Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » an hour and twenty minutes...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: an hour and twenty minutes...
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
until middlebury college oh-so-graciously posts my admission (or, more likely, rejection) decision on the *internet*.

although this strikes as me as, um, slightly impersonal, they do also send out letters. so i can't really complain.

my question is, how many of you are currently going through the ghastly college admission process? how many of you are waiting for letters? i have to say, this week i have been more stressed about just waiting for the mail than i can remember having been in years.

so come on, people, sympathize with me! hey, if i can't moan and complain about college here, then where can i do it?

em

------------------
Tout est au mieux dans la meilleure des mondes possibles

Everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds.
-Voltaire

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh hon, I just went to the Canadian University Fair and I'm already anticipating rejection letters even though I haven't even applied.

I understand the fear and the "elves dancing in ur tummy" as Kitten puts it.

Let us know how it goes sweetie. *hugs*

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yippy for the elves!

I actually did the college admissions thing a couple of years ago. Sheesh, this makes me feel old, lol. Anyway, I applied 'early admission', so I found out before Christmas (actually right on my birthday) my senior year. For anybody who's looking at applying, and knows exactly where they really want to go, early admission is a good road to take. The standards are usually not quite a high, and you find out early.

I'm sure everything will work out perfectly, em! *hugs*

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"Am I nervous? Am I scared? Is it worth it? Should I even care? ...Man I like this guy, I really like him alot!"
~Pam Tillis, 'Please'

~*~6 days till M-day~*~

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i remember the "big envelope." i even wrote an essay on it for my old magazine.

i applied to 4 schools, all in the University of California system ('cause it's cheap!). I hadn't even sent out my application when several of my classmates already got their acceptance letters to a plethora of private, parochial and Cal State schools. The UCs are notorious for sending their acceptances out late. And I had the day marked in my day planner: Mar 25 Accpetance Letters SENT!

So Mar 26, 1998 rolls around and I'm skittish as a rabbit. I run home and look thru the glass of the back door and see two fat envelopes on the mantle. I glance without even opening them; it was UC Santa Barbara and UC San Diego. I attempted a cartwheel, but since i can't cartwheel, I nearly busted my head on the coffee table. I ran out the front door to my next door neighbor's house, where one of my best friends lives. I was hopping up and down and hyperventilating in the foyer. I shrieked, "I GOT IN! I GOT IN!!!" She got her letters, too! She got into UCSB and UC Riverside.

I went home, since I left my front door wide open when I took off. My acceptance to UCSB also came with a $5000 Regents Scholarship and acceptance to their Honors Program. UCSD didn't offer much money, but I did get into their Revelle College which is for science geeks.

The next day, I got my acceptance to UCLA, and I was happy. I posted it on my website and got a few congratulatory emails. My class president, who had no prayer of getting into UCLA, congratulated me and said i should take it. My AP US History teacher jokingly said I should have gone for USC (he's a Trojans fan).

The day after that, I was called out of class to see my guidance counselor. He showed me the last letter I got. It was Berkeley. I said, "That's cool." I was so worn down, the acceptance was pretty anti-climactic. No honors, no scholarships. But I picked them anyway. And I'm still here. And it's kicking my arse, and my grades are mediocre, but I like it.

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ugh, early admissions.

surprisingly, it's not as good as it used to be. the past couple of years, at my school at least, fewer people have gotten in early.

i applied early to dartmouth, but i didn't get in. :-(...now, i'm sort of happy.

i got rejected from middlebury and NYU today. i expected the middlebury one, but NYU surprised me. i don't really get why i didn't get in, and to tell the truth i don't really care - i never really wanted to go there anyway. (hah, maybe my apathetic attitude has something to do with not getting in)

but it's all good because i got into colby and hamilton already. i'll end up at colby, i think. i got letters from both of those schools on the same day, last tuesday, and surprisingly i wasn't really happy. i think it was because i read my letter from carleton first, and i got waitlisted, so i was like "eh."

but yay! i'm only waiting for one more school! (william and mary...although, i'm not so sure i want to live in virginia)

em

------------------

-Voltaire

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about the rejects, em. But wherever you do decide to go will be very lucky to have gotten you!

It's so weird hearing everybody talk about applying a bunch of places...the only place I applied was here, thus the only place I got accepted was here. I don't know though, maybe it was just easier because I applied to the engineering program, and those programs are still trying to up the number of women in them.

lol, Look at it this way...once you get accepted, you have to start figuring out how to pay for it. Now there's a headache for you!

