Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Book Recommendations (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Book Recommendations
beautiful_teardrop
Neophyte
Member # 2517

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beautiful_teardrop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Back Roads by Tawni O'Dell
slightly disturbing, yet beautifully written and incredibly touching

Thin Ice by Marsha Qualey
suspensful, well written, wonderful...

The Wind Blows Backwords by Mary Dawning Haun
one of my all time favorite books, a must read for any teenager who likes love stories, but not romance novels... (if that made sense...)

And I must admit to a guilty pleasure of loving Fearless too *blush*

Posts: 23 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lostcat
Activist
Member # 3295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lostcat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ANYTHING BY KURT VONNEGUT!

i hope i made my point there but vonnegut is my favourite author ever- i could (and have) read his books over and over again and never grow sick of them. other favorites:

"microserfs" by douglas coupland- it's hilarious, it's a look at so called geek life in the 90's. a masterpiece. actually, anything by douglas coupland is...

"one" by david karp- it's kinda hard to find, but is amazing. it's rather weird at times, but is still very very good.

"nine stories" by jd salinger- jd salinger wrote 'the catcher in the rye', but in my opinion, "nine stories" completely kicks it out of the water.

"franny and zooey" by jd salinger- can you tell i'm a salinger fan? in this book, he is examining religion and how it relates to family structure.. brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

------------------
"i need to wash myself again to hide all the dirt and pain, 'cos i'd be scared that there's nothing underneath"- radiohead

Posts: 73 | From: chicago, il, usa | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa D
Activist
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. Eye of the World was absolutely amazing, so I'm really looking forward to continuing the series.
Posts: 442 | From: Dublin, OH USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Muahahaha, Lisa, you have been converted. You shall join the endless ranks of those of us who spend much of our lives Waiting For The Next Book to Come Out. Anyway, make a post about the series in All About You when you've finished, and we'll see how many others read it.

And I forgot about Lois Lowry, not surprizingly since I've only read one of her books, and it was a long time ago. I think it was called Number the Stars and it was about a girl whose Jewish friends escaped into Switzerland during WWII.

Roald Dahl too, is another one I'd agree with- both his children's and adult's literature.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ella
Activist
Member # 1168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's right it was called Number the Stars.

The Wheel of Time series...aaaaahhhhh, don't start...don't join the waiters...I'm a waiter, and I admit it. It's sad but true. I honestly sometimes think that he's never ever going to finish the series. In each book, because the characters seperate more and more so that there are more and more subplots, less and less happens. It's a curse, and you don't want to start it. This Christmas, I started rereading the series a couple of days before Christmas, because I knew a new book was out and I 'knew' that my mum would get it for me. Oh well, I know I'll have to wait another year for another book, and I will I enjoy it, when it's there, I just wish it was all written and I could read it all at once.

Posts: 303 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baptist
Activist
Member # 3017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Baptist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And of course, my all time favorite book is The Bible. I never get tired of reading it.

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!!!

Posts: 232 | From: Woodbridge, Virginia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angel07
Activist
Member # 8018

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Angel07     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hehe i cant really remember all the good books ive read but right now i have...
the giver
where the red fern grows (i still cry in it )
the wave~todd strasser (intresting)
enders game~ i think his names orson scott card.. and i like the sequel so far too. sci fi, which ive never liked but this is good.
a sudden silence~eve bunting
angus,thongs,and full frontal snogging and the sequels. its a diary style book of a teen girl. ~ louise rennison
the diary of anne frank
what are they saying about me?~maureen wartski
to kill a mockingbird~harper lee

Posts: 131 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blond ambition
Activist
Member # 9051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blond ambition     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Shes come Undone", by Wally Lamb...
i checked it out, it was recommended by katie holmes, in a magazine, along with others but it seemed more intresting.
Its the best book ive ever read, its amazing.

Also "The Dharma Bums" by Jack Kerouc, recommended by my guy was pretty good too.

