Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » School Shootings

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: School Shootings
BlinkN*boys182
Activist
Member # 3146

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlinkN*boys182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All these shootings going on are getting kinda scary, I mean they could happen to any school anytime. Just think, your sitting in Alegbra, hoping the bell rings soon and all of a sudden one of your good friends walks in with a gun and comences shooting. It could happen. And it seems that no one can stop it. Whats a highschooler to do? I am thankful I live in a small town, but even then it could happen here. I just hope and pray for the victims that they will be okay. I cant live my life underneth a rock either so I must be careful of whatever i do.
Does anyone eles feel the same way?
Addy

------------------
good girls blush at sex sences, redheads know they can do better

Posts: 60 | From: over the rainbow | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Just think, your sitting in Alegbra, hoping the bell rings soon and all of a sudden one of your good friends walks in with a gun and comences shooting. It could happen.
Yes. It could happen. You could get killed at school when you least expect it. You could also get killed in a car accident when you least expect it. The car crash, however, is far more likely.

You might die in a school shooting; however, the odds are overwhelming that you won't. You'd be better off worrying about car accidents.

------------------
To the rational mind there can be no offense, no obscenity, no blasphemy, but only information of greater or lesser value.
-- Jennifer Diane Reitz

Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What can I say? I'm glad to be Canadian. And what can I do about a country that'll take control over everything -- even space -- just because it can, with threat of violence? Bloody hell, I guess there's not much more to do than stay informed, and become politically active. Our parents' generation protested things they thought were wrong; we should too.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scary thing happen two days before spring break let out. I walked in my 8th block like any other day. Joking with friends and stuff when two mintues before class stared and lady come over the intercalm (sp...hehe) and said for all students to get into class and shut the door. Well everyone just acted like it was nothing (including me). My teacher shut the door and yelled at anyone who went near a window. He said he had no idea what was going on, so a few of us all snuggled together in the corner of the class room. Of course we couldn't help but giggle. One boy was really scared. He almosted started crying. Then 5 minutes later the lady came back and said it was a drill. Talk about a sigh of relief. The sad thing is that no one took it very serouisly. It could have been real and there we were laughing like it was nothing. Then again my pre algebra class is full of goobers.

That's nothing compared to what we went through last year. We had aleast 4 threats. First one they found a hit list on the floor. Thats when they start drilling us. Second one a girl wrote in her own poop in the restroom that all preps were gonna die. 3rd someone wrote all n****r were gonna die, and the 4th one gave the date April 1st. They day before I begged my mom to let me stay home. But she wouldn't. She made me go. I came to school to see there were medal detectors at the doors. Everything was searched. It was scary but everything went ok. We had to sets of drill 'Code Yellow' which was practice, and 'Code Red' which was real. I remember when we had our first code red. Sitting there watching a movie in english when the princepal beeped in three times and annouced a code red. Everyone stopped breathing. The teacher order us to shut the windows and blines and to keep watching the movie. She could see everyone was scared and she said if we wanted to we could sit on the floor. Before she could finish her sentence everyway was down. Turns out is was nothing to serious. Just a parent who had gotten out of control.

It's scary to think that one day I could go to school and never come home. I pray every day that nothing happens, and just in case before I leave school I always give my mom a kiss, a hug, and a I love you.

P.S. Did I mention that I just got back from a Matchbox 20 concert. Rob Thomas is soooo sexy.

------------------
To be a princess is to be an actress, but not necessarily a good one.
Don't dream your life, live your dream

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I read the papers and I have seen at least 3 high school shooting in the US in 2 weeks. That is a huge figure and very very scary.

Why is this so? Is it the public school system which ostracises people who are not 'hip' or 'cool' enough? If so, I think it is very very sad.

I'm just grateful for our super duper strict gun laws here.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't get what it will take for America to learn that kids with guns can and often does equal kids shooting people. We had one horrific school shooting in a small town in Scotland a few years ago and soon after that gun restrictions became extremely strict. It makes me feel a lot safer, even if there is more chance of dying in a car crash. I just don't get how selling tools for killing people can ever be legal or a 'right'. Ahhh, human beings.
Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interestingly enough, if you really look at these situations, they *always* happen in small towns or in the suburbs.

Honestly, as much as I dislike guns, I highly doubt guns are the real issue here. I think more of the issue is teens who are somewhat divorced from the realities of violence, who don't get enough support when they need it, and who aren't encouraged to empower themselves in positive -- rather than negative -- ways.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually I read the papers and I have seen at least 3 high school shooting in the US in 2 weeks. That is a huge figure and very very scary.
Yes, but that's not the average rate of shootings. It's far from it, in fact. What usually happens is that one shooting will trigger, if not several more shootings, then several other attempts at harm and a number of threats.

