Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Driving!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Driving!
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday, as I was driving home from UCLA at an approximate speed of 7 miles per hour (11 kilometers/hr for my friends in metric countries), I began to think about how important driving is to me.

Living in Los Angeles means that you need a car to survive. There are thousands of miles of freeway in LA County alone, and nearly no viable mass transit options are available. So out here, driving is king. I used to count down the days until I turned 16 so I could get my license and ferry my delinquent friends around.

What about you? How many of you drive? Do you mainly drive to school or work; or do you pile some friends in the car for day trips? And...I have to ask this...what is traffic like out there? (If it is good, I am going to move...)

--Danny

------------------
"Unit 11D to 16, is that you guys shootin'?"
"Negative, they're shooting at us!"
"11D copy...you'd better get some Code 6 rolling..."
"Gee, thanks..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great topic, Dan

But no ... unfortuneatly, i don't drive yet. Here in Ontario, we have three levels you have to go through before you get your full license. First is G1 ... which is a learners permit. You must take a written test and if you pass, you can drive w/ another licensed driver. This other person must be sober, awake, and in the front passanger seat of the car. After a year (or 8 months if you do driving lessons), you can be tested for you G2, which is a driving test. I think you can take you G test anytime after that, but i'm not sure.

I've never driven. I haven't even been tested for my G1 yet. I don't feel so bad tho ... my bf is 18 and he doesn't have his either, and my ex is 19 and doesn't have it yet. I lived in Toronto up until last August, so i really didn't care. I had the TTC (public transportation) to take me wherever i wanted to go. Belleville transport really don't go much of anywhere ... at least anywhere that i couldn't walk to if i really set my mind to it!I DO have the book tho... I just have to read it. And then come up w/ $100 to TAKE the test. It's another $10 to retake it if ya fail...

------------------
"Did you know ... you can have intercourse on Saturday and get pregnant on Monday?? Don't know how? :confused: ASK!

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I detest driving. I don't have my license yet, but I do have a learner's permit. I've had my permit for about 4 years now, actually. Here, if you fail the road test 3 times, you have to get permission from a judge or some nonsense to take the test again. I've failed it twice *eek!*

I do have a car, but it's only used for absolute emergencies -- someone's sick, my sister's "friends" abandoned her at school again, or Evan's completely out of food. Not to say that I'm advocating illegal driving -- it's a horribly unsafe thing to do. I really should take that test again before I get myself in trouble.

The traffic here isn't all that terrible. Of course, since this is a very small town, the roads aren't in the shape they should be, and people haven't the foggiest idea HOW to drive. *grr* Which is exactly why I failed the test the second time -- some person ran a red and I almost hit him. With the officer in the car. Oops.

------------------
And there's nothing I can do, as I realize with fright, the spider-man is having me for dinner tonight!

Peek into my Mind.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
haha Aria, that tale of driving test woe reminds me of my friend in high school. We have the most complex freeway grid in the world, so I can understand having a little bit of trouble with that part of the exam.

But my poor friend was clueless. He got on the freeway and attempted to merge into the number 5 lane...but didn't do so well. He managed to roll his mom's station wagon several times while on the freeway, trapping himself and his instructor in the car. He ended up having to be cut out of his car with the help of firefighters. Apparently, he was uninjured and laughing about it...but the test administrator who was along for the ride was apparently not amused. You guessed it...he failed.

------------------
"Gee, thanks..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duff
Activist
Member # 2176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's subway all the way for me! My mom wants to teach me how to drive and i kinda want to learn so i can leave the city more often, but other wise i hate cars.
Posts: 162 | From: NYC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i stick my tongue out at all you fuel-squandering motorists!!!

okay, i'm bitter. i have no car. i live in a town where public transit is cheap and effective. i take the bus everywhere. i ride BART a lot. And sometimes, you'll see me careening down the sidewalk on my shiny Razor scooter with the green wheels.

i get by okay without a car, i guess. can't say it's a great lifestyle, but i endorse it because it's good for your town and it's better for the earth. as the saying goes, "one less car"

------------------
The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the universe is constantly moving to a state of greater entropy s, therefore, delta s is always greater than zero.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eeek! Driving practically gives me panic attacks! I have my G2, but I need to take one more test until I have a G licence.

Montreal has a pretty good public transport system, so that's what I'm using now. I prefer it, because it's better for the environment. But I feel that since I've already learned how to drive, I ought to at least get my licence...

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hehehe, i just got my learners! haha, so yeah, i'm just starting to drive. Problem is, i don't really have anywhere to drive. I live really close to my school, i don't have a job, and all my friends are about a block away.

But, i guess when i get the chance, i'll drive to soccer and stuff. But, if i couldn't drive, or we didn't have a car, i think i'd be ok, yeah, i';d survive.

