down the street from UCLA. That is the only watering-hole within walking (or even bicycling) distance.

2. There are a few clubs downtown, but none in the immediate area of campus. One can drive his or her vehicle to Hollywood (10 minute drive along Sunset Boulevard) for fun at night, or one can throw a party in his or her dorm room. One should, however, avoid the fraternity houses at all costs.

3. Mobile phones are all over the place. People talk on them in class, out of class, walking to class, while skipping class etc. People also drive like imbeciles when they use mobile phones at the same time. Laws are springing up all over the Los Angeles area which are limiting cellular phone use while driving, and many restaurants have signs outside pleading with customers to turn off cellular phones before coming inside.

4. There are a few companies in this area which provide pay-as-you-go service, but I read in the LA Times last week that this service is actually losing money for the cellphone companies, and will be dropped shortly.

SMS is very rarely used in my area. When I downloaded the newer version of SMS I sent messages to my friends and scared the daylights out of them. Not many people out here have heard of SMS and know how to use it.

------------------
"Unit 16 from 11B, the one running through the park is the one with the gun."
"11B from 16, you mean the naked guy?"
"Yup."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
Most Ontario universities have student pubs in their individual colleges. Mind you the legal drinking age is 19 here, 18 in Quebec.

There are a lot of cell phones here. Mine is on a pay-as-you-go plan. I find it very handy but turn it off when i am in an innappropriate place to be making or receiving calls.

------------------
The most exciting phrase in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" ("I found it!") but rather "Hmmm... that's funny...."

- Isaac Asimov

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most universities I know of in Canada have students bars. Mine does, but since the campus is downtown, most students don't actually hang out there for fun. There are plenty of other bars and attractions nearby.
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clav
Activist
Member # 678

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clav     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers all, now I can sound intelligent the next time I see my sister

quote:
Originally posted by Gumdrop Girl:
good heaven, you make us sound like luddites!

Sorry, no offense meant! It's just the impression I get from US TV programs!
And yes, SMS is short-message service in the UK as well. Most industry analysts agree it created a large part of the demand for mobiles in the UK (sorry, I've had to research the phone industry recently. Full of useless facts...)
Calvin

Posts: 54 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh. yeah, we have SMS. a lot of the older phones don't have it, but you can send a text message to any phone from the internet, or if you have an SMS phone (we call it text messaging) you can send them from phone to phone. i don't even know if my phone does it...i think it's sort of pointless, actually.

em

------------------
if you want to kiss the sky, you better learn how to kneel (on your knees, boy) -U2

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.