Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Getting a dention for saying Jeaus Christ??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Getting a dention for saying Jeaus Christ??
BlinkN*boys182
Activist
Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlinkN*boys182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today in school i was sitting in Science class and my friend spilt her water on my new skirt i stood up in surprise and said -in my normal voice- "Jeasus Christ, Tara, nice job!" we started laughing, i wasnt too mad that she did that but then the teacher yelled at me to go to the Deans office for inaporeate language! now i go to a semi private school, its not a religous one, just some towns have to apply to get in. so i when to the deans office and told him exactly what happend with no exaggeration. I found absolutly nothing wroung with saying that in school-freedom of speech right??- WRONG! he said since the magority of the school is Chirstain i would have to repsect there belifs, ok i have no problem with this but when i complian b/c a couple of guys have been harassing my friend -who btw is Wican- calling her a witch, he does nothing but give them a slap on the hand. so long story made sorta short i got stuck with an hour dention! this whole situation gets me so POed. should i have a reason to be upset? or was i in the worng the whole time??
thanx
Abby

------------------
When a player makes a play, hes considerd a pro; when a girl take a turn shes considerd a hoe

watch out i spell like a 2nd grader!!

Posts: 60 | From: over the rainbow | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I think your teacher (and dean) overreacted, but it also depends on laws and restrictions of your school. If you go to a religious school, I can understand what they're saying. But if it's just a regular school, I think an hour detention is ridiculous. That teacher could've just asked that you not use that phrase in his/her class.

------------------
You should make amends with you if only for better health. But if you really want to live, why not try and Make Yourself?

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
towel42
Activist
Member # 3118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for towel42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that does indeed suck. But sadly, this is the world we live in. *le sigh* I know I sound bitter, but I've fought these kind of battles too many times. I think we've talked about double standards a number of times on these boards, and you came across one. I really do empathize, trust me, and I wish I could say something to make you feel vindicated, but there really is nothing you can do.

Life is a b*tch sometimes.

------------------
...an angel who didn't so much fall as saunter vaguely downwards...

"Ni! Ni! Niii!" -Monty Python & the Holy Grail

"Ennui is insufficient reason to commit suicide." -Neil Gaiman

Posts: 256 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you have a perfectly good reason to be upset. You're not alone in getting treated unfairly by the adminstration of a school, though. I've had to deal with it a number of times. Something about the profession seems to attract the kind of people who really shouldn't be in a leadership position, and who make decisions that are ridiculous and unfair.
Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Find out exactly what your school's rules are--you may be able to do something about this like taking it to the superintendent or board of trustees or whoever is more important than the principal.
Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is any consolation, I once received an hour of detention for saying the same thing in the middle of a Biology class.

While the rest of the class was watching a movie, my flunky friends and I were screwing around in the rear of the classroom behind some lab tables. One of my friends was amusing himself by fiddling with a Bunsen Burner, while I was catching up on sleep. Well, as I snoozed, this dummy pointed the Burner at me and turned the gas on to the burner...and then ignited it. I awoke to feel an explosion of heat and light on my face, and found that my friend Skip had was attempting to torch me. In my panic, all I could think of to say in return was "Jesus Christ, you psycho!" My teacher was not amused, and sent us both to the office...Skip got 4 hours for playing with fire, and I got one hour for vulgarity. (Which was promptly raised to 2 hours when I told the Assistant Principal where he could stick that punishment)

--Danny (Detention King 1994, 1995, 1997)

------------------
"Unit 11A to Station, do we know what's behind Door Number One?"

BruinDan's Blog!

ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And you're now a guardian of law and order? Eeek!

------------------
Hersband

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and that miscreant still got into UCLA.

heehee.

em

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grizabella
Activist
Member # 2014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grizabella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My cousin told me that her latin teacher assigns detentions for saying "Oh my God" and "Stupid." And of course my first thought when she told me that was, "Oh my God, that's so stupid." lol

------------------
"Sometimes people care too much. I think it's called Love."
---Pooh Bear

Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ella
Activist
Member # 1168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You've probably already served your detention but just as a matter of record, you could write a letter of protest to the school board or the principal concerning the double standard imposed in the school. Also getting your parents to write a letter might also help. WHile it won't change your situation it might make it fairer in the future.
Posts: 303 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am amazed by this.

I go to a public school, in a relatively small town, and Jesus Christ is a perfectly normal and acceptable thing to say. It's not even considered vulgarity. Nothing really is :-p. Teachers swear, students swear, everyone does. Commonplace.

I like the last idea-write a letter. And, why not document the next time your friend is harrased for her beliefs, and instead of going through your principal, go to the superintendent. Give them their just desserts.

------------------
Best body type for a man? Chunky style. With extra gravy

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
never had a detention in my entire life. over time, i developed a nasty reputation for being a model student and a brainiac.

so by the time i got to high school, i could do no wrong. and i got away with everything. i'm such a brat. and i had a potty-mouth and wasn't afraid to use it. not that any of my teachers cared. i did my job, and i did it well. who cared if I blurted out [insert random expletives here]?

but i have come to find that vulgarity is the lexicon of the ignorant, to so i use it in more controlled doses now.

------------------
The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the universe is constantly moving to a state of greater entropy s, therefore, delta s is always greater than zero.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
towel42
Activist
Member # 3118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for towel42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lynne,

You're totally right about school administrators.

A favored author of mine, Douglas Adams, has this awesome quote. I can't remember it exactly, but it went along the lines of "The truth is, anyone who would want to be a ruler of anything really isn't suited for the job. All presidents and overlords are completely insane. The only ones who could possibly do a good job don't want the job at all."

I think this can be applied to many, many real life situations.

------------------
...an angel who didn't so much fall as saunter vaguely downwards...

"Ni! Ni! Niii!" -Monty Python & the Holy Grail

"Ennui is insufficient reason to commit suicide." -Neil Gaiman

Posts: 256 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I see how Jesus christ could be a swear word to some people, but I think your dean was pretty harsh. Even if it is the school rules, it seems like they should have given you a warning or something. You didn't know you could get in trouble for saying that anyway, by the way it sounds. I know people who have been given less for cheating on homework or harassing other students, but sometimes that's just how things work. You could bring it to the attention of the school board or the dean and try to tell them that the punishment seems a little severe for something like that. Maybe they could change their policy about it.

------------------
*^Lucky^*
Come check out what's goin on in Lucky's mind!

"At one point we decided to fight fire with fire. Well...basically...your house burned even faster."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.