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i require a car. i would die without mine. ok, well that's an exaggeration...but i do know that i have had a car for a bit more than a year, and during that time i have grown so used to it that even the remote possibility of having to have daddy drive me to school for a day is enough to drive me into hysterics. yes, another exaggeration, but it is important to me. there's no other way to get around in the suburbs really, and since im so dang busy i need to be able to get around. i have no idea what i'll do next year when im stranded in maine with no car. :-(

em

------------------
if you want to kiss the sky, you better learn how to kneel (on your knees, boy) -U2

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm eighteen, and I still don't have my license. I'm taking the test for it... erm, soon. I don't have an exact date yet. I'm only getting it because I'm moving in a few months, and need some form of transportation (I don't want to walk, I can't ride a bike, and after being a slave to my mother's schedule all these years, I don't want to be a slave to the public transport schedule yet).

I hatehateHATE driving. It's horrid. I've been very adamant about not going on the freeway.

Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't drive yet but I reeeeally cannot wait! There's really not much you can do without a car in the 'burbs. And it mean soo much more freedom. In fact, I'm going for my permit next week. *Yays!* :-D

[This message has been edited by lilnerd (edited 05-16-2001).]

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
star1120
Activist
Member # 1624

Icon 1 posted      Profile for star1120     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
alrighty, i do drive, for a little over a year now and it is [i]very[i/] helpful to me! i have too many things that i am involved in to have my mom or my friends cart me around. so i cart my friends around! haha i don't mind cuz i like driving. except in the horrible ohio winter... those suck...

traffic isn't too bad here! come visit! haha

------------------
" Life move pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." - Ferris Bueller

Posts: 183 | From: ohio, usa | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a driving lesson in 8 hours.

It's terribly difficult to get a license in Singapore. A minimum of 25 lessons, 2 theory tests and a final evaluation test before you can even sit for your driving test. Driving lessons are costing me more than 1000 bucks, US.

Cars are ridiculously expensive here. The cheapest car here would set you back at least US15-20K.

I want a car even though we have a fab transport system. Reason being I am a spoilt brat and I am sick and tired of squeezing with a million people on the bus and feeling all hot and stuffy in the bus. Did I mention how I hate to walk?

So cross your fingers for me and pray I can get my license on my first try.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I took the test about 5 years ago and failed. I took it because all my friends were doing it and it seemed like the thing to do.

I haven't gone back. I'm happy riding the bus and the métro, especially after coming from Ottawa, where public transit isn't quite so plentiful.

My parents, who still live in Ottawa, got an SUV not that long ago, and I scolded them for it. Evil things.

------------------
When you get off work tonight, meet me at the construction site, and we'll write some notes to tape to the heavy machines, like "We hope they treat you well. Hope you don't work too hard. We hope you get to be happy sometimes."
-the Weakerthans

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

I just got back in from a date with a girl I have known for the past 10 years...when I was getting ready to take her home she asked me if she could try driving my new truck. I told her she could...and promptly spent the next twenty minutes ducking down and hiding in my own car, holding on to the door handle with white knuckles and praying I would survive.

Okay, so it wasn't quite that bad...but I tell ya, I am amazed that some people passed driving school at all

I don't know what I would do without a car. Our lovely Metropolitan Transportation Authority has spent nearly a billion dollars and 20 years digging a subway tunnel (great for Earthquake Country), which currently goes 8 whole miles from end to end. We have trains that go nowhere, and buses that are stuck in the same traffic that the rest of us sit in.

Other than that, it's lovely out here.

------------------
"Gee, thanks..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't drive, though I've owned 7 or 8 cars Since I have epilepsy, I am forbidden from getting my license..

I live in a city (Wellington) where it isn't a huge issue being unable to drive.. since it's a 10 minute walk to and from work, and it takes under 1/2 hour to get anywhere by walking from home I recently went on a business trip to the largest city in NZ (Auckland), and I was pretty amazed at how it's almost impossible to survive without a car.

To be honest, the only thing I miss about driving is being able to jump in the car and drive to the beach/national parks etc. Other than that, I enjoy being carless. Get more exercise, AND save money!

entropie

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunflower
Activist
Member # 117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunflower     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also live in a city with great public transportation, but I find that I need a car to do the grocery shopping and the laundry. I just borrow my bosses car and that helps me get things done, but other than that it's BART, the bus, and walking for me!!!! :-)

------------------
Make each day a day of beauty, a day of joy, and a day of wonder. Celebrate your life and the lives of those around, and realize the precious beauty of the world.

Posts: 130 | From: Berkeley, CA, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sunflower! you're back!!!

------------------
The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the universe is constantly moving to a state of greater entropy s, therefore, delta s is always greater than zero.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.