Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » What is so wrong with sex?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is so wrong with sex?
Allicat1
Neophyte
Member # 3292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allicat1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In american society, sex is a taboo. until the age of 10, my friends and I would not only spell sex out, but we spelled it s-e-double hockey sticks. That was wheter we were refering to sex as gender or sex as intercourse. People go to great lengths to protect kids from seeing or hearing about sex. Parent can opt a child out of sex ed. my question would have to be why? Why does a natural act have so much bad publicity? Why are kids sheltered from it? Ideas on this?
Posts: 10 | From: US | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because, rightfully, it can be deemed as something young people shouldn't be taking part in until they are old enough to truly understand what it is. When you spelled it "S-E-double hockey sticks" did you have a clue what you were talking about?

However, I completely understand what you're saying. If I didn't I would be a complete hyprocrite because I think sex education and information is so so important. If every teenager knew about Scarleteen I think the world would seriously be a better place

BTW, I really don't think it's just taboo in America. Maybe just more sheltered?

------------------
You should make amends with you if only for better health. But if you really want to live, why not try and Make Yourself?

[This message has been edited by lilnerd (edited 04-11-2001).]

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In many religions sex before you are married is considered wrong. Plus, in my opinion sex is something special that should be shared with someone you love. When you have sex you open up a part of you that has been pretty much private and give part of yourself to someone. I think it's okay to have sex with someone who you really love when you are absolutely ready. But it seems that nowadays people are way too open about it (at least where I live anyway). I think sex is something that shouldn't be casually talked about like "hey you guys, I just had sex with my boyfriend." Many people think that some things are best kept to themselves, especially when so many people lately are having pre-marital sex at very young ages. Not that all pre-marital sex is wrong, but many people do it when thay are not ready and for the wrong reasons.

------------------
*^Lucky^*
Come check out what's goin on in Lucky's mind!

"At one point we decided to fight fire with fire. Well...basically...your house burned even faster."

"Outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, let's PLEASE remember that sex is NOT simply sexual intercourse.

Sexual intercourse is one KIND of sex. Sex can also be masturbation, it can be petting, it can be oral sex, and if it gets you aroused, it can be eating an oragne, for crying out loud.

I should perhaps also add that the great majority of the world's religions don't actually concern themselves with pre-marital sex, and some of them don't even view marriage as a sexual contract or union. A few of them don't even *have* a concept of "marriage."

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 04-12-2001).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One more reminder.

It's really helpful to use "I" statements. That helps to avoid placing moral value judgements on others, and allows others to read posts without feeling judged or insulted.

So, stating "I think," ot "I feel that," rather than "Ot is this way," or what have you, is really helpful, and it's important.

Grazie.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not judging anybody morally, because I don't think that any kind of sex is wrong. I'm only saying that one of the reasons why people don't talk about sex is because they feel that it should be kept to themselves or because of religious reasons. I'm saying this based on the opinions of people I know. In my own religion it is deemed wrong to have pre-marital sex although I don't always agree with that. I think everyone has a right to do whatever they want as long as it doesn't endanger themselves or others, and I have never judged anyone for their morals. Just in case anyone took any of my posts wrong, I never meant that having more than one sexual partner is wrong, or that sex at a young age is wrong (it isn't as long as you are ready), or that wearing sexy clothes is wrong. I'm sorry if anybody took it the wrong way. In my school people make immature assumptions about other people (nobody ever objects, although I do when I hear it) and almost all of my friends have engaged in some sort of sex or have dressed sexy, so that's why I'm not judging anyone.

I'm sorry.

------------------
*^Lucky^*
Come check out what's goin on in Lucky's mind!

"At one point we decided to fight fire with fire. Well...basically...your house burned even faster."

"Outside of a dog, a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
italienprincess
Activist
Member # 3087

Icon 1 posted      Profile for italienprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you know the story of adam and eve? where they wanted to apple so bad just cause it was forbidden? it prolly tasted just like the others, but that was different...

well, sex was supposed to be something private, something two people shared intimatly. no one really talked about it, it wasn't all in the movies or anything like that.

as the years went by, it became more of a curiousity, and then it exploded.

it isnt ne thing bad, not at all....
it is just a major lack of communication

Posts: 130 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

I really can't encourage those of you interested in this sort of thing enough to really research sexual history and anthropology.

The truth of the matter is that all around the world, for a LONG, LONG time sex has been about many, many things.

Throughout history and in various cutures it has been monogamous and polygamous, a PLETHORA of different sex practices have been practiced amoung people, and so forth. The idea that we have gotten LESS sexually conservative through history is really a misnomer. Truthfully, we have gotten far MORE conservative, and that isn't necessarily global. It's largely a product of our own culture, most notable in the twentieth century, from the Victorian Era onward.

Duff
Activist
Member # 2176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally i think it's just another way to contrain people, like all taboo's are, sex, sexual freedom, and sexually eduacate are all extremely powerful tools as far as confidence, and self incouragement go, for me at least, sex has had a big effect on just the way i get through things, and it also helps me understand and explore who i am, as well as who, my partner is. I don't think it culture should be so afriad of something so, you know, great. But you know knowing what you like and going for it tends to be discouraged.
Posts: 162 | From: NYC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.