Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » broken finger :(

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: broken finger :(
Joryuu
Neophyte
Member # 2329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joryuu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh! I broke my left hand index finger today! Which is especially bad for me... considering that I'm left handed. Now, I have this big splint on it that won't be coming off for a month.

I'm really mad, 'cos I can't do most of my normal things: play piano, play guitar, write, etc. I was having so much trouble taking notes in a lecture today

Does anyone have any suggestions of things I can do to help myself better survive this time of agony? (hehe)

------------------
-zarah.
karma police, arrest this girl

Posts: 19 | From: in between the moon & you | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awwww that sux Im sorry.

I remember when I broke my right arm (the one I write with) 2 days before the cheerleading compition. I was a flyer and I did the stunt I was supposed to do in the competition 85724389 times, and one day a girl just lost her balanced and dropped me and I broke my arm. I couldnt compete and I couldnt even go see them compete. I was sooo sad.

You never realize how lucky you are until you break something or something goes wrong.
I guess just like everyone, you will have to bear with it for awhile, and once you get back to it you will be soooo happy.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get cracking on all those books you never had time to read.

Rent your fave movies and get your dad or mum to pop it in the vcr.

Go somewhere quiet for a suntan. Again, with a good book.

Eat. Alot. Psst...Chocolate

Come on Scarleteen and read all the interesting posts. And if our darling Miz Scarlet can type with only 8 fingers, you can do it with 9.

Sorry to hear about the broken finger hon. And I hope you feel better very soon.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sourgirl1986
Activist
Member # 2795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sourgirl1986     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Break out all your favorite CD's, and sing like there is no tomorrow, lol... That's what I do when something goes wrong.. try it, it will take your mind off of things.

------------------
~*Sourgirl*~

"I cry out to God seeking only his decison, Gabriel stands and confirms I've created my own prison."-Scott Stapp (Creed), from the song "My Own Prison"

"What if your words could be judged like a crime?"-Scott Stapp (Creed), from the song "What If"

Posts: 43 | From: OK USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my friend broke her finger last week. she wasn't really impaired and refused to let anyone else write for her. so... i guess it wasn't that bad. but my other friend had to get wrist surgery (and had a cast) with her dominant hand...and a month later- she's AMBITEXTROUS!

------------------
"it's like being hit in the head repeatedly with a sock full of quarter's" ~~Daria~~

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Omg ... lilnerd ... when i read your post i thought you were talking about YOUR finger in third person LOL "she wasn't really impaired and refused to let anyone else write for her." Oh dear ... too much cold medicine for the Smurf ...

Anyway, i broke my pinky finger playing bball once. It majorly sucked. I went to the emerg. room b/c it really really hurt and they put it in one of those finger splint thingys. Then i REALLY couldn't do anything w/ it. Man ... what a pain in the a** that was! You should catch up on your reading or something ... Watch lots and lots of TV, it passes the time

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With your lecture notes- I know my university has a scheme where you can get someone else to take lecture notes for you if you have a temporary (or permanent, though that doesn't apply to you) disability. It might be worth asking about. You might also want to find out if your lectures are taped. If they are, you can just attend the lecture, and then when your hand is better, borrow the tapes and make the notes.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hehehehe... that's too funny smurfy!

------------------
You should make amends with you if only for better health. But if you really want to live, why not try and Make Yourself?

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
joryuu, i know the feeling. this reply is being pecked out slowly with many errors 'cause i am left typing with one finger.

as some of you know, last week, i fell off my razor scooter. my physics TA found me lying on the ground, bleeding, and moaning, "ow ow ow ow..." my left hand would not move or bend. i could not get up. ppl had to lift me off the ground. but i could stand. nothing was wrong with my legs. they took me to uni. health services where they xray'd and cleaned me up. nothing broken. but painful nonetheless. and i'm healing nicely. should be aok in a few days.

till then, i can't wash my hair, do my dishes, or lift heavy objects. taking notes doesn't hurt anymore. and i get by with generous help from my ever-patient boyfriend. yes, i'm frustrated, but it'll pass. bones mend. skin heals.

------------------
Kill your TV! And while you're at it, your mobile phone, too.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and then again, sometimes the body DOESN'T heal from injury, and that's okay, too.

LOTS of people (including myself) live with permanent disbilities from injuries and we work through it. You'd be amazed to discover how people can adapt and how you can find new ways to do things you never thought of before.

When I first hurt my hand, they couldn't get the surgery right to make my hand even functional for a solid year (and I grew up playing piano as well), and I managed to do most of the things I could before with just one hand. With only eight functional fingers, I find I do more with them in a day than most people do with then. And one of the most amazing, motivated and capable people I ever knew in my life was I man I knew growing up named Tom who was paralyzed from the neck down.

So, count your blessings, and look at what you're capable of, rather than what you aren't. You'll find it's a great way to go through life whether you're injured, disabled or not.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.