And, in the interest of promoting rationality, I feel compelled to point out something now, before this thread turns into speculation as to what causes school shootings:

Access to guns is not a new phenomenon; it's been around for decades. Troubled teenagers are not new either; they've been around for millenia. Children have been picking on each other forever. Individuals with a low breaking point who will easily snap and engage in antisocial behavior have been around forever, too, along with the occasional inattentive parent. None of these things are new phenomena.

School shootings are new. They're virtually unique to the last few years. When nursing your own little pet theory about why they happen, keep that in mind and ask yourself why they started when they did. Why not earlier? Why not later? What changed around the time that these things started?

------------------
To the rational mind there can be no offense, no obscenity, no blasphemy, but only information of greater or lesser value.
-- Jennifer Diane Reitz

[This message has been edited by Lynne (edited 03-26-2001).]

Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, school shootings in the UK and US seem to have rien noticeably in about 1995, but have occurred before in the US and the UK (with another rash of them in the seventies).

In fact, youth crime statistics show that as compared to youths in the 70's, today's youths are actually notceably LESS violent, not more so, and that the current rate of youth violence is at an all-time LOW, not a high.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etch
Activist
Member # 182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Etch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are right Miz S, we are less violent as a whole. But certain individuals have become more violent and those violent acts have become more shocking. Just like drugs, most kids dont do them, but unlike 30 years ago some kids are doing harder more lethal drugs then they were back then.

My theory has nothing to do with access to guns, because we have had access to them since forever actually. As much as i hate to say this i think it has to do with all the fuzzy feelings parents, schools, psychiartists and the government are trying to shove into our brains. They are trying to make it seem as though we have no enemies in the world, or like we shouldnt. This is causing extreme boredom and frustration in many teens. I have seen it, and experienced it.

Kip Kinkel (the one who killed his parents then 2 people at school wounding 23 here in Oregon) went to psychiartists, was put on prozac and had a loving family. Some people like Kip werent the fuzzy wuzzy humanistic type thing, but that was what was fed to him. And he HATED it.

And maybe perhaps it is the way the economy is working. During the nineties it was moving VERY fast. Society and culture moved with it. It was, and is, and age of extremes. Kids mentality, perhaps, is just going along with it and looking for the big bang, the most shocking thing. And we dont even know we are doing it.

I dont know if i make any sense. Basically i think it is the attempt at over sheltering young people. We have conflicting vies on society from what we see going on around us, but society doesnt really want us to know what is really going on.... ok i still dont make sense... oh well.

Posts: 523 | From: Ashland, Oregon, US | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My school has endured a couple scares. During my freshmen year we got a bomb threat everyday for 2 weeks straight. It was some stupid kids just trying to make an excuse to get out of school, and after a while it got to be like nothing. In the beginning they'd start out by locking us all in rooms, and having police come, etc... then it got to where we all evacuated the building and had to walk a mile away. We pretty much got the hint that it was a sick joke when everyone just took all their stuff and left for the day as soon as they heard the announcement. It's so sad that they have to do that, but I guess giving a couple 100 people a scare is worth their day off...

------------------
You should make amends with you if only for better health. But if you really want to live, why not try and Make Yourself?

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Actually, Etch, it made plenty of sense, and was very insightful. I would tend to agree with you for the most part.

I think we do do people a disservice by simply *denying* that we all can be aggressive, and that it is indeed part of our nature as a species. The trick is to find a way to address that aggression, that anger -- and in teens, I agree, that feeling of containment or futility -- and deal with it productively.

because what can motivate one person to kill can motivate another to do incredibly postive, energetic work. But if we do not ALLOW anyone positive, necessary or benign outlets, all we do is set up a culture in which violence becomes the only outlet for our aggression.

glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh definatly.....In my school 7 kids got suspened for threating other students by saying they were going to kill them....Also there was a big threat that on the Ides of March somebody was going to bomb the school. There was still school on that day, but half of the school didnt even go because parents made them stay home. Our school was on the news and everything. I didnt go to school, my mom wouldnt let me, better to be safe then sorrys! Finally the threats have calmed down. I just hope that a shooting or a bombing never ever happens in my school.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to live in Toronto, Ont ... And our school was one of the better known schools in the area for our tendancy of being so darn violent.

When i was a freshman, one of the first dances i went to ended w/ everyone in tears. We were all getting ready to go home, after dancing our lil legs off all nite, and we heard gunshots right outside the door. The teachers slammed the doors shut and rushed everyone up a set of stairs.

