Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » I am beautiful because...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I am beautiful because...
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was watching Oprah when she aired this segment about this woman. Who went through childhood watching her mum primp at the mirror, fussing about her looks and telling herself and her daughter she didn't look good enough, that she had so many flaws.

This girl grew up thinking that she couldn't possibly be beautiful and she went on this journey to find what women thought was beautiful about themselves.

And she found that so many women found it so hard to complete the sentence I am beautiful because. Because they had been taught that they could never be beautiful enough.

So, what makes you beautiful? Think about it. I shall start the ball rolling.

I am beautiful because I am compassionate, loving and I genuinely care about everybody in my life, no matter how distant they might be.

[This message has been edited by Lin (edited 03-26-2001).]

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am very very very bad at anything that involves liking yourself. So bad that I have to see a psychiatrist about it. But, maybe, I am beautiful because all people and even animals matter a hell of a lot to me, and I'll do anything I can to help them.
Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am beautiful, because... Oh goodness, I'm having a brain fart. I'm just not feeling beautiful right now ::sigh::. BUT, let me reach inside myself, there has to be some beauty there. Hmmm, rubber chicken, colored scarves, oh there it is! My Beauty! I'm beautiful, because I respect people, and I feel good about that .

------------------
Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes, because then you're a mile away, and you've got their shoes!

Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm beautiful, because I am there for people when they need me; I am compassionate; I have learned to forgive and I have learned to love.

(Puh, that wasn't as easy as I thought)

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...I'm easy to talk to.
...I listen to what you have to say and won't judge you because of it.
...I always say whats on my mind and I'm not affaird to let you know if I agree or disagree with you.
...If I love you I'll let you know (BTW I Love You guys!!!).
...I'm a woman.
...I'm a human.
...I'm a friend.
...I'm a daughter.
...I'm a granddaughter.
...I'm a neice.
...I'm loved.

(Someone pass the cheese now )

------------------
To be a princess is to be an actress, but not necessarily a good one.
Don't dream your life, live your dream

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am beautiful because my soul is beautiful, because I've learned to love myself and others inspite of faults, and because I'm still learning something new everyday that is making me a better person.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"Am I nervous? Am I scared? Is it worth it? Should I even care? ...Man I like this guy, I really like him alot!"
~Pam Tillis, 'Please'

~*~11 days till M-day~*~

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weeellll.... I am beautiful because I can see the best in all people and I can be friends with everybody. I am unique and have a good sense of humour, I am intelligent and I strive to be the best person that I can possibly be. Mostly though, because I am ME, and everybody is different (which is a really good thing).

------------------
*^Lucky^*
Come check out what's goin on in Lucky's mind!
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am beautiful because I am a mother. It is exceedingly hard, and sometimes not very rewarding, but I am doing it out of love for my child, and I can't imagine myself doing anything else.

------------------
I have a hideous, hideous secret...
you see, when the full moon shines, I undergo terrifying changes... My skin gets hard and stiff... shingles grow on top of my head... I turn into... a house.

That's right... I'm a werehouse.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why am I beautiful???

I am beautiful because I am there for people who need me, if somebody needs a shoulder to cry on I am there for them. I have people who care about me so much and it is wonderful. My boyfriend makes me feel soooo beautiful even when I am depressed.

I am beautiful because I have an 88% IN MATH!!! HEHEH Im so bad at math you would laugh, so this is a great accomplishment for me!

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa D
Activist
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmmmm, an interesting observation -

Everyone said they were beautiful because of something *inside* them (I'm loving, I'm a mom, I'm compassionate) but no one said *anything* favorable about themselves physically...are we embarrassed to consider ourselves physically attractive?

I'm beautiful because I'm loving (and in love!) and smart and funny, but I'm also pretty darn fond of my green eyes, long neck, and big butt, which is accented by my small waist

Posts: 442 | From: Dublin, OH USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Siren
Activist
Member # 3243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's see....I am beautiful because I was given the gift of a singing voice, my eyes are so green, I'm not afraid to be exactly who I am, and I have a lot of compassion for people, animals, and all living things (including our planet).

------------------
Lil Siren

Posts: 190 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tifa528
Activist
Member # 1484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tifa528     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm beautiful because:

* I'm unique
* I'm compassionate
* I'm can crack anyone up (including myself... I do that very often)
* I'm a natural born leader
* I give good advice to anyone who needs it
* I'm a great friend
* I'm fun to be around
* I can see the beauty in everyone around me, and I try my best to emphasize it

Posts: 56 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure where I've been while this post has been going on ... odd.

Anywho ...

I am beautiful because ...

... I respect myself and have the courage to be myself at the tender, turmulous (isn't a word ... derivetive of 'turmoil') age of 15
... I can laugh at myself (and frequently do)
... I love and respect near everyone I know
... I care maybe a bit too deep emotionally for people I just met, but know will be a big part of my life
... I am the sibling of an incredibly smart dork that I absolutely love (my bro!)
... I do what I want
... I am a sister, daughter, cousin, neice, first cousin once removed to 11 great kids under the age of 11 (ooooh!! They're all so ca-yoot!)
... I am left-handed and cotton-pickin' proud of it!
... I am physically built beautifully (nice bone structure in my upper body)
... I am 5'4", 150 pounds and near every bit of it is muscle (GO HOCKEY!)
... I understand people and help them as much as I can, even if it means sending myself off the deep end
... I overcame some huge self-esteem issues and am happier than a clam now and will do anything to help others that are having the same problem

I think that's enough for now. Lin, this was a really good idea for a post and I hope more people reply.

Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tifa528
Activist
Member # 1484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tifa528     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh, yeah. I forgot to add about me being left handed!

Left handed people rock my grandma (and that's a whole lotta rockin')!

Geez, I think I took too much cold medicine. I'm acting kinda strange.

Posts: 56 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I'm actually now finding this whole post depressing because I don't seem to have any the qualities that make every one else beautiful. I'm having a bit of a depressed stage at the mo but.....Never mind
Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GO LEFTIES!!!!!
Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~KandyKiss69~
Activist
Member # 3052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~KandyKiss69~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am beautiful because Im not afraid to be different.

------------------
Shine, make em wonder whatcha got!-Newsboys
(((Kristine)))

Posts: 66 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allicat1
Neophyte
Member # 3292

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allicat1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am beautiful because i have the ability to keep my self forever amused
Posts: 10 | From: US | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
italienprincess
Activist
Member # 3087

Icon 1 posted      Profile for italienprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

this was a realy sweet post, it made me smile!!!

i am beautiful because i am totally and completely unique. there is no one else in the world like me.
i guess that makes everyone else beautiful too huh?

Posts: 130 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.