Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Toe Socks and Hair Static

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Toe Socks and Hair Static
Ella
Activist
Member # 1168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I know that was a really wierd topic line, but I had two things on my mind and neither seemed important enough to stand on its own so I thought I'd combine them. THey have no relation to eachother, except they both came up today.

First: Toe Socks

Do you like them and if so, why or why not? I was putting them on today and I'm never sure if I like them or what. I love the fact that they have stripy patterns, and they're interesting socks, there aren't that many interessting socks out there.

Second: Hair Static

Occasionally it gets really dry and my hair gets really staticky(I have no idea if that's a word, or how to spell it). I've got Static Guard for my clothes, but what stops hair from clinging to things, like my face or my hairbrush? I was thinking gel maybe, or perhaps more conditioner? I have no clue.

As you all can probably tell I'm a little scattered today , answer one, or another of these if you want Thanks

Posts: 303 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~You*Know*Who~
Activist
Member # 1412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~You*Know*Who~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you spray the static guard on your hairbrush and then brush your hair with your hair brush (what else would you do with it??? Oy) your hair will no longer be staticy.

And I do like the toe socks, very cool.

Posts: 252 | From: somwhere, usa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i don't like toe socks. i like my plain white cotton gym socks.

for static, i use water and a micro amount of conditioner.

------------------
Kill your TV! And while you're at it, your mobile phone, too.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Toe socks are fun . It's a pain in the butt to put them back on after gym class, though.

I haven't had any real static problems since I started using a leave in conditioner, and a regular rinse out conditioner on top of that. But if you have oily hair, 2 conditioners probably isn't a good idea. Or why not cut it all off !?

------------------
Bad Cats!!

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Toe socks kick butt.

Plus, they make me feel very nostalgic, since they first came into vogue in my childhood. PLUS, my toes always feel cramped together and I hate that feeling, and toe socks helt to separate them. I've very happy they're making them again -- my only resource for them before the last couple years were thrift stores, and I generally draw the line at buying used socks.

In terms of hair static, some people who have bad troubles with it simply rub a dryer sheet over their hair, which actually works really well. Or could could just forget about it, and keep balloons in your pocket so that you can have a great party trick on hand.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Toe socks: They're stripy, they're often knee-length, and they're the only kind I'll wear around the house. That sounds weird, but it's just because I find I get better grip in them, and my usual fear of slipping on smooth surfaces is gone. They don't fit too well in some shoes, but my hiking boots are a size too big, so that's okay. But they are NOT a good idea for hockey games; you're feet'll chill much too fast.

Hair static: I have incredibly dry skin and hair, so I keep hand lotion with me at all times, and after putting it on my hands, run them through my hair. And I slide my hands under my hair after washing them, before the blow-dryer, which helps against static, and dries them faster. I have to avoid my b'loved retro polyester, sadly enough.

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate toe socks w/ a passion!! I just feel weird. My toes usually touch each other and that way i know they're all there. I don't know how else to explain it ... hehe Everyone's present and accounted for!

As for static ... my hairs short, so i don't care all that much

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Smurfit.

I love my toe socks. LOVE 'em. I wish I could wear them all the time...this may sound weird, but they kinda make my toes feel MORE free, 'cause they aren't all lumped together. I do get better traction with 'em, too. They're just fun. And I love the stripes.

Static: Gel. Believe it or not, the dryer sheet thing works, too. Or you can always just move to Houston or New Orleans or Miami. ;]

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/.
"Is love like the sweet, bitter taste of marmalade on burnt toast?"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dryer sheet? before or after drying (the sheet i mean)? i probably sound like i've bene riding the short bus, but really, i tried using a new sheet and it only made my hair sticky and waxy.

------------------
Kill your TV! And while you're at it, your mobile phone, too.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, I have to confess that I'm not a huge fan of toe socks either. They make my feet feel kinda itchy. And I'll have to agree with Smurf about making sure all the toes are present, accounted for, and in perfect working order.

And as far as static...I find that making sure my brush is cleaned out helps imensely! I get way more static if there's hair in the brush still, but if it's good and clean, that seems to help for me.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"Reality is nothing but a collective hunch."
~Lily Tomlin

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DancingSunshine
Neophyte
Member # 2893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DancingSunshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Toe Socks: LOVE THEM!!! They're my favorite kind of socks, and I just started being able to wear them again. I had really icky warts between my toes for like a year, so, obviously, I couldn't wear toe socks. But they're back and better than ever!

Hair Static: I have to confess I don't get it much. When I do though, it's always because I was just brushing it. So I throw it in a ponytail and forget (my remedy for ALL hair problems lol).

------------------
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music!

Posts: 32 | From: Shoebox | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlirtieGirlie
Activist
Member # 2510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlirtieGirlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like toe socks, I get this weird feeling when my toes are all touching and I like them to be separate. (I know, it's really weird)

I have kinda staticy hair when I blow it straight (it's naturally curly, boo) and I take a little leave in conditioner after i blow it dry and rub it on the top layer of my hair. It seems to work for me!

------------------
Kids in the backseat cause accidents. Accidents in the backseats cause kids! (So be careful!) Luvs to Jeremy! Email me at Ladybug705@yahoo.com

Posts: 141 | From: The Bolton Ghetto, Mass. :-) | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joryuu
Neophyte
Member # 2329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joryuu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Toe socks: I looove them I wear them whenever I wear my Doc maryjanes, and I think they're pretty comfortable. Word of advice, however: Never wear them snowboarding. You will regret this

Hair Static: I have no idea why, but it's a problem I've never really had (?).

------------------
-zarah.
karma police, arrest this girl

Posts: 19 | From: in between the moon & you | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.