Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » How long does it take you?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How long does it take you?
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been having sleeping problems. I've read around on the insomnia posts here, and I really haven't found much of anything that works. Tylenol PM seems to work really well for me. But, sometimes I forget to take it...

So, how long does it take you to get to sleep? It takes me about 3 hours to fall asleep. All these thoughts run through my head, and I just can't fall asleep. Then I wake up in the middle of the night and I can't get back to sleep easily then either.

What are some more techniques do you use to get to sleep? Help me out, please.

------------------
"You're older than you've ever been, and now you're even older... You're older than you've ever been, and now you're even older
And now you're older still..." -Older by TMBG

"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well And that's be you, be what you're like, be like yourself, and so I'm having a wonderful time..." Whistling in the Dark by TMBG

"Everyone looks naked when you know the world's address.."
The World's Address by TMBG

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Keoki. It takes me from 2 minutes to 2 hours to fall asleep. Sometimes I'm just so tired that when I hit the bed, I'm out; other times I have all these thoughts going through my head, and I can't get to sleep. And often if I get up in the middle of the night to go to the restroom or let one of my cats in, it's hard for me to get back to sleep. When you're up and moving around, your body puts out chemicals to keep you awake and moving, so it's harder to just fall back asleep once you've gotten up; that's why they say to not excercise to wear yourself out when you can't get to sleep and to not get up and dawdle around.

I just lay in my bed, wrap myself up in blankets (or if it's a cool night, I'll have a fan in my room and keep water by my bed), and just close my eyes. Sometimes I'll count sheep or focus on one thought to bore myself into sleeping . I don't really have any other tips, though. If you have a big probably with insomnia, maybe you could go to your doctor or tell your parents about it. Good luck, sweetie .

------------------
"Straight it boring," ~Loreal Le Grande Curl commercial

Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I've done a fair amount of what you should and shouldn't do before bed. I've learned that you should have a routine, so your body knows it's time for bed. You shouldn't do things like paper work in bed because that's something you do when you're active. Your room should be clean and fairly dark at night. Etc, etc... I've looked into it.

I've tried counting sheep, but I just start thinking about sheep! I've got quite the wondering mind. I'm going to try more of sticking to one boring, thought though and hope that it doesn't branch out.

Thanks, Mary. More suggestions/comments would be apprieciated from anyone.

------------------
"Meet me in outer space. We could spend the night..." -Stellar by Incubus

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...on average i spose it takes me about an hour to fall asleep, give or take 1/2, to an hour.(confusing, eh?)
I had a lot of trouble falling asleep a few years ago and it would take me about 3 or 4 hours because i would think so much about stuff i had to do, and what i wanted to do the next day, etc, etc, etc.

How i fall asleep now, might sound a little different. I make up stories in my head. I can use a story i've read, a tv show, make up something completely abstract or whatever. Sometimes i'll use a dream i had, or books i read. I've actually started writing a long story about one of these bedtime thingys. I guess they are actually kinda like fantasy's(not sexual ones though) and i can be whatever and whoever i want, and that usually gets me sleeping fairly fast.

But, try out whatever works for you.

Good luck and feel better.

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
I find soft music on the sleep setting of my clock radio or a CD often helps. Not rock, but something that you can let your mind gently drift with. One of the major causes of non-pathology insomnia is worrying about not getting to sleep.

If insomnia becomes chonic, it's time to see your physician. Chronic insomnia can cause problems or be the symptom of other problems.

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't know, because I'm too asleep to look at the clock. *laaaaaughs..*

Seriously though, it takes me anywhere from a half to two hours to fall asleep. Unless I'm sharing the bed with someone, that is -- I simply cannot sleep in that situation. Should make for an interesting marriage...

Anyway, when I'm having trouble sleeping, I usually do the one thing you're not supposed to do -- I read in bed. Usually something that doesn't require much thought, like a magazine.

------------------
I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long.

Rock.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Oh yeah! My English teacher told our class before break started that the way he gets to sleep is that he has this fantasy. He says that his that he wins a million dollars, so he has this Millionaire party. He picks out all the people he does and doesn't wantto be there. He says that making up a detailed story helps a lot. I had just kind of forgotten about it. Thanks! I'll try that.

------------------

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you ever tried meditation?

Maybe what you need to do is really clear your head before you lie down. I have a lil music box thingy that plays different sounds (such as thunderstorms and a heartbeat) that really helps. Or you can use a radio on a station w/ soft music ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Meditating... Hm... I've never meditated before. Well, our confirmation teachers made us try, but there were 30 other giggling teenagers in the room. I'm just not going to count that. I barely remember it anyway. How do you meditate? Or could you direct me to something that would give me tips?