Silly me, the only thing on my mind was "wow, moms going to be worried about me. I have to find her". They wouldn't let anyone out, and no one was allowed to come in. Strict orders from the principal. Teachers guarded the doors ... but somehow mom slipped through. She basically threatened them and said that her "baby girl" was inside and she had to come in. Now.

I've never been so happy to see her in all my life. My friends and i were sort of clinging to each other, not knowing if anyone had been shot or what had happened. I don't think they even knew. When we finally were allowed to leave (30-45mins later), the school was surrounded by cop cars and flashing lights and ... it was weird. It's like everything was in slow motion.

We never heard anything about it after that. My school was stupid and figured that if you didn't talk about it, it didn't happen. But then word gets out and the stories get twisted around to someone was killed or someone is gonna burn the school down next time ... It's just not worth it.

During the following year, we had a bomb threat. Our school was raided w/ those bomb squad pps, but they never evacuated us. They just searched all the classrooms, while we were in them (is that a way to scare the geepers outta someone or what?!), and turned up nothing.

Very scary stuff. I'm sort of in a suburb type area now (I live in the sticks) and in the few months i've been here, we haven't had anything close to that. We have fights ... but they use words and fists, not guns and knives and bombs ... etc.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know, a guy in my grade got permanently expelled last week for having a hit list and threatening to shoot everybody. He told everyone that he was going to come to school with a gun and shoot some people. He was serious, too. Alot of people were really scared- most of my friends didn't even come to school the day he said he was going to do it. It never actually happened though, since the place was swarming with cops and most of the doors were locked and sealed off. Still, I was pretty freaked out.

The sad thing is, the reason why this kid was going to do it was because he got teased all the time and everybody was really mean to him. I don't get it- can't people just get along with each other? I don't make fun of people, I just get along with everybody.

Plus, besides the gun threat, in the last year our school has had at least 5 bomb threats. And I live in a pretty small town, too.

------------------
*^Lucky^*
Come check out what's goin on in Lucky's mind!
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amongthethorns
Neophyte
Member # 3173

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amongthethorns     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah all these school shootings scare me ... my school is so small and they're doing constructions so there's those plastic fences and also the gate fences put everywhere.. we're like trapped and there'd be nowhere to go... scary ..

------------------
"When a person doesn't express theirself, they die one piece at a time."

Posts: 21 | From: Cambria, California | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of my fiance works as a security guard at a Virginian high school. She mans metal detectors, checks doors, etc.

Recently, children from her school were arrested after the police were tipped off. They found a rifle and a list of names - including hers.

On the other hand, you have 8 year olds being suspended for making a pistol motion with their hand.

I think there's a couple of main reasons for the shootings.

Firstly, as already stated, violence is becoming trivialised. School shootings mean instant infamy - and America is the country of the five second grab at fame.

Secondly, parents are not paying any attention. Remember the "trenchcoat mafia" guys? They managed to stash guns and pipe bombs in their homes - without their parents even waking up to it. How can you miss a bomb-factory in your childs bedroom? Hello?

Parents aren't parenting. I'm against corporal punishment, but a lot of parents these days refuse to allow their children to be disciplined by teachers. Their angels can do no wrong - therefore the teacher must be picking on their poor baby.

How does that teach responsibility?

I've seen teenagers driving cars powerful enough to require a lot of experience. They didn't earn the car, their parents bought it for them. To them a car is a toy, not a dangerous and potentially lethal chunk of high-speed plastic and steel.

There was a suggestion to raise the legal driving age in Virginia. The majority of people complaining against it were parents - "I don't want to have to pick Timmy up after soccer practice! He should drive!"

To be blunt, a lot of American youths are becoming spoilt brats; simply because their parents are too lazy to bother teaching them any better.

------------------
Cranial space for rent.

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cats31_01
Neophyte
Member # 3167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cats31_01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! I totally agree w/you, ThisGuy. Parents aren't parenting and kids are being led astray. People try to blame the violence completely on the media, but that's not the whole problem. While parents are getting "lazy" as you put it, a lack of respect and responsibility from the kids doesn't help matters any.
These school shootings are scary. I come from a rural community and go to a small school. But that doesn't mean that it couldn't happen there. As each year progresses, I realize that the children that are coming into the high school get scarier and less responsible. While they only do little things like wear inappropriate clothing or stuff like that, they act in ways that could lead someone who doesn't know them to think that they could be extremely violent.
School shootings can happen anywhere. Everyone needs to be prepared for it, but it shouldn't be dwelled upon to the point that parents don't want to send their kids to school or the kids are scared to go. Take things each day at a time, but still be prepared for anything.

