Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » the school musical! *gasp*

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: the school musical! *gasp*
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm so nervous, and I cannot believe i'm doing this.

Our school musical this year is Grease. Well, i said, if i had any guts i would try out.

Apparently, i recieved some guts today.

I haven't done any sorta singin or dancing on stage for 4 years. I'm told i'm a good singer, but i have doubts...i'm so nervous.

How many of ya guys out there have been in this situation? How did you deal with the fear and dread of the audition, which is next week by the way? Geez, i'm so nervous!

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, have I ever been there. I've been in a few musicals and plays before, and I student-directed a few my junior and senior year of high school -- which meant judging auditions

All the advice I can really offer is this - be pleasant to the judges, but don't brown-nose. We got a lot of unbelievably rude people, most of whom didn't get parts because we knew that if they were rude at auditions, they'd be holy hell during practices. Having people who went in, gave us a pleasant smile, did their routine without freaking out about messing up, and left with a pleasant smile was so refreshing.

From a performer's point of view:
Relax. You're human, the judges are human, the people you're going against are human.

Find a focal point on the wall above the judges table if you can't bring yourself to look at them.

Do your best, but more importantly, have fun.

And don't forget to breathe.

------------------
And there's nothing I can do, as I realize with fright, the spider-man is having me for dinner tonight!

Peek into my Mind.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aria is absolutely right, listen to her!

Other than that, absolutely don't lock your knees (but then you probably already know that). And walk in there with alot of confidence, like you own the world and you know it. My favorite method of boosting my confidence and getting rid of nerves is to stand if front of my mirror at home and sing along to "Bitch". That just makes me feel rather powerful.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
the kittenblog

"Fere libenter homines id quod volunt, credunt. Men willingly believe what they wish."
~Caius Julius Caeser

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
did Grease. hated it.

and i gaffed my audition badly, which didn't bother me 'cause i didn't care what part i got. might want to do relaxing exercises before you go on. breathe deep, count to 20.

------------------
The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the universe is constantly moving to a state of greater entropy s, therefore, delta s is always greater than zero.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
star1120
Activist
Member # 1624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for star1120     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
use all the advice given above!!! and i'd just like to add, that if you're dancing for the audition and you goof, don't make a face about it... just smile and pretend that it was supposed to be like that and keep going!! look like you're just having the best time in the world!! and if you're not dancing, with your audition song, add some movement and enthusiasm, lots of energy! and if you goof the song, same as above think and and act "it's supposed to be like that! i didn't goof!"

good luck!!!

------------------
" Life move pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Posts: 183 | From: ohio, usa | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a theater and acting geek, I can tell you right now about how awful auditions can be (like when I was trying out for the high school choir: I chose a pitch that was too high, ran out of air near the end of my song and couldn't take a breath, messed up my dance routine, and ran out crying.), but instead I'll give you some advice:

1. Be, or at least act, confident.
2. Try to ignore the people watching you. Act as though you're alone. Even go a little overboard!
3. Before you go onstage, take a deep breath, and try some relaxation exercises. Yoga is great (try that before you leave for the audition).

Good luck!!!!

------------------
"Only in dreams
We see what it means
Reach out our hands
Hold on to hers
But when we wake
It's all been erased
And so it seems
Only in dreams..."
-Weezer

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: All your base are belong to us!

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, i've gotten the audition package, for, ready for it....Sandy!

Well, i don't expect to get that, but it will get my foot in the door for a good part. Wish me luck, the 28th is my audition date...

Oh yes, does anyone know the actual tune for the middle of "look at me i'm sandra dee-reprise" because i can't find it, thanks, bye bye.

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Ahhh...i did my audition today. I totally screwed it up. It was so embarrasing, i could just feel my face turn red. *sigh* oh well, it happens.

------------------
-Miss Bif Naked

CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sweetie it's A O K! It takes mega guts to do what you did. I give you mad props for it. Two thumbs up!

I remember auditions for our musical,'Once On This Island,' awful. Just Awful. I went in there with confidence. Once I got on that stage I choked. I was able to sing but not like I should have. I was all extra soft singing. I was so mad at myself. Even thu I didn't make it, I shook it off, and now I know what to do next audition.

Remember this babycakes, just because you're name isn't on that cast list, it doesn't mean a thing! Hold you head high and pat yourself on the back. My fingers are crossed that your name is on it and break a leg!

------------------
~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~
.:.Christine.:.
~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Thanks CallMeBuffChick.
That really makes me feel better. Sounds like exactly what i did. I know i could have done 10 times better. Oh well, there's always next year. And thanks for the support.
*smiles*

------------------
-Miss Bif Naked

CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem!

------------------
~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~
.:.Christine.:.
~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.