Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Go Ask Alice

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Go Ask Alice
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hvae any of you ever read that book? I have read it, and I'm reading it again. Its a great book.

Heres the story on the back of the book:

January 24
After you've had it, there isn't even life without drugs....

The harrowing true story of a teenage descent into the seductive world of drugs. A diary so honest you may think that you know Alice-or someone like her. Read her diary. Enter her world. You'll never able to forget Alice.

People, this book is awesome, I think you all would enjoy it A LOT!!! I just wanted to share one of the books that I really enjoy!!

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ooh! i have that book! i love it. it's sitting next to my bed, actually. it's not really a diary - i mean, i think it may have originally been, but it was edited and reconstructed to the point that it's more of a work of fiction now, but god it's eerie how realistic she is. there are definitely points in that book that i recognize in myself.

em

------------------
if you want to kiss the sky, you better learn how to kneel (on your knees, boy) -U2

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read it thrice. It really is extraordinary, but it's best when you can really make time for it and not reading 5 other books in school as well.

------------------
"nothing's quite the same now - I just say your name now - but it's not so bad - you're only the best I ever had"

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've read it so many times the cover has fallen off. It's amazing!!! Everyone should read it.

------------------
"Only in dreams
We see what it means
Reach out our hands
Hold on to hers
But when we wake
It's all been erased
And so it seems
Only in dreams..."
-Weezer

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: All your base are belong to us!

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about the movie, has anyone seen that? My boyfriend and I went to go rent it at Hollywood video, but they didnt have it. We checked online @ blockbuster and they have it, so we are going to get it sometime. For those of you who have seen it, is it like the book?

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aquamarine
Activist
Member # 3296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquamarine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a good deal of the book memorized. I first read it a couple of years ago. It's interesting that even as the decades changed, many of the same drugs are still in fashion.

I haven't seen the movie. Like glitter asked, has anyone watched it, and was it faithful to the book?

Posts: 87 | From: bay area & new england | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlinkN*boys182
Activist
Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlinkN*boys182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I absouluty love that book. It really makes you think alot about what hard drugs can do to you. I know it keeps me off acid, I used to be a wicked acid head. That book has kept me off it for over a year now, pretty cool aye?
Abby

------------------
Sometimes you have to kiss ass, before you can kick it

Watch out! I spell awful!

Posts: 60 | From: over the rainbow | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds interesting, i think i shall take a look.

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto.... I'll have to pick it up sometime!

------------------
Mary, Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow?

"Well, I use fertilizer and a new product I got at The Home Depot."

Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by glitter695:
How about the movie, has anyone seen that? My boyfriend and I went to go rent it at Hollywood video, but they didnt have it. We checked online @ blockbuster and they have it, so we are going to get it sometime. For those of you who have seen it, is it like the book?

There's a movie??!!

------------------
"Only in dreams
We see what it means
Reach out our hands
Hold on to hers
But when we wake
It's all been erased
And so it seems
Only in dreams..."
-Weezer

"Wow, someone slept in sex ed!"

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cypher
Activist
Member # 1881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cypher     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go Ask Alice was an incredible book!

I think it would be one of the best way to spread information about the negative effects of drugs to youth. I mean, I was never into drugs to begin with, but this is the kind of book that would squish anyone's even minimal interest in experimentation instantly.

------------------
Smile, though your heart is breaking....

My crazy little universe....

"Whatever tomorrow brings I'll be there....
With open arms and open eyes...."

-Incubus

Posts: 289 | From: Canada | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and to think that Go Ask Alice is banned from many, many school libraries.

I have to concur with the current mood in the room: Go Ask Alice has kept me from ever even TRYING any drug.

find me another work of fiction that's written so accessibly for teenagers and is so effective and I'll...I'll...I don't know, mail Lin a box of TimTams? what are TimTams, anyway?

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/.
"Is love like the sweet, bitter taste of marmalade on burnt toast?"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Yeah girlie there is a movie, my mom told me about it.

I think you can get it at a public library too.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*

Giggeler247
Neophyte
Member # 3615

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Giggeler247     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last year when lit class was doing a section on censored books "Go ask Alice" was the book i got for my book group. And was i glad i got it! i love it!!! it ttells so much about the real world and what other people are actualy doing. It gives you an example of a person who is reallys messed up and teaches you not to be liek her.

If you havebt read theis book you need to do it now!!! it is the best!!!

Posts: 17 | From: West Linn, Oregon, 97068 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to have to get that book. It sounds very good. I've heard of it but I didn't really know what it was about. It sounds like a book I would like a lot. I'm looking for something good to read anyway.

------------------
Sarcasmic, orgasmic, fantasmic...

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.