Posts: 23 | From: Kansas | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think the perpetrators don't really have a grasp on what death is. i certainly have difficulty comprehending that sort of permanence. so when they go on their killing sprees, they don't really consider that it's the end, whether for themselves if they choose to die at the end, or for those they have massacred.

it's a shame it's come to this. one starts it off, and suddenly, it looks like a good idea to some other joey suburban.

i watched a CNN interview with two high school girls discussing violence in schools. frankly, i was disgusted because the students chosen by CNN are exactly the type of people who exclude nerds, dweebs, geeks, goths, punks and whatever-have-you, driving these marginalized kids to extremes. i was a geek in high school and junior high, and those girls interviewed were just like the people at my schools who i despised and resented. granted, i never lifted a hand to anyone, i do know what it's like to be grossly unpopular.

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WoW! I never really knew any of this was going on. We here about it when someone dies, and that's shocking, but its more unusual. I just cant imagine kids seriously threatening to kill each. I mean, we all fall out but what type of things must they have been taught by their parents to even consider murder of those who you don't like/don't like you as an option.
And yes, the problem goes a lot deeper than the availability of guns but it's gonna take a hell of a long time to have a world full of happy, well balanced teenagers who don't want to shoot people and in the meantime shouldn't we make it harder for them to have the ability to kill in the hope of saving some innocent lives??
Should have been a full stop in there somewhere I'm sure.

Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the grand reason for these school shootings (there are loads of other reasons such as availabilty of guns in the US) is it is a symptom of a wider problem. The society of right wing western countries (US, Britain and now partly Japan even though its not Western) is one that does not want to hear about the 'losers.' It is concerned with the winners of society, those that will consume goods more, buy more clothes, get more satellite dishes, look nicer. The role models of this society are paraded over the media (you cant just blame the media thought it does play a part). You see celebrites looking nice, in their massive houses with all the latest consumer goods. This leads to a larger and larger minority of people becoming dispossesed. Nobody wants to know about them, they just are not 'cool.' Different people react differently to this state of affairs, but it appears that some of them go into their schools (if they are young) and shoot people.
Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baptist
Activist
Member # 3017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Baptist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe that these school shootings underscore this nation's spiritual and moral decline. No legislation can solve this problem. We as a nation, must look at ourselves in the mirror and ask the question, "Are we doing enough to promote traditional values and ethics?"

I pray to God that our country's spiritual equilibrium will return.

NOVUS ORDO SECLORUM

Posts: 232 | From: Woodbridge, Virginia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LRGPNS
Neophyte
Member # 728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LRGPNS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the number of school shootings haven't increased as much as you're making them out to be. the publicity has hoot through the roof. something aronund being covered 350% more than a few years ago. so in 90, if a bunch of kids got killed in a school, there was a little blurb in the paper. now, we have weeks upon weeks of coverage.
Posts: 6 | From: Around, MD, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cats31_01
Neophyte
Member # 3167

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cats31_01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. It's all because the media made the stories big. Yeah, the stories are big and important, but the only reason we're hearing about them now is because the media found something that will help their business.
Posts: 23 | From: Kansas | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diva2000
Neophyte
Member # 3353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diva2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll tell you from experience no matter how good or safe your school seems is it could happen.

Let me tell you the story.

I was riding in on the bus on March 19th. There was an assembly scheduled for our girls basketball team who had won 4th place in the State. Everybody was talkin about a rumor that someone was going to shoot up the school during that assembly. I didn't think much of it because rumors like these had gone around since the Santee shooting.

When I was walking to my first hour class that morning I was walking by this dude who had just tolk his friends "I have a gun in my locker" and something about "I'm shooting up this crib before the second hour assembly" That worried me but I thought he's showing off, who would be stupid enough to tell someone that he is going to shoot up our school if he really means it.

After the bell rang I left my first hour class as I was heading to my second hour class(which just happened to be Algebra) Normally I stood outside the door before the bell and talked to friends. Right before the bell rang three shots rang out. Time just seamed to stand still. I heard screaming, and people were running towards me. I saw that guy with the gun the same one that I saw earlier and overhear his conversation. I ran in my classroom. I was Scared, crying and praying, but most importantly I was safe.

In the end 3 people were injured and the two gunmen were arrested and expelled.

I'm not trying to scare you, but it is a true story. Just remember to be careful and take every threat seriously.

[This message has been edited by Diva2000 (edited 04-14-2001).]

Posts: 37 | From: Chicago,Il,USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just expelled?

------------------
Stuff© - try some today!.

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.