Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Update on my lumps (the ones in my neck)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Update on my lumps (the ones in my neck)
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshleyInABottle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yesterday was my doctor's appointment to check up on my lumps (remember Miz S.?). They gave me the tuberculosis skin test (so far it looks pretty good), and today I got a chest x-ray done and a blood test done. I'm *very very* sick at the moment, so they tested me for strep throat (cuz of my severe sore throat), which would also have explained my swollen lymph nodes..but the test came out negative. They did a blood test because they want to test me for mono (augh if I have that again I will pull my hair out). Anyway, the doctor didn't seem concerned about my lumps, she just told me "people are very lumpy" (lol), and that she would just have me get a chest x-ray just to make me feel better. So, there's my update.

I have 1 question though..before they took my blood for the blood test, they had me give them a urine sample..what do they do that for?

I'll post again and tell everyone about how my x-ray came out.

------------------
"I do what my rice krispies tell me to do"

Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Urine test was probably just an extra measure, another way to test for something. What, I don't know. If you'd like to know, just call your doctor up and ask. I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

I had to get a T.B. test last year when I started working at the hospital. I hated it, and I had to get it twice, because the first time I had a reaction! But the second time I was fine, no T.B. for me!

------------------
Bad Cats!!

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps there is stuff they can test for in urine that they can't find in your blood? or perhaps a test is more accurate in your urine? I really don't know, if you're really curious just call up your doctor and ask (the secretary can probably actually tell you). Haha, that's great, people are lumpy and don't you forget it! Glad to hear everything went well.

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

This person is a natural product. The slight variations in color and texture enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why, oh why, must we pee in a cup?

It's simple. There ARE some things they can find in urine that they can't find in blood. That's what i was told last time i had testing done. It was kinda weird, b/c they kept asking me if i was on drugs b/c they found something in my urine ... but not in my blood. How odd ...

Anyway, yes, you will have to pee in a cup for a various number of reasons. I don't know exactly why they would've done it for you, but that's probably something you should run by your doctor ... only he can tell you what his intentions are

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
they can test of sugar and protein in your urine, both of which are bad things to have in there. it can be a sign of diabetes of kidney dysfunction.

------------------
Kill your TV! And while you're at it, your mobile phone, too.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Urgh, I had to take medicine for suspected TB for 2 months.

Which made me fat and bloated.

But I'm all clear now.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshleyInABottle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guess what everyone...I got the results back from my x-ray and my test. My x-ray was clear, no masses or anything. But..my blood test showed that I have mono again!! I was pretty upset when I found out (I wouldn't wish mono on my worst enemy)..but at least I'm okay with the x-ray and tb test.

------------------
"I do what my rice krispies tell me to do"

Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well congrats on your tests coming back ok!

And I know what you mean about hating mono...it's nasty stuff when you can't seem to get rid of it!

*big hug* Feel better sweetie!

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"Reality is nothing but a collective hunch."
~Lily Tomlin

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrazyGirl
Activist
Member # 2648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrazyGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ummm.... mono?

------------------
"Always shoot for the moon because even if you miss you'll land among the stars." -Unknown

Posts: 136 | From: City of Angels | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mono is short for mononucleosis. It's sometimes known as the "kissing disease" because it is spread from person to person, usually through saliva. It is caused by the Epsien-Barr Virus. This is all according to: http://www.healthanswers.com/centers/disease/overview.asp?id=blood+disorders&filename=337.htm

You can read up more about it there, if you want.

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

This person is a natural product. The slight variations in color and texture enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about the mono. I wish you good healing.

Your doctor's comment about lumpy people reminded me of the last time I went to the gyno. After the breast exam part she informed me that I had "lumpy bumpy breasts--but all the lumps are normal." Great, what a description.

At least my partner had the grace (or the wisdom!) to say that he didn't think they were lumpy.

------------------
And I've got no illusions about you.
Guess what? I never did.
When I said, when I said, "I'll take it."
I meant, I meant As Is.
--Ani DiFranco, "As Is"

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CrazyGirl
Activist
Member # 2648

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CrazyGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Pixie69

------------------
"Always shoot for the moon because even if you miss you'll land among the stars." -Unknown

Posts: 136 | From: City of Angels | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People are lumpy, life is "lumpy"! Sorry flashback from a play we just did, I'll be quite now....
Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.