Posts: 351 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks to our lovely search function i rediscovered this thread and thought i'd refresh it - mainly because i have recently read some lovely stuff i thought i'd share. strangely enough, i've happened to read my way half through recent man booker prize nominees and winners, and have been quite smitten with all of them.

yann martel: life of pi
a fabulous novel about spirituality and belief and how to deal when you end up shipwrecked in the company of a hyena, a zebra, a orang-utan and a 450 pound tiger.

tim winton: dirt music
a story on isolation in a relationship and societal pressure, set in a small town in western australia. stark, violent imagery, but most beautifully written.

tim winton: an open swimmer
this book is about jerra, who's in his early twenties, and a tad bit lost. he doesn't know where to go, what to do, whether to finish uni, so he travels through western australia with a mate. there's stuff he isn't over yet, and it's an interesting journey to find out what really happened between him and his best mate's mom.

robert drewe: the bodysurfers
drewe is an aussie author, too, and bodysurfers a lovely collection of interwoven contemporary stories set in sydney with awesome imagery and language and characters one is immediately attracted to.

ian mcewan: atonement
one of the best books i have read in years and have trouble describing it without ruining it. it's a coming-of-age story, it's about a girl failing to realise the dangers of an overactive imagination and longing for dramatisation of reality. it's a miraculous book, this one.

peter carey: true history of the kelly gang
the "diary" of ned kelly, australia's most notorious and most beloved criminal and the "first real aussie" (he hated the brits with a passion and felt strongly about freedom for the colony). written in kelly's slang, it takes a while to get in the flow of the book, but once i had gotten used to it, it was a most captivating read. such is life.

leon de winter: god's gym
a bizarre tale on fatherly love, espionage, and chance. sad and uplifting and funny, too.

jennifer egan: look at me
a model's face is destroyed through an accident and she is rendered looking completely different. the story deals with identity, past, dreams, reality and selling your soul.

michael moore: stupid white men
some of his methods and lines of argumentation are questionable, but it's a passionate, personal view on america and american politics today.

so, what have you all been reading lately? any recommendations?

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

Spike: (In response to being asked to fight a troll) "I would, but I'm paralyzed with not caring very much."

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leni
Activist
Member # 9536

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Leni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey!

Books to read?

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee is a must

The Great Gatsby by Fitzgerald

1984 by George Orwell is weird, scary, but great

The Lady of the Trillum by Marion Zimmer Bradley is good if you are into fantasy

The Secret Garden by Frances Hogdson Burnett

A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett

Jane of Lantern Hill by Lucy Maud Montgomery

The ODESSA Files by Frederick Forsyth

Agatha Christie is also really good

The Mystery of the Seven Dials

The Crooked House

Happy reading!

Love,
Leni

------------------
dive into shine, even a deep darkness changes into shine, because i am believing the moment

[This message has been edited by Leni (edited 02-26-2003).]

Posts: 114 | From: El Salvador, but living in London :) | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetsadie
Neophyte
Member # 10109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweetsadie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Books! What a wonderful thread topic...

I tend to read a lot of mainstream stuff, partly because it's readily available and I always see it on the shelves in the bookstore. Only one stands out in my mind right now, and that is

From the Corner of His Eye, by Dean Koontz -

This book seemed like a major departure from Koontz's usual thriller/slasher novels. The main storyline is a beautiful tale about a young woman, Agnes, whose son loses both his eyes to cancer and then suddenly regains his sight after ten years of blindness. It also contains interesting parallel storylines involving a psychopath and the religious cop trying to catch him, a rape victim and the miraculous baby she gives birth to, two men who are terrified of the outside world, a man who has lost his wife to polio, and a Latina woman struggling to learn English and blend in with her new surroundings.

I know it sounds confusing, but I thought Koontz did a wonderful job weaving all the storylines together so they flow smoothly.

Oh, and for Pink and all the other fans of Prozac Nation - my English professor is actually friends with the girl who wrote it...I thought that was pretty neat.

