Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Any poets out their that want their poetry recited?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any poets out their that want their poetry recited?
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At my school there is a poetry recital competition annually. I have been chosen by my English teacher to be one of the representatives of my class. I have to learn a poem of atleast 20 lines long and recite in front of first the year group and the best in front of the whole school. Im allowed to read poetry from newhere as long as it is not my own work. So does anybody want their creative outpourings being recited to about 1500 kids and their teaches? Just not too controversial, I dont feel like rebelling against authority this time round.
Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
whoo, there's nothing like a good poetry slam. fortunately, i'm surrounded by loads of artists and writers, so I can always find a good reading to attend.

unfotunately, i don't write much, otherwise, i'd give ya something to read. but if you're up for a challenge, how about selections from The Epic of Gilgamesh?

------------------
Kill your TV! And while you're at it, your mobile phone, too.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well...if you really want to know...

my poetry is on my site here: http://ww.geocities.com/pixiechick0404/poems.html

I'm not saying that they're good...because they're not really. But if you get desperate you can check 'em out

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

This person is a natural product. The slight variations in color and texture enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Edited: because I forgot a w in www, oopsies!

[This message has been edited by Pixie69 (edited 03-11-2001).]

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank u, most appreciated.
Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have lots of poetry(duh, look at my username). Is a poem about sexual harrassment with a few curses in it too controversial?

------------------
Limes Are Sublime

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've written quite a bit of poetry. Some of it can be found at http://www.nbtsc.org/~julieclipse/library.html (Try Volume I, and especially Volume III. I love the Tides of Lost Delphinic Dreams collection, but not a one of them is 20 lines long. Volumes II and IV are pretty mediocre). There's nothing too controversial, and you can use it as long as you tell me about it. (:

[This message has been edited by Eclipse (edited 03-13-2001).]

Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Hmm.... i dont think the Headmaster would appreciate a poem of that nature Poet Girl. I think sex in general is probably something to steer clear of. Poems with a political message or more about life in general would be more likely to impress them.

Aha "Ignorant Fool" looks quite good from Pixie's website. Havent looked thoroughly thru everything yet tho.

[This message has been edited by Confused boy (edited 03-13-2001).]

Rio
Activist
Member # 2072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I write poetry. um if you are interested i can email you some.
-rio

Posts: 60 | From: near Indianapolis | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.