Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » "Mommy, how are babies made?"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Mommy, how are babies made?"
Purple Lemonade
Activist
Member # 2674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Lemonade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This morning my 3 year old brother, Nathan asked that very same question to my mom.
My mom said it was a special stew that my dad made ....Nathan was amazed that my dad could cook. *lol* How did your mom or dad tell you how babies were made?
This could be very interesting.....

[This message has been edited by Purple Lemonade (edited 04-15-2001).]

Posts: 54 | From: Manila, Philippines | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I don't think I ever asked. I do remember asking my Mom one day, when I was about 9, if she had to have sex to have a baby. And that was that.

I'm not a very curious child .

------------------
Sin by thy lips? Oh trespass sweetly urged, give me my sin again!

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never asked my parents, or, if i did, i don't remember. I didn't really wonder about stuff like that, and i got sex ed every two years, and i guess i just understood it...who knows, it's a mystery!
:P

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My parents taught natural childbirth courses and used to bring me with them when they were teaching (I'd sit in the corner and play or read).

I knew where babies came from. In elaborate detail. With charts. And I had to be reminded not to tell all the other children in playgroup quite so loudly.

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mother didn't. When I asked, she would either say that it grows in the mommy's stomach or say she'd tell me later. The former, while I didn't think it was a lie because I trusted my mother, always seemed weird to me, because it would mean that the baby was floating around with all of the food the mother ate, and, well... that's strange. I also realized that it didn't explain how the baby got there in the first place. She never did tell me later, and she only brought the subject up after she found a book about the human body that I had gotten as a birthday present from a friend in third grade, and which also explained reproduction.

That's kind of annoying, now that I think about it. I wonder how long she would have waited had she not found that book.

------------------
To the rational mind there can be no offense, no obscenity, no blasphemy, but only information of greater or lesser value.
-- Jennifer Diane Reitz

Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Never asked. Jackie Collins told me.

Now that's a fab start to sex education I tell you.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruth
Neophyte
Member # 3381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ruth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never asked my parents, but I do remember a funny experience I had. Once, in my childlike wisdom, I was playing with baby dolls. My dad asked me who my boyfriend/husband was, and I said "I don't have one." Dad was like, "You have to have a boyfriend or a husband to have a baby," and I was like, "Nope, don't have one."

So, later that day, Dad took me inside the house in front of the TV. On the screen were two people lying in bed together.

"You have to do that to have a baby, Ruth," he sternly told me.

Basically, all I did was roll my eyes and go back to my toys. Like I didn't know that already, Dad :P

--Ruth

------------------
I laugh in the face of danger. Then I hide until it goes away.

Posts: 14 | From: Sikeston, MO | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was always a very curious little girl. I had to know everything, asap. At first my mom would tell me that the baby gets planted into mommys tummy and grows. And eventually that turned into the full blown 'birds and the bees' discussion when i was ... about 9 yrs old, i think.
Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~KandyKiss69~
Activist
Member # 3052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~KandyKiss69~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm... I was always too shy to ask my parents, so I always asked my friends... Half of them didn't know the real answer. I finally asked my parents when I was 8 and got all the facts.

------------------
Shine, make em wonder whatcha got!-Newsboys
(((Kristine)))

Posts: 66 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't recall ever being told, but I know we did have a big pop-up book called 'The Miracle of Life' or something like that. It was a good idea, but in reality, it was kind of scary to open a book and have a giant half-dissected penis leap out at you.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was little, (about 6), I thought that babies came out of your mouth. Yech.
Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my folks never told me. but my dad had plenty of anatomy books and medical texts lying around the house. it was only a matter of time before i'd earmark the pages with diagrams of male naughty bits and fine the books on reproduction. oh yeah, cable television, too.

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mother was completely open and honest about the whole thing, there was nothing spared for us as children! I guess I knew for as long as I could remember..

Now Santa and the Easter Bunny is a whole other story!

entropie

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sapphire85
Activist
Member # 2709

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sapphire85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I ever got the sex talk. I think I might have asked when I was three or four. But I don't remember ever talking about sex after that. My parents continue to be silent.

------------------
"Those who don't got it, can't show it. And those who got it, can't hide it."

Posts: 121 | From: Some random suburb.. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Siren
Activist
Member # 3243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up on a farm, I saw how babies were made. When we bred horses my dad would say they were making babies, so I knew human babies had to be made in a similar fashion. Then when I was 6 I learned a word called sex, and realized human babies were made through that.

------------------
Lil Siren

Read My Thoughts...

Posts: 190 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.