Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » AIDS is a killer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: AIDS is a killer
skaterdansgirl469
Neophyte
Member # 3780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skaterdansgirl469     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my mom just recently died of the AIDS virus and i want to knwo if anyone really knows anything about it, she got it by doing drugs adn have unsafe sex, and i just want all of you reading this that it is a reality and it does kill and it is painful to the person contracted with the disease and to the family. the pain that is caused by it isnt worth anything in the world so you guys out there having sex with people, use protection and get tested ,cuz no one deserves the pain, no one.

------------------
sex is not the answer, yes is the answer, sex is the question!

Posts: 20 | From: crystal lake il. USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm sorry to hear about your loss, skaterdan's girl.

what I know about AIDS is solely on the impersonal level of someone who studies biology. things like what is a retrovirus, how do they replicate, what cells does HIV attack, etc. i've never had to deal with the reality of AIDS in my day to day life (But Caro has, so please read her story on this site, I don't know the url. sorry!).

coincidentally, i just translated a story from Thai to English about a little boy who lost his mother to AIDS; it was a very bittersweet story, and I almost started crying when I got to the end of the story. (I'll let all of you know when it's published so you can pick up a copy )

I think the most dangerous aspect of the AIDS epidemic is the current feeling of complacency within the populace. Many people never think it could happen to them, so they carry on with their risky habits (this goes for all STDs, not just AIDS). People hear about a new drug, a new protease inhibitor, a new pill-cocktail that can prolong the lives of AIDS patients. They forget that these things are NOT cures and that AIDS is 100% fatal. Relaxed attitude towards AIDS have led to an increase in the number of HIV cases within the gay population. Women are more susceptible to HIV than men, and unsafe sexual practices have led to sharp growth in the numbers of heterosexual women with HIV. Teenagers are getting HIV now, too.

anyway, check out: http://www.amFAR.org

------------------
The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the universe is constantly moving to a state of greater entropy s, therefore, delta s is always greater than zero.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really sorry to hear about your loss as well honey.

And I think, as we have discussed in Sexual Politics, what is really worrying now is that people think of AIDS as "just another disease". People are starting to think that that wonderful cocktail of drugs is a gift from God and we do not have to be afraid of AIDS anymore because it can be controlled thus some people become more careless in using protection.

AIDS is a disease that affects many. Not just the individual, as skaterdansgirl has just shown us. So use that condom. Remember, condoms are your best friend.

And here's the link to the fabulous article written by our sexpert, Alaska.

Not A Faceless Disease

------------------
Want More Lin?

[This message has been edited by Lin (edited 05-20-2001).]

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Siren
Activist
Member # 3243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry for your loss.

I have a really good friend who has AIDS. He got it from having unprotected sex. He admits that, and also is very open about being gay (although most people know ANYONE can get AIDS). When he tested positive in 1986, it was during a time when HIV and AIDS was a fairly "new" disease. He said that when they told him what he had, he was sure he'd be dead in 6 months. But it's been 14 years and right now he's doing wonderfully. It does scare me that he might not be around for much longer though. He's a great person.

I don't think people should become careless when it comes to using condoms just because you can treat something. Not at all. If you face something as serious as AIDS, chances are you're not gonna be the only one effected by it. Those around you are too, in one way or another.

------------------
Lil Siren
-Scarleteen Advocate
"Those are some BIG ice cubes...."

Posts: 190 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too am sorry for your loss, and I thank you for posting this here as a reminder of how careful we all have to be. It scares me how careless people can be with sex. I was talking to a good friend of mine the other day about how I wouldn't give any guy oral sex without a condom unless he'd been tested twice six months apart and been completely monogamous. She said that you can only get AIDs if you have open sores in your mouth, or if you swallow the semen. I can't believe how ignorant she was being- those things might increase the risk, but the risk is always there. So thank you for posting and showing people how very real the danger is. Once again, my condolences for your mother.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlinkN*boys182
Activist
Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlinkN*boys182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My heart goes out to you. here is what i have to say about AIDS : There are 16 kids infected with AIDS in a high school near me. I am friends with alot of the kids who go there and i have been sexually active with one of them. I had to go get tested after i found that out. thank god it was negitive. Man this world is scary
Abby

------------------
Sometimes you have to kiss ass, before you can kick it

Watch out! I spell awful!

Posts: 60 | From: over the rainbow | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.