Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Interesting Jobs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Interesting Jobs
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i used to work for a record company. how about you?

------------------
The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the universe is constantly moving to a state of greater entropy s, therefore, delta s is always greater than zero.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to pick mushrooms for a living I've also done some acting..

None of my other jobs really qualify as being interesting, though the one I'm in now keeps me busy! I work in the sales dept of an IT company, so I get to tinkle with visual media stuff, which is fun and interesting, I guess! If it weren't for the darned customers, it'd be the perfect job!

entropie

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
edited

[This message has been edited by BruinDan (edited 09-25-2002).]

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starry Night
Activist
Member # 3476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starry Night     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Sexperts have the most interesting jobs...
Posts: 164 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Drill instructor (no, not the military kind) at an immersion based language camp for adults at Dartmouth College up in New Hampshire for three weeks one summer.

My mom was a teacher there, too, and we had to share a dorm room. Aieeee!

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lostcat
Activist
Member # 3295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lostcat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Currently, I work at Starbucks, and I actually do enjoy it. It's situated on a college campus, so it's not primarily suburban moms in minivans. I've met a lot of really cool people, and it sure beats working at the mall in my opinion.

However, my cool job is that on occasional Friday nights, I play guitar at the Starbucks I work at My manager found out about my um... hidden talents, and hired me to play now & then. I adore doing that.. I get to sit and play guitar for people and get paid.

When I was a senior in high school, I taught art classes to 3-5 year olds at the Community Center. I loved that, and have quite a few works of preschool art dedicated to me hanging on the walls in my room at home

------------------
"i need to wash myself again to hide all the dirt and pain, 'cos i'd be scared that there's nothing underneath"- radiohead

Posts: 73 | From: chicago, il, usa | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oy ... I babysat for one summer (still do once in a while, when my aunt needs a break from her 3 yr old ankle-biter), tutored math and science at school, tutored music (flute, sax, trumpet) and worked alongside my mom as a bingo runner. I think my least fave job would've been tutoring music ... there is just NO teaching anyone who is tone deaf
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clav
Activist
Member # 678

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clav     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
** Genuine student surviving on loans and parents. The way to live **
I don't know if this counts as a job at all (I do it for free), but I'm a sub-editor on my uni paper. It's vaguely geekish (proofread, use Pagemaker 6.5 to layup then turn intoPDFs to email the printers). But it's great fun, especially at 8 am in the morning when you've been working on covering the uni elections since 10.30pm to try to meet a 6.30am deadline (whoops...). I reccomend anyone at uni to join the media group (radio, paper, whatever).
And we get free burgers/pizzas on the nights we work. Which saves on food shopping!

Posts: 54 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrazyGirl
Activist
Member # 2648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrazyGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I work at a music store that's going through a lot of controversy right now, so that makes it interesting.

------------------
"Always shoot for the moon because even if you miss you'll land among the stars." -Unknown

Posts: 136 | From: City of Angels | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh boy, let's see. This isn't going to be short. Thinking from my very first job onward I have....

-- helped manage a fledging theater group (now thriving, Wisdom Bridge in Chicago)

-- trained new coffeehouse woners how to work their espresso machines (this was the pre-starbucks era)

-- taught toddlers ice-skating (more like caught them all as they fell for an hour)

-- wore a lobster suit downtown for a restaurant promotion

-- designed live centerpieces for a hotel chain

-- did sketches for a maternity clothing designer

-- modeled for artists

-- ran an alternative school

-- taught everyone from preschoolers to developmentally disabled and CP adults in various settings

-- sold sprouts and wheatgrass at farmers markets in the city

-- was resident vegetarian chef for my college

-- rehabbed a building

-- surveyed housewives

-- canvassed against nuclear weapons (again, another era)

-- sang and played for peanuts at folk festivals....

...oh.

...and worked as a sexuality educator and activist, erotica and sexuality author and publisher, and general sexpert-at-large.

And those are really just the highlights. I'm a Jill of All Trades.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MizS, any pix of you in the lobster suit?

------------------
The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the universe is constantly moving to a state of greater entropy s, therefore, delta s is always greater than zero.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, no.

However, I can ask my mother if she took any the week I worked in costume as Scrubby, The Handwashing Bear at her hospital in high school.

I'll bet she does.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quality Markets. Its supermarket. Its a good job. People can be annoying. and that it!

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cate
Activist
Member # 3634

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When i am 17 i am planning to train to be an emt(emergency medical technician), since i want to a doctor.
Only have to 2 more years to go YEAH!!!!

------------------
Cate!

Posts: 87 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Working at the stacks in the libraries restricted section. Hardly anyone comes to get books from it and I get really freaked out volunteering there. All that quiet with those occasionally creepy noises and the shadows--yikes.
Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last summer I made bagels most nights/mornings. From midnight to 8 am, I'd bake about 200 dozen, and mix about 450 pounds of the stuff.

It sucked.

Now I'm working at a data library for the phone company. The pay isn't bad, but the job is several neighbourhoods over, and the bus doesn't get me there very quickly. Ironic, I guess, that I just posted about the good public transit in this city.

I'm hoping to get out of it, though, and pick up an archiving gig with the student newspaper that I'm an editor with.

------------------
When you get off work tonight, meet me at the construction site, and we'll write some notes to tape to the heavy machines, like "We hope they treat you well. Hope you don't work too hard. We hope you get to be happy sometimes."
-the Weakerthans

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
theprincesskate
Neophyte
Member # 2784

Icon 1 posted      Profile for theprincesskate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
- babysat
- worked in a grocery store in: cashiering, packing, customer service, accounting and banking, supervisor
- worked as a camp counselor at an inclusion camp (developmentally disabled and so-called "normal" children mixed together)
- worked as a camp counselor at a camp for developmentally disabled adults and children

This summer, I'll be working at both of the above camps, as well as being a teacher's aid in a special ed class room, which I am greatly looking forward to.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sighh... I'm looking for summer work right now, and it's so discouraging. Whenever I think about work, I'll I can think of is stress. I desperately want to grow up to get a job I love (I've long wanted to be a Jill of All Trades!). But I can't help but think I'll be unhappy for the rest of my life.

Okay, maybe it wont be THAT bad.

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.