Posts: 16 | From: Whitehall, Pennsylvania, U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nifty
Activist
Member # 11254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nifty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
books that got me hooked...

bridget johne's diary. by whatshername.
a funny book. better than the film, well written & brilliant!

the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy. by uuuuhm.... doo dah.
(i dont really read the authors name... just the book... )
funny - wierd. greeeeeat!!!!!

well, bye

Posts: 52 | From: england | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Douglas Adams wrote those ones.
nifty, you'd probably like Sue Townsend's Adrian Mole books, which are apparently similar to Bridget Jones, but a good decade or two earlier.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost
Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pisces
Activist
Member # 11886

Icon 6 posted      Profile for pisces     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by towel42:
How did I miss this thread? I'm a bookworm, I could go on for days about this. Let me come up with some off of the top of my head.
NEIL GAIMAN
DOUGLAS ADAMS
"Sabriel" - by Garth Nix"

Whoo! I am such a geek, too, I love your name. Very amusing. Douglas Adams is great. And Neil Gaiman is... amazing. His graphic novels, normal novels, short stories, everything.

Sabriel was wonderful, I just bought the sequel, but I need to read so many other things.

Currently I'm reading Night Watch, by Terry Pratchett. Haven't read much yet, but I'm sure it will be great, as usual for PTerry.

Just finished Stranger in a Strange Land, by Robert Heinlein for school.

Lessee... what else real quick... I noticed someone (Eclipse?) mentioned Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, I want to read that, heard it was really good. I have the other one mentioned by him, the Dianomd Age, I think? Haven't read that yet either...

So many, not enough time, heh. Hmmm. Oh. Tamora Pierce writes wonderful books. Ok, done... I need sleep.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman.

The book is about a Hmong infant whose family just emigrated to America. The child is severely epileptic, and her treatment is compromised because her family doesn't understand the Western medical treatments given to her. In turn her American doctors cannot understand her family and gets frustrated because they cannot communicate effectively. The title comes from the Hmong expression for a seizure; they believe that malicious spirits try to steal a person's soul and as a result, the person convulses.

The book discusses the cultural rifts that make it difficult to treat the Hmong immigrants. Deeply held Hmong beliefs like the idea that the body only makes a finite amount of blood make it difficult to convince the Hmong to allow blood tests, and no, trying to explain that blood regenerates did not work. But the story is not one-sided. While the Hmong culture may seem backwards compared to what America has now, Fadiman's book showed the short-comings of Western culture and medicine.

I had heard of this book and the expression "the spirit catches you and you fall down" while I was studying Southeast Asia. My interest in the book is academic -- I studied Southeast Asian literature and culture in college as well as biology. I'm pursuing studies in health and medicine right now. It is a real eye-opener for those people who never thought about cultural comflicts and how they affect the health care a person receives. The book is frustrating and entirely engrossing. However, Fadiman doesn't do much to offer a real solution or compromise to the cultural divide between immigrant communities and the emergency rooms where many of them wind up.

------------------
¿Qué es el dealio?

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WinterMoon
Neophyte
Member # 9885

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WinterMoon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Montana 1948 by Larry Watson.
This is a short book, but certainly not lacking in content, description or anything like that. It tells the story of the death of an American Indian housemaid through the eyes of a young boy. I read it for year 12, and LOVED it.

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell.
Political satire at its best. A scathing attack on the society of Stalin's Russia, set in a futuristic time, in London (Or Airstrip One, as the case may be).

Animal Farm also by George Orwell.
An allegory on the nature of revolution. Short, but devastating. This book scared me.

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.
Imagery, storyline, everything about this was excellent. It made me cry though.

Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt.
This was another of my year 12 books, and it is excellently written. A bit unorthodox in its writing style, but I don't think I've ever laughed so much whilst reading such a tragic story. A true testament to strength of character.

High Fidelity by Nick Hornby.
Was made into an excellent film starring John Cusack and Jack Black, but was better as a book. Very, very funny. I laughed out loud reading it on the tram with my headphones in my ears and got strange looks from the other passengers.

Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keyes.
About a girl who goes into rehab....extremely, extremely funny. Marian Keyes is a great writer.

I'm sure there's more, but I can't think og them.

