Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Religion

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Religion
twinkletoze
Neophyte
Member # 2811

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twinkletoze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this topic is not in connection with sex or reltionships between two ppl..ie couples.

its rather to express my disgust at som eof the ppl in socitey today.
i am a Hindu and Hinduism is a relgion which contains many rituals adn idols.the idols or murtis as they are called are nto themselves wroshipped but are there to assist in meditation.recently in my country a releigious leader went on tv stating that hinduism is not a real religion as it involves the wroshipping of idols....which it is not!!!but even if it did involve worshippin go fidols then so what???

now my vent is as to why do certain ppl assume that there is only one path to god?why do they (namely the head of certain religious denominations some hinu priests included) assume that if u do not follow their religion u will ultimatley end up in hell?
i tis my beleif that if u live a life wehre u tryto be a good person then u will attain whatever there is attain in the hereafter.
and this is irregardless of wheter u are christian hindu muslim or even atheist.
religion is ofcourse manmade and not beleiveing in god does not makeu a bad person.

anyways what do u guys think?do u think that there is only one way of becoming a truly good person?ie by following exactly to the letter waht religion X Y or Z states?
or does it involve beign tru to your heart adn doing wwhat u beleive is right
and beleiveign in it with all your mind and heart?

------------------
smile:)
its the second best thing u can do with your lips

Posts: 29 | From: somehwere in the caribbean..arent u jealous?:) | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I for one simply cannot believe in a divine being who would create such a diverse group of creatures as we have on this world (let alone the rest of the universe) and then decide that there is only one path to salvation, whatever that may be.

So basically, I suppose I believe that how a person behaves towards the world and others around them is far more important that the particular religious rituals, if any, to which they subscribe.

For example, I have known plenty of people who call themselves Christians, wear crosses prominently, etc., who behave in a way that the Biblical Jesus probably would have condemned as hypocrital at the very least. I just can't buy it that those folks have a better chance at heaven than some of the wonderful and kind pagans, jews, agnostics, and even athiests I have known.

------------------
And I've got no illusions about you.
Guess what? I never did.
When I said, when I said, "I'll take it."
I meant, I meant As Is.
--Ani DiFranco, "As Is"

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mom and I were discussing this yesterday. I was talking to her about how I don't believe that if there is a god, he/she/it would punish us for not following the Bible, not believing in God, being homosexual, or not folloing whatever religious practices a certain religion tells us to follow. I also don't see how people with religions other then that of the majority are going to hell becasue they don't follow the "correct" religion. If there is a god, he/she/it put a variety of different people with a variety of beliefs on this Earth, so why would God punish us for being ourselves and believing what we do? If there is a heaven, I believe we would get into it by following our hearts and what we believe is right. I don't think, by any means, one is granted the right of eternal happiness or life for simply believing in X,Y, and Z. Or CLAIMING that he/she believes in X,Y, and Z. I believe that people should follow their hearts and do what is right for them as long as it's not hurting someone else (for example, a religious belief of murdering a person before one is to become an adult... I just made that up).

I'm sorry if I've come off a bit strong in this post, but this is a touchy subject for me, and a lot of other people for that matter. But I think it's wonderful to be talking about it

Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*sigh* some people in the world simply will never understand. that's too bad.

I'm pretty passive in dealing with things like that, but i just understand that they are making a mistake, and hope someday, they'll realize it. Till then, I'll make my positive contribution to the world so that they can eat their words.

------------------
Kill your TV! And while you're at it, your mobile phone, too.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One religion that I ALMOST liked is Baha'i ism. Their whole belief is that there is only one religion. That all the people who follow Jesus' teachings, Buddah's, Mohammad's or whoever are just following a PART of that religion. And that "god" sent these "messengers" when people were ready for them, except some people didn't realize it's all a part of this whole bigger picture and just followed their one person. I just thought that was an interesting concept. If there is a God i don't think that s/he/it would send people to hell for following a different religion. But that's why I don't get involved with religion

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

This person is a natural product. The slight variations in color and texture enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sourgirl1986
Activist
Member # 2795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sourgirl1986     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I believe in my God, Jesus Christ... b/c that's how I was brought up to believe in, as well as worship him. But, people should respect each other's differences... b/c that makes a person unique. And that's a beautiful thing!!!

------------------
~*Sourgirl*~

"I cry out to God seeking only his decison, Gabriel stands and confirms I've created my own prison."-Scott Stapp (Creed), from the song "My Own Prison"

"What if your words could be judged like a crime?"-Scott Stapp (Creed), from the song "What If"

Posts: 43 | From: OK USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.