Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: question
beautiful_teardrop
Neophyte
Member # 2517

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beautiful_teardrop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i want to shed some winter pounds (like 10) in time f0r bikini season.

i joined a gym, today i ran 2 miles on the tread mill (took me 20 minutes-bad shape )
and did a bit of weight training. yesterday i ran 1 mile on treadmill, did weight training, swam a couple laps and took a 2 mile walk w/ my mom.

i et pretty healthy and have been doing this for a while, but i want to speed up the whole weight loss thing. any suggestions?

Posts: 23 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bad shape? It takes me 14 minutes to run one mile!

I don't think you really can speed it up. If you just started exercising, then no, you're not going to notice results immeadiately. But if you keep up the routine of exercising a few times every week and eating healthy, then you will notice results soon. Sorry to say, but it's not magic .

But, Kudos on being so strong willed with this. It's hard to do. And good luck, as long as you don't go overboard.

------------------
Best body type for a man? Chunky style. With extra gravy

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beautiful_teardrop
Neophyte
Member # 2517

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beautiful_teardrop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, i have improved, in september it took me 14/15 minutes per mile, but i would like to be healthier, physically, yes, but also in terms of cardiovascular health.

i guess i have pretty strong will power, but it doesn't help that my mom just went shopping at the stop and shop and loaded up on all my favorite foods

but thank you for your advice, it was good,
though i wish it was magic

Posts: 23 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't actually think there is a healthy way to speed up your weight losing process.

Eating healthy and exercising regularly is your best bet although you won't see dramatic weight loss in days.

Just keep doing what you are doing and you will see the rewards soon enough. Or another thing you could do would be to accept and love your body the way it is. That's the best tip I have. That is my exercise plan. Real fun and easy to stick to.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~KandyKiss69~
Activist
Member # 3052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~KandyKiss69~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're doing a great job teardrop!!! Keep it up!!! Im glad you're losing weight the right way.

------------------
Shine, make em wonder whatcha got!-Newsboys
(((Kristine)))

Posts: 66 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Siren
Activist
Member # 3243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just keep doing what you're doing.

I'm someone who doesn't believe in "diets" because you can't live your life on a "diet". I've found the fastest way I've lost weight is eating smaller portions of balanced meals. That means eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and probably a snack or two. And of course exercising everyday. And every so often I'll eat things like chocolate(couldn't live without this!) or cake. Also remember to ask your doctor about how much he/she thinks you should lose, and the best way to go about doing that.

------------------
Lil Siren

Read My Thoughts...

Posts: 190 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beautiful_teardrop
Neophyte
Member # 2517

thanx for everyones advice

today for breakfast I ate 1/2 cup yogurt, one pinapple slice and a slice of bread with brie...is that too much? i'm going to the gym in an hour, wish me luck

Aquamarine
Activist
Member # 3296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquamarine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lin's advice is great. (Love your body! Self-esteem is good!) And as for your breakfast, teardrop, I definitely don't think it's too much. Breakfast is supposed to be a pretty essential meal, after all. You need energy, especially if you're planning to exercise afterward.

Remember not to monitor your food intake too closely or strain yourself exercising. Weight loss should be gradual, and it can be gratifying too--if you're doing it the healthy way.

Posts: 87 | From: bay area & new england | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as a side note, dieting can actually be detrimental to weight loss, in the long run. this is because if you consume less food, your body's metabolism (net chemical reactions) slows down, and you process your food slower. annoyingly, it is difficult to reverse this process, so once your metabolism is slowed, even if you start eating more you still process your food slower. so stick with the exercise, maybe lay off the french fries, and it sounds like you're doing great!

em

------------------
if you want to kiss the sky, you better learn how to kneel (on your knees, boy) -U2

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
want to increase your metabolism? then figure out how to uncouple your electron transport chain rxns in your mitochondria -- you'll metabolize about 20 faster, and then run out of ATP and your body will freak out.

just a tidbit i learned in biochem this week.

anyway teardrop, there's no magic drug that can successfully speed up your metabolism -- that won't serious mess up your body, anyway. but keep up what you're doing and ditch the fats and sugars. lots of water.

emsily, i just saw u2 and i haven't stopped listening to them since. loved your sig quote!

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ooh! i'm seeing U2 in may! oh, i'm so excited. how was the show? i love them.

em

------------------
if you want to kiss the sky, you better learn how to kneel (on your knees, boy) -U2

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oy oy oy oy ! Jealous, Gummy! And jealous, em, too! I have to wait till mid June until I get to worship Bono again. *sigh*

------------------
"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

haha, i'm a moron. my tickets are actually for june 6. so i have to wait almost as long as you, alaska. hehehe.

em

------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.