------------------

Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah yes, mediatation. I meditate and practice yoga, and it works wonders for my mind . Go to a search engine like Yahoo or Google and type in "meditation". There are LOTS of sites dedicated to the teachings of meditation. Otherwise, you can go to your local bookstore and ask someone to lead you to the section of books on meditation. It may be in the health or spiritual section (if you have any of those at your bookstore). There are great books on the practice (and yoga if you want to get into that as well... It helps me relax). Good luck!

------------------
"Honey, whose car is that in our driveway?"

"It's yours, Frank."

"It IS, isn't it?"

Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
take caffeine out of diet completely. then read or study at night. gets me asleep in no time.

but (you've heard this outta me before) i gotta say the Tylenol PM is **not** the way to go. Tylenol PM has not been approved for use as a stand-alone sleep-aid, and should not be used as such.

If your insomnia is really bad (like 3 or fewer hours of sleep a night), then you need to see a doctor.

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

I'll have to look into that. I'm also going to try the fantasy thing. I think I'll do that first. The only problem is that I'm afraid if I try all these things without my pills, I won't be able to get to sleep. I'm scared to get to sleep.

------------------

keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Yeah, I know it's not healthy. I seem to be taking the easy and painless way out again.

I'm thinking about going to the doctor for insomnia, but I just don't know what to tell my parents. I'm going to try some of these techniques first, and then go to the doctor, I think. I'm just so unsure.

But for now... I'm going to give meditation and fantasies a spin.

------------------

Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have terrible insomnia last year. I would go to bed at 11 and not actually go to sleep until well past 3. Sometimes I would only get about 3 or 4 hours of sleep a night. This year it's far less frequent except on Sundays usually, before I have to go back to school and my mind is racing.

I took tylenol PM every day last year and it seemed to help alot more than any of the other things I tried. Hot baths, warm milk, counting sheep, meditation.... I would use meditation to try and clear my mind and picture myself asleep on a warm sunny beach somewhere, but it rarely worked. Counting ramdom numbers worked quite well- not actually counting "sheep", but just counting as high as I can go in my head.

Everything else I tried didn't work at all. If you're like me, move your clock away from your bed so you can't see it. Once you look at it and see how late it is, it starts to get obsessive and you look at it more often.

Other than that, when I went to the doctor about it he told me that I could choose to be put on a 7 day sleep aid. But the side-effects looked bad to me and he said that it can be addictive, so I chose not to.

------------------
*^Lucky^*
Come check out what's goin on in Lucky's mind!

"At one point we decided to fight fire with fire. Well...basically...your house burned even faster."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cuddleslut
Activist
Member # 3349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cuddleslut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a lot of friends who are insomniacs. I think it goes along with stress and depression--generally when you're really unhappy about something in life it's harder to relax enough to get to sleep. I don't know much about it, though, because it doesn't effect me.
It takes me about 20 minutes on average to fall asleep. Some nights it takes longer, some nights I fall asleep right away, depending on how tired I am when I go to sleep. Generally, in order to wear myself out, I read a book. Sometimes I'll turn on music very low and listen till I fall asleep, or take a shower before or something. I don't know. But I hope you figure out whatever it is that's bugging you soon and do something about it. Sorry I couldn't be much help. Good luck!!

------------------
It's sickening how comforting the privacy of the mind can be...

Posts: 120 | From: california...well, at least it sounds cool. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laura
Activist
Member # 3426

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laura     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Usually I find that I can fall asleep within a few minutes, but occasionally it takes an hour or two.

I find that when a thought is bugging me and keeping me from falling asleep, it helps surprisingly much just to say to myself, "Now is not the time to worry about this. It can wait until tomorrow."

Listening to music helps me a lot too. Something that has a story, like a Broadway musical, or even a book on tape, helps me a lot with taking my mind off anything that's bothering me.

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and have trouble getting back to sleep. When that happens, for some reason it helps if I eat two spoonfuls of ice cream. I have no idea why that works though...

Posts: 107 | From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Lucky, if you used to have terrible insomnia, how did you cure it? You said that you chose not to take the sleep aid that your doctor suggested. So what did you do instead?

I think a book on tape is a good idea. I used to listen to these classical music for kids tapes. There's on on Bach, Mozart, Vivaldi, and Beethoven. They're all stories with some of thier music added in. They used to work, but they just don't really anymore.

------------------

CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would not know what it feels like because this is how it is for me...

I lay my head on my pillow and next thing I know, my friends are there chillin with me and eatting food. Then my radio goes off and then I find myself in the shower getting ready for school.

When I have troubles going to sleep I some end up singing my self to sleep. Weird huh?

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a really wide range. It's usually at least 20 minutes though. Sometimes it can be up to 2 hours. I really hate those nights. If I had a nickel for every time I switched sides and moved around before I was comfy enough....