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"Am I nervous? Am I scared? Is it worth it? Should I even care? ...Man I like this guy, I really like him alot!"
~Pam Tillis, 'Please'

~*~6 days till M-day~*~

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, colby. My grandfather went there, and so did my mother (before she transferred to be near my father.)

Done the application process twice -- once for undergrad, once for grad school. And it seems like the getting-an-academic-job process is very similar only without the standardized test scores (apply, wait, interview, wait some more...)

Both school decisions were based on a combination of finances and what felt the most right at the time. I remember standing on Loyola's campus (my undergrad home) and just bursting into tears because I suddenly realized that yes, this nerve-wracking decision had been made, and it was there.

Purdue... I just knew from when I got the first department brochure. I was Supposed To Be here. I still angsted and got into other programs and contemplated, but it felt like the right choice.

Trust me, in a year or so it will hopefully seem like it was just the right thing to do.

erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about the rejections, em, but I'm with Kitten, the schools that have accepted you shall be very gald to have you!

Over here, I only had to put in one application for all 6 or so Unis I wanted to go to; if you want to do popular things like law or medecine over here , an independent organisation distributes the applications. When my letter from that organisation was in the mail, I also got a large one from the one Uni/Law school I *really* wanted to go - so it was all easy, opening the letter, I mean, because the decision was clear. It was a strange feeling to finally be here though, that "this is it, you'll move here, live here, study here"-thing. And now I'm almost done with Uni.....geeeez, how quickly time passes.

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
manda_is_cool
Neophyte
Member # 3216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for manda_is_cool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did the 'waiting game' in December & Janurary.
I had to wait for my OP (the mark that determined what University course I could get into) in December, then I had to wait for another month to find out if I got into my first preference.

It was like torture.

Good Luck!

Posts: 6 | From: mandaville | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My university admission was straight-forward.

I completed high school, got my marks, and sent off a list of preferences for which degrees I most wanted to study. Just fill in the numbers.

Then I waited for the reply.

------------------
Cranial space for rent.

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to hear about the rejection letters, too, em.

I applied mostly to journalism schools. It's a pretty tough screening process for some of them - so I really felt like I had put a lot into the whole thing, and I was worried at the prospect of a rejection. I applied to three journalism schools, and one other school for poli-sci. I got into all of 'em except one of the j-schools.

The first school I heard back from was the one I'm at right now, Concordia. I got in, and the fact that I was accepted into a journalism school was cause for me to jump up and down and make happy noises (which is really a rarity).

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

oh, do you like concordia? i think i have a friend there, but she may have graduated.

i almost applied to mcgill, but it's so cold there. :-(

em

------------------

-Voltaire

Joryuu
Neophyte
Member # 2329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joryuu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The application thing was horrible. I was doing it this time last year. Well, the actual applications weren't awful, but the waiting sure was

But, the way I look at it, is that things always turn out good in some way. My lifetime dream was to attend Brown University. I didn't get in, so I settled for NYU, and I'm crazily happy here. I love the campus, I adore my classes, and I would have never met so many incredible people had I gone to Brown.

------------------
-zarah.
karma police, arrest this girl

Posts: 19 | From: in between the moon & you | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

college is so weird.

harvard letters arrived today. i didn't apply, but it's weird how so many people who should have gotten in - absolutely SHOULD have - didn't, and how many other, seemingly randomly selected people did.

same thing with NYU. i know like 4 people who were clearly overqualified and were using it as a safety school, but didn't get in, and several other people who were less qualified but did get in. i just don't get it.

uggghhh.

em

(btw, i have a couple of friends who are going to NYU next year. do you go to tisch by any chance?)

------------------

-Voltaire

Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my friends - well, actually, I don't know if we're quite friends just yet, maybe just acquaintances - at Concordia is from Boston...

I like it here, for the most part. It's a very progressive school, not nearly as stuffy as McGill, where my girlfriend goes. One of the few things I don't like is that the school is split between two campuses, and it's annoying when you have classes on both of them.

Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

i don't know anything at all, hardly, about canadian schools which is weird because it really seems like a great system you guys have up there. i have 2 friends at mcgill right now, one is a senior who hates it ( ) and one is a freshman who loves it.

em

------------------

-Voltaire

Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey em, I'm a freshman at McGill and I hate it. So there ya go...

Okay, just kidding. It's not so bad. And it's not really that cold. The buildings are pretty. It's just the scary beaureaucracy... too big... too confusing... (I'm from a fairly small high school). And the stuffiness, like Dzuun said. But I suppose that's to be expected from old universities with a good academic reputation :P

There's a girl from Boston in my choir. She likes how cheap everything is up here.

[This message has been edited by Rizzo (edited 04-07-2001).]

Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.