Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Calling all nurses!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Calling all nurses!
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's that time of year again ...

Picking courses for next year!! I'm currently taking gr 12 english, gr 11 math, soc/psych and biology. Next year i plan to take co op (one full semester), and after that ... I'm so lost. I need to know if i need physics or not, and i keep forgetting to ask my guidance councellor

I'm just wondering if there's any nurses (or nursing students) who could tell me what i will need for prerequisites and maybe their road to nursing school ...

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm not a nursing student, so I really can't tell you...but chances are you should go ahead and take physics anyway. Calculus would probably be a good idea too. It probably depends on what kind of nurse you plan on being too...are you going to be an RN, or an LPN? And also what kind of college you plan on going to...although I don't know how much of that applies where you live. If you forget to ask, another easy way to get an answer is to check out the websites of colleges that you may consider attending...usually they will have lists of prerequisites for their programs.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"Reality is nothing but a collective hunch."
~Lily Tomlin

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I plan to be an RN, but specialize in obstetrics/neonatal. So that's at least four years right there and another two to specialize.

I've looked at a few websites of the universities i want to go to, but they aren't really much help

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, well I dunno for sure...but it wouldn't hurt to take physics and calculus and that stuff. Whether or not it's required, it's good stuff to have.
Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
exit seraphim
Activist
Member # 2566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for exit seraphim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my mom and dad are both nurses (met at school) i'll ask em tomorrow and post again.

my mom's the associate director of nursing at an non-for-profit organization helping the mentally retarded/developmentally disabled. they have many group homes out where i live.

and my dad is a director of nursing at a long-term healthcare center.

yup yup.

-justine

------------------
have i been wrong?
have i been wise?
to shut my eyes and play along?

Posts: 142 | From: H*Ton, NY | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Thx for your replies guys

I went to the website at Queens University (the one i plan to go to, in Kingston Ont) and it says i need OAC math, bio, chem and english. It doesn't specify what math though (there are three; finite, algebra/geometry and calculus) ... Did i mention that i hate picking courses?!

Ella
Activist
Member # 1168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the university websites have an email address, why don't you email Queens and ask if they have a preference. If I had to choose I'd take Calculus, because I hate Geometry and Finite, far from being the bird course that some people say it is, is actually quite difficult. It's all word problems.

Here's a quick outline, I took Finite and Calculus, I didn't take Al/Geo though.

Finite: Word Problems on things like probablility, statistics, etc.

Calculus: More traditionally "Math" based problems. Curve Sketching, various manipulations of formulae.

Anyway that's my basic outline of what those courses were like, but honestly phone or email the school and they'll give you a better idea of what they're looking for. Good Luck

Posts: 303 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my rule of thumb has always been not to skimp on the more challenging courses. okay, so i bailed out of Spanish early, but the requirementwas 2 years, and i had 3, and 4th year at my HS was a notorious waste of time.

anyway, calc and physics will help you. i'd have to say take as many math and science classes as possible.

my sis is in nursing school. she's doing well 'cause she's always taken a very science intensive curriculum.

------------------
Kill your TV! And while you're at it, your mobile phone, too.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.