Posts: 28 | From: Australia | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't really read that often but a few good books I've read are:

"When the Wind Blows" By James Patterson
"Go Ask Alice"
"The Mummy" By Anne Rice
"The Outsiders" By S.E Hinton (I read it in grade 8 but I lovvvved it)
That's all I can think of right now

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~You*Know*Who~
Activist
Member # 1412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~You*Know*Who~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Lovely Bones": Alice Sebold/ This is an AWSOME book. I felt that I was a better person for reading this piece. Its about a girl who gets murdered by a serial killer and comes back to watch her friends and family.

"Catcher in the rye": JD Salinger Loved this book. I think everhone can relate too it.

"The devils teardrop": Jeffery Deaver If you like forensic science mysterys this is for you.

"The sound and the fury": William Faulkner I beat myslef over the head with this book many times, but I loved it in the end, and I feel like I am better for reading it.

Posts: 252 | From: somwhere, usa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxfire
Activist
Member # 8676

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to kill a mocking bird
holes
the everworld series
anything by Tim Cahill

------------------
"Only the foolish would fear Foxfire."
Kolbrun; Juniper order

Posts: 117 | From: Washington | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Hot Zone by Richard Preston. It's about the Ebola virus. Wonderfully gorey details about the effects of Ebola on the human body and all around a good (true) story.

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. An excellent story that takes place in colonial times about an adulteress and her relationship with the father. The imagery is beautiful.

Love Medicine by Louise Erdrich. A fellow Minneapolitan that writes an amazing story. This deals with Native Americans on a South Dakota reservation in the mid- to late-1900's. If you map out the family tree of the four families talked about, everyone is actually related somehow. (Just an interesting fact about the book...)

SLUT! by I've forgotten to authors name. This book is fantastic. It tells about how drastically the girls lives are affected if they're taunted as a "slut", regardless of how much sexual experience they have. The "slut" is the bi girl, the gay girl, the straight girl, the one that's different, the pretty girl, the ugly girl, the girl who flirts a lot, the quiet girl in the corner, the girl in a steady monogamous relationship or the girl raped at a party. It's definitely in interesting look into the implications of the word "slut" and the impact it has.

Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxfire
Activist
Member # 8676

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxfire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i forgot to mention Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robinson. it is such a beutifully weaved (sexually charged for smurf) and a harrowing adventure made by a man and woman truly in love. 5 stars

------------------
"Only the foolish would fear Foxfire."
Kolbrun; Juniper order

Posts: 117 | From: Washington | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
butterfly12
Activist
Member # 11263

Icon 10 posted      Profile for butterfly12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OO! Books! Yeah!
I just wish I didn't have Lit. this semester so that I could actually read books that I like, instead of the crap we have to analyze.

Anyway!

White Oleander by Janet Finch is awesome. If you've seen the movie, forget it, the book is sooo much better.

The Lovely Bones is great too - it gives you a new look on death.

------------------
"The drama queen is 17 and sleeping with the boys for free - she's got a reputation of being easy.."

Posts: 43 | From: Gaspesie, Quebec | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What butterfly said about analyzing books made me remember MacBeth by good ol' William Shakespeare.

For my HL2 IB oral english test, MacBeth was one of the works we had to know inside and out so we'd have study groups where we would read key passages and analyze them. It wasn't until I had those study groups that I really figured out how awesome of a story it was so now I enjoy on a multitude of levels.

Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sachie
Activist
Member # 9895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sachie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
eek, another thread i can't remember if i've replied to or not. oh well, i'll reply again. lol.

right now i'm reading "born confused" by tanuja desai hidier. it's about an indian-american girl who feels like she doesn't fit in. kind of a coming-of-age novel. most teenage girls would love it.

saul williams' "she" is really good. it's a book of poetry he wrote. he has such an incredible style - very simple and flowy.

"hard love" by ellen wittlinger is another book i like. my friend brianna told me about it and then it showed up at a bookstore about 6 months later, lol. the book is about a (male) zine writer who falls in love with a lesbian. it's cute, and i love the dedication.

there's more, but i can't think of any at the moment. sorry.

------------------
libido ergo sum.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.