Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » I need a song!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I need a song!
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it's that time of the year again where the choir and drama kids get ready for the pops concert in May. Well me and this girl want to do a duet but we can't think of any songs. Wanna toss me some ideas.

Another thing my choir teacher wants me to do a solo too(:eek . I'm not to sure about what song to sing for that. I was thinking Etta James 'At Last.' But I don't know. I need something that'll be unforgetable.

------------------
To be a princess is to be an actress, but not necessarily a good one.
Don't dream your life, live your dream

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raviolichic
Neophyte
Member # 2118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raviolichic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It all depends on what kinds of music you're into and/or what your director would consider tolerable for the performance.

I sing as well, and am personally fond of Sarah McLachlan's "Full of Grace". It's one of those songs I can do a million times and still feel good about it.

For the duet, how about "Tell Him" by Celine Dion and Barbra Streisand? The two most talented girls at my school did that about three years ago, and it brought the house down.

I also like "Hands" by Jewel, "Who I Am" by Jessica Andrews, and "I Will Be" by Lila McCann. You can tell I'm into country.

Oh, and there's a beautiful soprano solo in "Carmina Burana" by Carl Orff (I hope that's his name). Maybe you're not a soprano, though?

Posts: 14 | From: Whitehall, PA, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ooh, ooh, ooh. Do "At Last." That is FANTASTIC. And it'll show range and versatility well, methinks...

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/.
"Is love like the sweet, bitter taste of marmalade on burnt toast?"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'at last' gives me chills. another good one for a singer-actress like you might be "With One Look" from Sunset Boulevard.

------------------
I have a hideous, hideous secret...
you see, when the full moon shines, I undergo terrifying changes... My skin gets hard and stiff... shingles grow on top of my head... I turn into... a house.

That's right... I'm a werehouse.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are your vocal ranges, Buff?
Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, I dunno. With twelve years of voice-teaching experience, two degrees in vocal performance, and doctoral work in musicology, maybe I could come up with *something* you might like. What's your range, chica, and what are some examples of pieces you've done in the past?

(And dear god, whoever suggested the "O Dulcissima" from Carmina Burana -- were you completely out of your mind? Gorgeous, yes, but a real butt-kicker, not something you wanna do unless you're really honestly at that concert-artist level. I've sat in rehearsal and watched major international opera singers butcher the thing. Trust me, it's a killer, even if you *are* a soprano. )

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bewteen the two of us, Hanne, that makes for about a good 30 years of vocal training. Maybe we chould charge her, eh?

:P

(And I concur on the Orff suggestion -- ouch. Orff music is really a very different thing than most music, and when it's done well, in my experience, it's done well by singers well-versed in Orff, which takes years.)

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raviolichic
Neophyte
Member # 2118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raviolichic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops. I seem to have made a boo boo with my Orff suggestion.

My performing group just started looking at "Carmina Burana" earlier this week. I thought the song was pretty the two times I've heard it, but didn't really think about how difficult it must be. My bad!

Posts: 14 | From: Whitehall, PA, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Ravio..want to hear sumptin' interesting? I sang in the actual Carmina Burana performances here in NY for a while. 'Course I was just part of the chorus, but it was very cool! Just thought it's funny that you mentioned it.

------------------
You should make amends with you if only for better health. But if you really want to live, why not try and Make Yourself?

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

So, while we're waiting to find out what you and your pal's general ranges are, a few thoughts popped into my head.
Sounds like you're not looking for classical pieces, but more contempoary ones.

That given, I can think of a few that likely have not been overdone worth thinking about.

"The Weakness in Me" by Joan Armatrading is a beautiful piece, and sounds fabulous with two voices harmonizing (and I think it was recently used in a teen film, but heck if I can think of which one).

"Walking on a Wire" by Linda and Richard Thompson was written as a duet, and is lovely.

"Ghost" by the Indigo Girls as well as "Love Will Come To You" are both very rich and fantastic two-part pieces.

If you want something jazzy and fun, the classic standard "Baby, It's Cold Outside" is a real gas to do.

One more very rare tune is a piece called "Lover's Lullabye" by Janis Ian written in 1975. She once did it as a duet with Phoebe Snow. Some of the harmonies are done in thirds, so it makes for a very unique sound.

Lastly, JhOhn Hiatt's "Crazy LIttle Thing Called Love" that Bonnie Raitt covered some years back was originally written as a duet, and it is very fun, funky and absolutely hilarious in parts.

And I think the Etta James piece is also a nice choice.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

exit seraphim
Activist
Member # 2566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for exit seraphim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miz Scarlet:

"The Weakness in Me" by Joan Armatrading is a beautiful piece, and sounds fabulous with two voices harmonizing (and I think it was recently used in a teen film, but heck if I can think of which one).

It's in, Ten Things I Hate About You with Larisa Oleynik, Julia Stiles, and Heath Ledger. It's basically Taming of the Shrew, but in the late 90's. I was watching it the other day and i really loved that song (without knowing it was that song) and i went for a search to get the lyrics...funny you mention it....but it definately is beautiful.

-justine

------------------
have i been wrong?
have i been wise?
to shut my eyes and play along?

Posts: 142 | From: H*Ton, NY | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're both altos, but I can sing 2nd soprano too. We're thinking about "Tell Him" by Celine Dion and Barbra Streisand, but I'm more of a pop and r&b girl. So really anything will be helpful.

I was singing "At Last" last night and I think it's a keeper. I hope my choir teacher likes it.

------------------

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Ah, thank you, Justine. That was a cute movie, by the way.

And it is a lovely song. I like to do a rendition with jazz improvised piano.

And Joan Armatrading is often seriously underrated. if you like her, I'd also reccomend listening to Jane Siberry if you don't already. "When I Was a Boy" is one of the most beautiful albums ever done, IMO.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if I were going to do a solo I would probably do "from a distance" by bette midler or "angel" by sarah mclachlan. My friend Josh did "thank you for giving to the lord" at a choir concert last year, and he got a standing ovation. And for a duet, two of my girl friends sang "the rose" by bette midler and "bridge over troubled water" while playing the piano together. All of those songs can be very memorable if you do a good job. I guess it all depends what kind of music you're into, though.

------------------
*^Lucky^*
Come check out what's goin on in Lucky's mind!
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

I've thought of some more songs for my solo, Whitney Houston's 'Run To You' or 'I Have Nothing'. Oh what to choose, what to choose.

------------------

~KandyKiss69~
Activist
Member # 3052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~KandyKiss69~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Lucky1402, some friends of mine did a mime to that song... Heh... Well... I like the song "For You I Will" by Monica, but I dont know anything really about singing!

------------------
Shine, make em wonder whatcha got!-Newsboys
(((Kristine)))

Posts: 66 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brdwychic00
Neophyte
Member # 2682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brdwychic00     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FOR YOUR DUET:
if you like broadway try...
in his eyes (from jekyll & hyde)
I know him so well (from Chess)
these are both kinda like pop ballads
or if you like jazz try...
ain't misbehavin
i've got the world on a string
L-O-V-E
there's way more options for m/f duets
and
FOR YOUR SOLO:
as far as unforgettable music goes, i'd say you pinned it right on the spot if you can pull off At Last. That's the best song ever!
otherwise try....
someone like you (from jekyll & hyde)
unchained melody (leann rimes version)
right kind of wrong (from coyote ugly)
any man of mine (shania twain)
remember me this way (from Casper the movie *i love this one*)

I know how nerve racking this decision is for you, so good luck. Whatever you pick will be great!!

Posts: 19 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.