Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » I just wanna dance!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I just wanna dance!!
CrazyGirl
Activist
Member # 2648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrazyGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just another post from your neighborhood CrazyGirl

I have wanted to dance (ballet) for as long as I can remember. When I was a 'lil CrazyGirl, I took a couple of classes, but due to financial situations, locations, timing and life in general, I had to quit. But I kept dancing in my heart. Then we moved. To make a long story short, depression, bad body image, lot's of verbal abuse from my peers etc, took place. When I would share my dreams and passion for dance with my peers and so-called-friends, they would tell me that I was fat, stupid, ugly and worthless, and that I would only bring ugly-ness to dance. And, unfortunately, I believed them, because they were my "friends" and only trying to help me. (I was sooo friggin naive and stupid for believing them.)

Now, several years after this took place, I know I don't have the "perfect body", and especially for ballet... but I don't care! I am going to dance! So what if it's too late to turn pro and dance for a company - I'm going to dance for myself now and dance because it makes ME happy! Since I'm just beginning again, it'll be a while before I can go on pointe, but I'm going to work hard, because pointe is what I want to do. On average, you need about 3 classes a week for 2-3 years (with lot's of improvement and no injuries) to dance on pointe. So, hopefully, in 2-3 years you'll see a post from me saying "Goodbye sandal worthy toes... hello lifelong dream"

~CrazyGirl

------------------
"Always shoot for the moon because even if you miss you'll land among the stars." -Unknown

Posts: 136 | From: City of Angels | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yay dance!

i did ballet for yearsandyears...like from when i was around 4 until 7th grade. i was on pointe for a year, and then i quit. i was also in the boston ballet nutcracker twice...i didn't have any important parts, but its still a great experience to be on such a big stage.

i love ballet.

i think in some ways, though, it's better that you're dancing for yourself, now, than if you had started before and just kept going even if you didn't really like it. i have a friend who dances for like 3 hours, 6 days a week, and she doesn't even really like it anymore - she just does it because of the momentum of all those years, really, because it's a responsibility and whatnot.

i think it's really great that you had the chance to think about it for yourself and to do it because you really want to, and not to get stuck.

em

------------------
Love is a word that is constantly heard
Hate is a word that is not.
Love, I am told, is more precious than gold.
Love, I have read, is hot.
But hate is the verb that to me is superb,
And love but a drug on the mart.
Any kiddie in school can love like a fool,
But hating, my boy, is an art.
-Ogden Nash

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crazy Girl, I know exactly what you mean. When you find something you love you want it. For me it's just torture because I don't think I really will be able to be a dancer. I'm a late starter too (well...sorta). Anyways, if you ever have any dacne questions I'm here

Oh yeah, gotta plug www.balletalert.com, they have an awesome message board system, especially for "Young Dancers", it's moderated by two former ABT principle dancers. It's mostly ballet but check it out.

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

This person is a natural product. The slight variations in color and texture enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OH yeah, I totally know what you mean by pointe. Sigh, it's like, hey you're a real dancer now. I'm going to buy used pointe shoes to decorate my walls with okay i'm done now, i promise

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

This person is a natural product. The slight variations in color and texture enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's great! It's good that you're going after your dream. I've always wanted to be in dance, but I'm not very coordinated. I've taught myself some tango and swing, but not the kind that you're talking about. It sounds like alot of fun- I'm sure you'll do well. Just keep at it as long as it makes you happy.

------------------
*^Lucky^*
Come check out what's goin on in Lucky's mind!
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surferChicka
Activist
Member # 2232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surferChicka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey gurl! congrats! dancing reaLLy should be only 4 yourself. i dance tOO. i've bEEn doing it practicaLLy since i could walk. it's bEEn about 11 years now. and i stiLL love it! even after aLL these years, i dont have the perfect dancer's body. i have no turnout, my arms are hyperextended and i have bad fEEt. so "unperfect" dancers rock on!!

have fun gurl!

------------------
peace, love, & seXwax!

Posts: 117 | From: Honolulu, HI | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrazyGirl
Activist
Member # 2648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrazyGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So call me a newbie (cuz that's what I am anyway) but... could you explain hyperextention to me please?

BTW, we're moving over the summer, so I got in contact with a studio where we will live. I have an appointment with them and it looks like they'll accept me. This is really happening!!

------------------
"Always shoot for the moon because even if you miss you'll land among the stars." -Unknown

Posts: 136 | From: City of Angels | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Girl I am so happy for you! Your like me but only mines singing.

In middle school when I tried out for all city choir, I was the only one in my school who didn't make it. What did I do? I stopped singing. I thought I had a awful voice, even though eveyone said I could sing.

Now I'm in highschool and all I wanna do is sing! Even though I didn't make it for the musical, I'm not going to let that stop me. It has made me stronger in every way possiable.

So sweetie, if you don't make it, keep going! Don't let one person tell you no. Prove to them you are the best!

~Break a leg!!~

------------------
To be a princess is to be an actress, but not necessarily a good one.
Don't dream your life, live your dream

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrazyGirl
Activist
Member # 2648

quote:
Originally posted by Pixie69:

By the way... I absolutely love your sig Pixie!! With your permission... may I use it as my own signature on another site that I go to? If that's fine by you, just tell me to whom I give credit. Thanks

------------------

Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Hyper extension is when you stand up with your legs relaxed, they bend back a little bit, instead of being straight.

Crazygirl, you may certainly use my sig. I have no idea who to credit it to, a friend wrote that to me in a note, and she got it somewhere off the net *shrugs* just one of those unknown quotes I guess

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.