Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » First tampon

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First tampon
curly
Neophyte
Member # 3299

Icon 1 posted      Profile for curly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, when did you guys first use tampons? how did it go? did anyone help you or teach you? I got my first period a little less then a year ago, and i still havent used tampons. I tried once, but i cant get it in!! I read the instrucitons and everything, but i just cant get the whole tampon in there!! Tips please.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first time for me was about 2 months ago. I did it myself, and i hated it. It wasn't comfortable and i just didn't like it at all. Some people just can't seem to wear them, especially shorter people. If you're not comfortable with it, don't do it.

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
try a bit of lube on the tip of it. it sounds funny, but a lot of the time when i have trouble getting a tampon in, it's because it's too dry. grab some KY or astroglide or something and try again, maybe

em

------------------
if you want to kiss the sky, you better learn how to kneel (on your knees, boy) -U2

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sweetie, some people never use tampons. They don't have to, either. There are many types of feminine products out there that women can use ...

There are also numerous threads on this topic already, so please use the search function at the top of the page

Here are a few articles/threads to get ya started;
http://www.scarleteen.com/body/ontherag_5.html

[This message has been edited by BruinDan (edited 05-13-2001).]

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heh ... I don't believe i just did that ... I think i linked you to your own thread ... Oy ... Feel free to edit that post, anyone. Please, so i don't feel like such a twit.
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starry Night
Activist
Member # 3476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starry Night     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm short (5'1ish) and I've never had a problem using tampons. Try using them on the heaviest day of your cycle starting with Tampax Lights (purple writing), then move to Slender Regulars..or comparable sizes in a different brand. It also helps to use lube, and when you don't have your period, to sit in the bath and kinda loosen yourself up with your fingers. Anyway, those are tips that helped me out alot, and now I use tampons all the time.
Posts: 164 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I first attempted to use tampons during my second period, when I was eleven, but I found it really painful. I tried several times after that, but found it uncomfortable until I was in 9th grade, when I suddenly discovered the "knack" of it. I think that it was in a large part to me learning about my own body, not just through books (I'd read up on it all years before), but through how it felt to me personally- every woman is different. It also helped to use tampax tampons, which come with an applicator for the first few times. After that though, I'd recommend switching to another brand, since aside from the applicator, tampax rates fairly low on my scale of preference for tampons.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cate
Activist
Member # 3634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got my period about 6 months and started using tampons about 3 months ago. I think like the first 3 tampons i used, hurt like hell (excuse my language) putting it in and removing it. After that it didn't hurt, and i am glad to have them to wear. I think lube really helps!

------------------
Cate!

Posts: 87 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used pads for a year and a half. I never thought I would convert. Somehow I got the impression that unless you were having sex, putting in a tampon would mean suffering. Then, one day, I got curious enough and tried it. I was really nervous and it did hurt when I tried to put it in so I stopped. I told my friend what happened and she suggested to just breathe and not even think about what you're doing. So... I did.. and it went in! I didn't even feel a thing. It was SO much more comfy too. You didn't feel all wet and yuck. I was still uncomfy wearing em out because I thought I'd get nervous and not be able to change it in a public place, but after wearing them for a while at home it was routine and I liked them much better. Now I only use pads overnight.

------------------
"nothing's quite the same now - I just say your name now - but it's not so bad - you're only the best I ever had"

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amante
Neophyte
Member # 3474

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amante     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I probably started about a year ago, i'm fourteen

There should be instructions in the box, but I aggree, for your first try they aren' that helpful.
I would use aplicator tampons as you don't have to stick your fingers right up.
It's easier to do after you've had a shower as your skin is less tense.

Put one leg up on a stool/chair/toilet seat.
Take the tampon out of the paper.
Pull back the skin and using the tampon find the hole you are going to insert it into.
Relax, (this bit is really important as otherwise you probably won't be able to get it in)
Face the tampon towards your tailbone and gently begin to insert it.
When there is about two centimeters visible of the aplicator push the tampon inside it in, you should feel it and ou may feel dizzy or fain the first time.
Pull out the cardboard and throw it away.
Wash your hands.

Leave it in for a maximum of 8 hours, I tend to change mine every four just incase.

I hope this helps.
Also don't practice inserting them whilst you aren't on your period and make sure you are using ones with the right absorbancy.

Um, I think that's all.
Good luck, Love Nikki

Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.