Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » skin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: skin
CrazyGirl
Activist
Member # 2648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrazyGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen a mirror in about 8 hours... why didn't anyone tell me I looked like a dork?? Ugh.

Okay, need some quick tips. I have dark cirles under my eyes (hereditary) and don't want to go through surgery or anything, but would like 'em to not be so noticable. Any ideas or advice? Plus I'm very fair skinned, and often look pasty. Also, if I'm hot or something, my skin gets pink/reddish and that kinda bugs me too. Plus I think I have keratosis pilaris, but that's starting to go away thank goodness. To sum everything up... my skin definitely isn't perfect, but how can I make it look perfect?

Also, just listening to "Butterfly" by Crazytown..... that song is almost hypnotic!

Done

------------------
"Always shoot for the moon because even if you miss you'll land among the stars." -Unknown

Posts: 136 | From: City of Angels | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The truth is that most people probably don't even notice these "flaws". People tend to be more self-critical than they should be- likely the reason no one told you you look like a dork, is because you don't look like a dork.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also very very fair, and the skin under my eyes is literally purple (and it's that way naturally), so I've had experience with this stuff. First of all, you're going to have to learn to live with it. Sorry, but there isn't anything you can do to change these aspects of your skin -- and really, they're not terribly major imperfections. Pale skin even used to be considered the ideal, and there are still people today who consider it attractive. There are some very beautiful people out there who are fair.

That said, there are things you can do to lessen the appearance of some of the supposed imperfections. Concealer can help hide the circles under your eyes. You may have to try a few different brands and shades until you find one that works. Supposedly, if you get one with a yellow base, it will help cancel out the blue, but I'm a bit doubtful of this. You can't make your skin darker without tanning (which is very bad for your skin) or using fake tanner (I've no experience with it, so I don't know if it's any good or not), but you can make it look glowing and healthy by exfoliating and keeping it clean. The redness when you get hot is probably due to how fair you are; there isn't anything you can do about it. Luckily, most people either won't notice, or will realize it's because you're hot.

------------------
To the rational mind there can be no offense, no obscenity, no blasphemy, but only information of greater or lesser value.
-- Jennifer Diane Reitz

Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ella
Activist
Member # 1168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt you looked like a dork! One is always more concerned with one's own appearance than others are. Concealer works wonders and that's about all I can suggest. As Lynne said different people find different things attractive so don't worry about it!
Posts: 303 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, to get rid of my dark circles (more from sleeping problems then heridity) I used a yellow makeup crayon. Well, it looks like a lipstick but it's yellow, on the package it'll probably say concealor. The yellow balances otu the purple. They also make green for red (zits and stuff).

I've heard that preperation-H makes the puffiness go away. But I'm too chicken to go out and buy some myself and see. But if anyone wants to be a lab rat lemme know the results

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

This person is a natural product. The slight variations in color and texture enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never known anyone to have perfect skin. Even on the covers of magazines, people are "fixed"; blemishes are painted over and skin is blended with a computer. You should learn to live with your skin. It's gonna be attatched to you for the rest of your life, you might as well have a good relationship with it! If you're really concerned about it, though, maybe you're dermatologist has some suggestions. Good luck
Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrazyGirl
Activist
Member # 2648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrazyGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At times I know I'm too self critical, but I'm working on it.

One thing I hate though is makeup! My aunt ruined that for me. She piles on layer after layer of makeup, and her skin suffers from it. I don't want my face to end up looking like hers, so I never got into the whole make up thing. So... what exactly is concealor? Where do I get it, and how do I use it?

------------------
"Always shoot for the moon because even if you miss you'll land among the stars." -Unknown

Posts: 136 | From: City of Angels | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Concealer is flesh colored stuff (sometimes it's liquid, sometimes it's solid) for covering up blemishes. You get it at places that sell makeup -- if a store sells foundation (which is other flesh colored stuff) it'll sell concealer. You dab it on blemishes you want to cover up. For a zit, this means just putting it over the red area; for undereye circles it means dabbing and blending it over just the purple part. I've always found it easiest to use my finger, at least for the undereye circles. Be careful not to use way too much (and it might take you a few tries to figure out how much is way too much) because then it becomes obvious that you're wearing makeup, and it only draws more attention to the area under your eyes. If you take off your makeup at the end of the day, and especially if all you're wearing is concealer, it shouldn't mess up your skin.

------------------
To the rational mind there can be no offense, no obscenity, no blasphemy, but only information of greater or lesser value.
-- Jennifer Diane Reitz

Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have dark circles under my eyes too. they don't go away ever, but they diminish when i sleep. hehe, yet another reason to evade my homework

anyway...concealer tips...it helps to put it on and blend it with your ring fingers, because they exert the least pressure, and the last thing you want is to accidentally bruise that skin! it's very thin and delicate, so bruising can be a concern.

also if you're having trouble blending it, try a little bit of water, not enough to wash it off, just enough to thin it a bit around the edges.

finally, i highly recommend getting concealer that's NOT in a stick form. you can buy it, i think from clinique, maybe from other places too, in a little tube, and it's just like concentrated foundation. it's easier to blend.

em

------------------
Once in awhile you get shown the light
in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

-The Grateful Dead

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrazyGirl
Activist
Member # 2648

Have any of you had to deal with keratosis pilaris? I've had it since I was a kid, but never knew what it was until I saw a little q&a type article about it in a magazine. Appearantly I inherited it from my Mother. Anyway, I have always been to self conscious to wear a tank top or anything that made my arms visible. To the touch, it's starting to disappear, but I'm not sure how it looks. I can see this post doesn't really have a point to it, so I'll stop now.

Okay, okay, it did have a point. I wanted to try out the url thing. lol I'm not good with html or anything, but finally learned how to put a link with a word. So I was just playing I guess.

But, if you have any home remedies that help with this skin condition, please let me know!

------------------

CrazyGirl
Activist
Member # 2648

Whoops! In my attempt to try html, I forgot to thank you for your help on the concealor info! Thanks!

------------------

dette
Neophyte
Member # 3177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dette     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to make your dark circles go away, you should use a yellow concealer. Physician's Formula, Barbizon, and Maybelline have concealers like this...they lighten up your dark circles and make them disappear if you use it just right . I have keratosis too, on my arms, if it's those red bumps you're talking about ugh it sucks I've been putting lotion on it since I was 11 and it still hasn't left .
Posts: 7 | From: Hamilton, OH, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.