Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » wiccan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: wiccan
Sallynha
Activist
Member # 312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sallynha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey all (hope this isn't too off-topic eheh)

I recently saw the sequel from Blair Witch, and there was this girl that was a wiccan. Where I live I hadn't heard anything about it, although I'd seen the word around somewhere, so I went to the internet and read some stuff about it - I think it's pretty interesting and I like to learn about this kind of "weird" subjects.

I'd like to know if any of you are wiccans or have any friends who are, or what you think about it...

take care

------------------
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
~~~~Sallynha~~~~
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Posts: 390 | From: * my own little shell * | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm ... I know there are a few wiccans here, but I myself am not one.

This is a good site that explains a lot of religions and compares them and stuff ...
www.religioustolerance.org

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wiccan. I don't think of it as "weird," it's just my religion. Another really good webiste is www.witchvox.com

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Siren
Activist
Member # 3243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Wiccan too and no it's not "weird", as poetgirl said, it's just a religion.

And a lot of TV shows which have wiccan characters or themes are usually way off on what the religion actually is. So I definitely suggest learning a little bit more before labeling it to be "weird". And I think it's good to learn about other religions anyway, so you know what they're about.

www.open-sesame.com

------------------
Lil Siren

Read My Thoughts...

Posts: 190 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
**hippi_chik**
Neophyte
Member # 3404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for **hippi_chik**     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my best friend in the whole world is wiccan she likes metallica its not really that dramatic witchy "i cast spells on people so they fall in love with me" thing that you read about though just to clear that up...

**hippi_chik**

------------------
Words of wisdom from our all-knowing, all-seeing, wonderful,(coff coff) parents:
"If you dont stop making faces you'll get stuck that way...and even if you don't you'll have permanent worry lines by the time your'e thirty!"

Posts: 31 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, this may sound strange or whatnot, but I'm sorta wiccan. That is, I am studying the religion and the aspects of it, but I haven't actually converted yet. I practice a form of modern day paganism. I read somewhere that you can you can possibly practice christianity AND participate in the pagan religions too. Which is basically what I do. I find that it is much more consistent to my beliefs than many religions are. From what I've read, it's possible to believe in the one God of the Christian religion and god's other incarnations, the god and the goddess. I'm still learning though, so if I say anything that is incorrect, it's not meant as being offensive.

I find that television and movies portrays wiccans and witches as "evil" which is not true at all. People around my school need to be educated on the subjuct, too. It seems that they see them as satan worshippers who have magic powers and cast evil spells against people. ?? I think they need to explore it a little more thoroughly. Witches and wiccans don't actually cast evil spells on people (at least, they aren't supposed to?), they can't fly, and they don't have special "powers." Oh yeah, and prior to what my friends think, not all of them wear all black clothes (I don't anyway).

Go to http://www.normv.com/fact.html to get more info. That's where I found my information on being a christian witch.

------------------
*^Lucky^*
Come check out what's goin on in Lucky's mind!

"At one point we decided to fight fire with fire. Well...basically...your house burned even faster."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to be into the wiccan/pagan thing. The problem with wicca for me was the fact I didn't actually believe in a god or goddess... nature worship was more my thing. Now I call myself an atheist, but most wiccans and pagans I've known have been pretty cool
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could someone perhaps move this topic to All About You? My partner's Wiccan, as are some friends, but it just ain't for me. And it's not really all that weird, except in movies, on TV, and the like. Really, they need to do something to make it look more exciting, and it just comes off looking creepy half the time.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True, it would probably fit better in the all about you section. I'm new to moving around posts, but apparently only forum leaders can move topics? Oh well, I tried. Maybe one of the body and soul moderators can do it (I've learned my lesson).

------------------
*^Lucky^*
Come check out what's goin on in Lucky's mind!

"At one point we decided to fight fire with fire. Well...basically...your house burned even faster."

[This message has been edited by Lucky1402 (edited 04-25-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Lucky1402 (edited 04-25-2001).]

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
voila!

------------------
The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the universe is constantly moving to a state of greater entropy s, therefore, delta s is always greater than zero.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
towel42
Activist
Member # 3118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for towel42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mleh, mleh.

Yes, the media definitely has made some serious misconceptions about the whole Wicca thing. Really, though, Wicca is only one denomination of neo-paganism and nature-based religions. Its a bit complicated; Wicca was founded by a man named Gerald Gardner. I'm a little rusty on the details, but I believe it was in the 40s or early 50s. 1940s and 1950s, that is. It is also sometimes called Gardnerian Witchcraft. Of course, it was founded on ancient pre-Christian principals, and draws a lot from other places.

Its remarkably benevolent. No Satan-worship involved, Satan doesn't even come into play at all because its meant to be an updated version of the "Old Ways" of the Druids and Celts before Christianity was even concieved of. Some basic rules are "So long as it harms none, do what thou wilt" and "Whatever you do comes back to you threefold". Sounds corny, right? Well, I think those are some good general rules to follow.

As far as the Goddess and God go, they are the female and male manifestation of the "divine unknown". I don't really believe that there is a guy and a gal sitting up there somewhere, but if personifying something as incomprehensible as God makes it easier for you to take it all in, more power to you.

I don't want to ramble off on the subject, 'cause believe me I could. I used to call myself a Wiccan, though now I mostly use it as some basic guidelines for myself. I'm working on my own version of the religion, integrating more of my own personal beliefs and only using magick minimally.

If you want more in-depth info, you should get books like "The Truth About Witchcraft Today" by Scott Cunningham, or "To Ride a Silver Broomstick" by Silver RavenWolf.
www.witchvox.com is a great site to visit. You could also search www.google.com or www.askjeeves.com for "Wicca" and a whole bunch of stuff would come up.

Hope I helped!

------------------
...an angel who didn't so much fall as saunter vaguely downward...

[This message has been edited by towel42 (edited 04-28-2001).]

Posts: 256 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Truth About Witchcraft Today seemed like a pretty good book until I dropped it behind a heavy bookshelf, but I've never actually seen anyone else mention it, and the cover's pretty cheesy (a woman in a suit with briefcase; we call it the 'Business-Witch Book), Cunningham also comes with high recommendations from a lot of pagans I know.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlinkN*boys182
Activist
Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlinkN*boys182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am Witta, its a verison of wicca but differnt it has more to do with Irish Heritage, to me the christaity religon is "weird" im just not used to it
Abby

------------------
Daddy would u like some saugages?

Posts: 60 | From: over the rainbow | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.