Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » First Impressions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: First Impressions
Siren
Activist
Member # 3243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today me and some of my friends were talking about when we all first met. And it became apparent that I don't make a very good first impression on people. A lot of my friends perceived me as stuck up when they first met me, or just plain old mean. They said once they got to know me they were surprised to see I was actually nice and even fun. I just found that really interesting....I thought I was just being normal me...

So, I was wondering, do you think you make a good first impression on people? Do you think people see you as who you really are when they first meet you? Are you happy with how people perceive you when they first meet you?

------------------
Lil Siren
-Scarleteen Advocate
"What kind of paradise am I looking for? I've got everything I want, and still I want more...."- Ani

Posts: 190 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oi. i come across as being really eccentric on the first few tries. nowadays, when i meet new people, i conciously tell myself, "don't weird them out!" i am such a geek.

------------------
The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the universe is constantly moving to a state of greater entropy s, therefore, delta s is always greater than zero.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hahaha My co-workers and I were just talking about this last night

According to all of my friends (its unanimous here), the first impression they got of me was that I was loud and obnoxious. Once they had known me for a while they realized that I was....loud and obnoxious.

While most of the time my first impressions of people are pretty close, I have been wrong before. During the first day of junior high in, I was at a school in a new area where I didn't know a single soul. I was sitting next to a skinny guy in Math class and every time the teacher asked a question, he would raise his hand and have the right answer. I thought to myself "What a stuck-up little braniac!" Two hours later he came up to me at lunch, and we have been best friends ever since...over eleven years now.

[This message has been edited by BruinDan (edited 09-26-2002).]

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlinkN*boys182
Activist
Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlinkN*boys182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am VERY outgoing and loud, when i first meet people i tend to scare them away. lol But most of the time the come around to see that i am fun to be around-if i do say so myself, and i do- also alot of my friends thought of me as "stuck up" all b/c i would know what my good qulities were and use them to there advanage. my argumentiveness(sp?) always got us into the rated "r" movies. and i can always sweet talk a teacher out of a detention- just last night i had to make Pnut butter cookies for my science teacher to get out of one lol- and every time after my friends would have to hear me brag about what i did, later they found out i wasnt brag thinking i was the best, i was braging that i could help them get into see the movie they wanted , or help them with a good excuse inorder to skip a day in dentention. So sometimes i think that first impressions are good, but u know what they say: You can make a 2nd first impression... or something like that. lol
Abby

------------------
When a player makes a play, hes considerd a pro; when a girl take a turn shes considerd a hoe

watch out i spell like a 2nd grader!!

Posts: 60 | From: over the rainbow | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing that a lot of people have thought when meeting me is that I'm a lot older than I am, although I soon set them straight on that.

Other than that, I'm not sure. I think it really depends on what mood I'm in.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Beppie, everyone I meet thinks I am at least 23. I just found out that while my nearing 30 lecturer gets asked if she is a student when she is in a taxi on her way home, I get asked if I am a lecturer. Fabulous.

Most people think I look very stuck up and holier than thou. Like "Don't talk to me, you are only fit to kiss my feet". I have tried to be more friendly, smile more etc but it didn't work so after a while, i just gave up.

The way I see it, if someone is going to judge me based on how I look and not even try to get to know me better before making a conslusion, that person isn't really worth my time anyway.

[This message has been edited by Lin (edited 05-02-2001).]

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really care about first impressions because I'm usually a real jerk the first time I meet someone. Either that, or I'm way too nice as usual. So I don't really look for good first impressions because it's not always accurate to their personality. Everyone deserves more than one shot, so...

------------------
Teenagers are people too!

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.