Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Losing your pets

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Losing your pets
Purple Lemonade
Activist
Member # 2674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Lemonade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been crying for 2 days straight...cuz my pet cat, Elliot died. He was like a member of the family. I've never been so sad before, I mean, I've had pets die on me before, but cats aren't like goldfish.
So, I was just wondering how you guys have coped with your pets dying (if you've ever been unlucky enough to have a pet die on you before).

Posts: 54 | From: Manila, Philippines | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aww ... *Huge Huge Huggles*

A few years ago we had to put my pet poodle, Duffy, down b/c he had tumors in his stomach. That, and he was 14, had bad bones, and kept fracturing his hip. His teeth were crap and he was getting cataracts on his eyes. It was his time.

But it was really really hard for me. I cried for days and days and wished i could go to doggy heaven w/ him.

This too shall pass. It all does. I know it sounds really mean of me to say right now, but i've been through this, and i know of another advocate here who has (recently, actually, maybe she'll swing by here ...) as well ... So you'll get a lot of support here!!

{Speaking of which ... Maybe someone w/ higher powers than I, can move this over to support groups }

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~You*Know*Who~
Activist
Member # 1412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~You*Know*Who~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had pets die before...and I cry and feel like crap for the next week. I love animals and they really get to be parts of the family and they are your best friends. You miss them when they are gone

I have 6 birds, 1 rat and 2 dogs...we have to put 1 of the dogs to sleep before summer because she has and enlarged heart and shes 11 years old...I think that will be the hardest because I have had her since I was in kindergarten. But I have had 3 birds die, 2 dogs, and a rat. Its hard. i can empathize with you...

<BIG HUGS!!!>

Love you...get better

Posts: 252 | From: somwhere, usa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awww...that sux, my condolences. I've had quite a few pets, and 7 of them hamsters, have all passed on now. I don't handle that kinda thing very well, and i cried for a while too. I don't wanna get into the details, but one insidence was truly horrible with a baby hamster. I cry just thinking back on that.

Now i have 2 cats: 7 years, mittens.
6 months, sammy
luckily, i don't think either will be leaving us soon, but i know that if mittens were to die, i would be very very very depressed. I found her in a garage when she was 3 months old, and i rescued her, and she kinda adopted me. But i can tell i won't handle her leaving very well, cause couple of years ago my mom ran over a cat.
Sadly it died, and even more sadly, it caused me to hyperventalate.

i think you've just gotta take your time, because pets do become part of the family, and you love em so much, so just try and feel better.
There there, there there.

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ella
Activist
Member # 1168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so very sorry. It's never easy losing anyone. Time does help. It may sound trite to say that, but it really does.

Here's a link to another thread on losing animals, just thought I'd link it so people didn't have to repeat their stories.
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum9/HTML/000155.html

On top of my dog, which i talk about in that thread I've lost 5 cats in my life. Fred, Sara, Plugly, Saragain, and Willy. Two of them (Sara and WIlly) happened when I was too little to understand. With the others, I took some time to mourn and then you just continue with life. It is hard, but it does get a little easier each day. Good luck and lots of huggles coming from here.

Posts: 303 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Camzie13
Activist
Member # 2908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camzie13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BIG HUGS!!!!
In the past 3 years, I have seen two of my favorite pets die. Ginny, a 19 yr old lab, had been there since before my oldest sister was born. When I was five, she was the one to warm my feet each night, and she would never sleep anywhere else. Then when she got arthritis, my dad would carry her upstairs, b/c he know how much she loved me. Then, we gave up on her coming upstairs. We moved, and it was good because then she could walk up three steps to get inside...but eventually my dad had to carry her up those 3 steps. In 1998, she was havin a lot of accidents, and she couldn't walk. You could tell that she wanted to go, and on March 14, 1998, we had her put down. I cried for days, and for a while, i carried her picture everywhere.
Buckeye, a mini-pin, was in a pet store. We actually managed to get my mom to get him, and he was ours. In...1998, the same time ginny was really sick, he started to have seizures. We put him on steroids, so we had 2 dogs on steriods. He eventually got worse, but because he was so small we could carry him around. He was around for an extra 6 months, but when i think about it, I feel bad because he was ready to go, but my mom was the one that wasn't ready. Eventaully, on January 3, 2000, (he got to see the new year) we had him put down after my older sis got home from college. I know it is hard, but just remember that ur pet was hurting, and was ready to let go.
I have to go get a tissue now.

Posts: 147 | From: NJ | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diva2000
Neophyte
Member # 3353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diva2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally feel your pain. I've had 4 cats, a turtle and a frog who've all passed away.

In 1992 my cat Goldie Locks died. She was 13 when she passed away.
In 1994 my cat Lincoln died. He was a beatiful persian blue that died at the age of 17.
In 1996 my cat white sox died. He was my pride and joy. He was half bobcat so he was a big cat about the size of a golden retriever. I'll never forget how he could pounce onto the roof of our house. He died at the age of 18.
Then in 1997 my cat Oreo Cookie died. She was 13. I felt so sorry for her because she literally cried about the death of White Sox.
Then in 1998 my turtle stipes died at the age of 3.
In January of 2000 my 4 year old frog died.

Posts: 37 | From: Chicago,Il,USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*huggles* sweetie.

My dog passed away about a year ago and I cried my eyes out as well. The saddest thing was that he was so young. He was only reaching 2 years old.

I would walk into the house and he wouldn't be there wagging his tail at me. It was incredibly painful.

We have a new pup now who is the complete oppsite of Benji. But he's adorable in his own way and while he could never replace Benji, he took alot of the pain away because I know Benji would have wanted us to love Junior the way we loved him.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purple Lemonade
Activist
Member # 2674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Lemonade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for being so supportive, guys...It made me feel sooo much better.
Well, today my dad and me went to the animal shelter and got a kitten. He's really beautiful and he's black and he has white paws and a white tummy. Right now he's mutilating my arm
I still miss Elliot, though. Everyone in the family is still sad. We had him for 8 years.
Well, gotta go, Riley's getting hungry!

[This message has been edited by Purple Lemonade (edited 04-14-2001).]

Posts: 54 | From: Manila, Philippines | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear it, sweetie!!

It's alright to miss Elliot. What i did when my dog died was put all his stuff into the box and put it under my bed. I put pictures, his toys, a handful of dog food in a plastic baggy (twisted?), his collar and a few other things. This was just so they weren't lying around the house, and that i could look at them when i needed to.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.