------------------
You should make amends with you if only for better health. But if you really want to live, why not try and Make Yourself?

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Keoki, let us know if anything works, k?
And feel better!

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lucky1402:

a lot of the side effects from the prescription sleep aids are the same side effects for Tylenol PM. (refer to my previous post) But I hope you're sleeping better now and don't need the pills anymore.

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey keoki, I've been there. It almost always takes me a long time to go to sleep. I have to be really, really tired for it to work.

Last semester I had big problems with this-- In bed I would worry so much that I panicked and had trouble breathing, and felt like I was going to have a heart attack. Then I would start worrying about dying, or the fact that I would be really tired the next morning. The worries became self-referential.

Anyway, I went to the doctor, who said I had no health problems and I was just crazy (haha). This was slightly discouraging, but also somewhat reassuring. It helped me recognize what was happening. I'm not sure if a cognitive approach would work for you, but it might help just to say "okay, I'm worrying. But I don't need to worry, everything is fine. I can worry tomorrow while I'm awake."

Hope that helps. It doesn't always work for me, but it's a start.

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I just got back from NYC, and since it was a school trip, I couldn't take any kind of sleep medication because my parents didn't give permission because they don't know about it. It was really have to me to get to sleep. I was in a different city, with different people, etc. I tried counting, but that didn't really work. I got to 390, I lost my number, and then gave up. I can't think of a story, so that doesn't really work either. It makes me think too much. I'm going to try meditating this week though, since I have time to myself. I haven't really looked into it yet either. Well, thanks everyone!

------------------

DC_WillowFan
Activist
Member # 631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DC_WillowFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I usually don't fall asleep either, it can take me about 1 hour or more. If I'm really tired I'll fall asleep rapidly but I ually think of all my life and stuff so that I can't fall asleep. In order to sleep I have to be awaked for about 16 hours. I've tried quite a few things but it doesn't really work.

David

------------------
- I hope I shall be able to confide in you conpletely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.

Anne Frank to her journal
(1929-1945)

Posts: 201 | From: Montreal, Qc, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
towel42
Activist
Member # 3118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for towel42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It really depends with me. Some nights, I'm out like a light, but I've had *really* bad insomnia before. I'm talking, not getting any sleep for around 48 hours at a stretch. Bleh.

As a side note, be careful if you're taking Tylenol PM. It really does work at first, but eventually, your body will get dependant on it. As soon as that happens, your system will start becoming immune to it. Then, you can't fall asleep at all without it, but it doesn't work when you take it. Not good at all.

I don't know why people say not to read in bed. Frankly, its the only thing that helps at all. Focusing on the print, helps me feel relaxed, and even if it's a really engrossing story, I usually find my eyes getting rapidly heavy. *shrugs* But then I'm wierd like that.

------------------
...an angel who didn't so much fall as saunter vaguely downward...

Posts: 256 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trying to focus on one thing actually makes it harder for me to sleep. I tried the counting stuff for a while and I've found that letting my thoughts wander actually helps me fall asleep. Sometimes watching tv with the volume low and the lights of letting me close my eyes works too.
Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Neophyte
Member # 3597

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i used to find going to sleep hard but i found i go to sleep quickly if the TVs on or the radio i now listen to music through my earphones ( mainly blink 182)even if you dont get to sleep very quickly then at least your doing something you enjoy.
Posts: 35 | From: England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Priestess
Neophyte
Member # 3747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Priestess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't stress hon. Sleep doesn't always come when you want. Just lay back and think of happy things and relax. You'll fall asleep in no time.

If you just CAN'T get to sleep, try getting a drink or sleeping on the sofa. get a blanket, change PJs, anything. If you are really desperate, have a warm shower.

Sleep shouldn't be forced, and don't take pills unless you really need to

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by keoki_14:
I've been having sleeping problems. I've read around on the insomnia posts here, and I really haven't found much of anything that works. Tylenol PM seems to work really well for me. But, sometimes I forget to take it...

So, how long does it take you to get to sleep? It takes me about 3 hours to fall asleep. All these thoughts run through my head, and I just can't fall asleep. Then I wake up in the middle of the night and I can't get back to sleep easily then either.

What are some more techniques do you use to get to sleep? Help me out, please.

Hey there. I'm an isomniac as well. It takes me at least an hour or two to fall asleep. You're right, some medications can help you sleep, but I don't wanna get addicted so I usually stay away from them. I'd help you, but unfortunately I'm still trying to figure out how the heck I can fall asleep!

------------------
"Only in dreams
We see what it means
Reach out our hands
Hold on to hers
But when we wake
It's all been erased
And so it seems
Only in dreams..."
-Weezer

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: All your base are belong to us!

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.