Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Mother at 12 years old !

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mother at 12 years old !
DC_WillowFan
Activist
Member # 631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC_WillowFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, you read right ! It's the main title of today's Montreal newspaper "Journal de Montreal".

While I was at school, I was reading Miz Scarlet post in another topic and she was saying that actually the teen pregnancy issue was going down. Of course, that may be in US.

Here in the article, it says that more obstetricians (sp?) and gyn. are seeing 11 and 12 years old teens becoming mothers.

That girl that they say in the article is a girl who had intercourse only once and got pregnant. Being totally quiet and not telling her mom about her sexuality, it was too late when they knew about it. And still, she didn't even knew she was pregnant. She said that she complained about feeling pain on her breasts and that her pelvis started to enlarge. She went to see a pediatrician (sp.) and that they said it was normal, that she was growing. The day she went to the hospital, she knew she was pregnant after an exam and the same day gave birth. And, the father of the baby doesn't even know it. The parents said that if they talked about it to the newspaper it's because they wanna encourage young girls to be open with their parents about sexuality.

Doctors are asking for more accessible contraception, like they have in Europe. But what I ask myself is: would that help ? I don't think so because of so many reasons that we might know.

Still, I can't believe that such things arrive during these days, where supposedly we should live a better life. Anyway, not really a question but you can freely talk about it if you want but I think that we already discussed about it.

David

------------------
- I hope I shall be able to confide in you conpletely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.

Anne Frank to her journal
(1929-1945)

Posts: 201 | From: Montreal, Qc, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another shining example of why it's important that parents and children are open and honest about sex.

and an interesting tidbit of information: the world's youngest mother was 5 years, 7 months old when she gave birth in the 1930s.

------------------
I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long.

Rock.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you really get pregger when you are five? No I dont believe it.

Some parents are embarressed to talk about sex. My mom told me she had a friend and that her parents didnt talk to her at all about sex or her period. When she finally did get her period, she was wondering what was wrong with her and she got scared. My moms parents were never really open about sex or talk about sex with her either.

Its better to hear it from somebody who knows rather then people at school, because there is so much slang.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
People should be open with their parents, and should know all about what can occur from sex. I hate when i hear stuff like that. It's so young!

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
glitter: it's called precocious puberty, and it does happen. The girl I was talking about started puberty at age 3.

------------------
I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long.

Rock.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, IMO, good all round sex education, accessible birth control, comprehensive AOC laws and an openness in society towards teen sexuality do help prevent teen pregnancies. Shining example are the Netherlands, all Scandinavian countries, France, and Germany, too. That's proof enough for me.

------------------
"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the case of Lina Medina, the girl who gave birth at the age of 5 is a particularly disturbing one. But it is true.

She had a tumor in her hypothalamus that caused some serious hormonal dysfunction. She experienced precocious puberty, and yes, she started menstruating at the age of 3.

So how can a 5-year-old like Lina get pregnant? She was raped by her uncle. Sad but true. Worse yet, the tumor killed her a few years later -- Lina wasn't alive when her son found out that she was his mother.

I saw a photo of Lina in my human reproduction class, and it was something else. She had the stature of any child who should be in kindergarten, but she had full breasts and her belly was indeed quite swollen -- i was suprised that the sheer volume of her uterus hadn't crushed the rest of her organs.

but that is the sad story of Lina Medina in a nutshell.

------------------
The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the universe is constantly moving to a state of greater entropy s, therefore, delta s is always greater than zero.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually David, more accessible contraception along with more thorough sex education can go a long way to help prevent unwanted pregnancies.

Alot of times, and we see it alot here at Scarleteen, alot of teenagers get pregnant or get pregnancy scares because they are ill informed about contraception.

Personally, since coming on Scarleteen and being exposed to the different kinds of contraception and the many ways I can protect myself from STDs has made a huge difference in my sex life.

Previously, I never used contraception because I had no idea how to get it and I didn't actally know how to use it. So yes, making contraception more readily available will go a long way.

And recently, there have been reports on 9 year olds girls giving birth in Thailand and Indonesia as well. As like Lina, they were all victims of rape. Incredibly sad and incredibly heinous.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All sad and true.

Another consideration though, getting back to the 11 and 12 year old mothers, is that it hasn't always been normal for human females to reach reproductive status around 11 years of age. The average age of physical maturity has dropped about 5 years over the past hundred years or two. One probable cause is electric lighting--light exposure stimulates the pituitary glad and greater light exposure over many years will trigger the onset of pubescence earlier. Or so I've read, and it's very plausible.

Anyway, it is important to remember that the environments we spend our daily lives in have tremendous influences on our physical bodies as well as on our behavior. Also instructive to consider how we might change our environments. Maybe someone else knows more about this topic?

Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.