Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » POLL: What is your Nickname origin? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: POLL: What is your Nickname origin?
Dzuunmod
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dzuunmod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my nickname comes from the name of a town in Mongolia, near the capital, Ulaanbataar. I was trying to come up with a nickname that don't use at any other place on the Internet, and I was flipping through an atlas... it just worked, I thought.
Posts: 1515 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VidzMyBiz
Neophyte
Member # 2023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VidzMyBiz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, mine's pretty self-explanitory. I'm a tv news photographer.
Posts: 12 | From: Kentucky, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshleyInABottle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my name is Ashley..and I'm a big fan of Christina Aguilera (& her song "Genie In A Bottle"), so..there ya have it.. "AshleyInABottle"

------------------
"I do what my rice krispies tell me to do"

Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm, I really like pixies, they're cute and beuatiful and stuff. And 69, well other than a sex act it was my dance team tryout number 3 years in a row (what a coincidence?! I made the team all three years by the way). And I wanted something different from the name I use everywhere else (seriously, I have the same name for AIM, chickclick, and a few other boards) so I just came up with that.

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

This person is a natural product. The slight variations in color and texture enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dzuunmod:
Well, my nickname comes from the name of a town in Mongolia, near the capital, Ulaanbataar. I was trying to come up with a nickname that don't use at any other place on the Internet, and I was flipping through an atlas... it just worked, I thought.

I did something similar.. since I also use the names Honeylaser (for the msg boards on snopes.com) and Polystyrene Love Puppet (for MissGirl.com).. when you put them in a search engine, such as Google, you can track me all over the internet No-one else uses them as far as I know

entropie/honeylaser/polystyrene love puppet

------------------
Scarleteen Advocate, not to be confused with Advocaat

I have yet to meet a C compiler that is more friendly and easier to use than eating soup with a knife.

The three most dangerous things are a programmer with a soldering iron, a manager who codes, and a user who gets ideas.

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarryRedhead
Activist
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarryRedhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think mine is pretty self explanatory. Everyone calls me "the redhead" (because I have red hair, obviously) so I get used to that nickname, and I just decided to throw starry in front of it because I had just bought a huge bag of glow in the dark stars to stick on my wall. So I am a starry redhead.

------------------
}{*Starry Ali*}{
"You just close your eyes slowly like you're waiting for a kiss, and hope some lowly little power will pull you out of this..."

[edited because I left out an entire sentance...I need more sleep!]

[This message has been edited by StarryRedhead (edited 02-28-2001).]

Posts: 367 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*evil*vampiress*
Neophyte
Member # 696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *evil*vampiress*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh my goth!!!! lol all i have to say is yay@ goths!
(im a goth aswell yay)
*is very hyper at this moment*

oh and for my nickname...hmmm i was a vampire for halloween in grade 6 , and then i guess i never turned back! so it stuck ..and apparently im evil ...but im really not....i swear lol

------------------
kiss and kill me sweetly...

Posts: 36 | From: ontario, canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow, i didn't notice this topic before, and i have a really good story i think.

ok, do any of you guys remember prodigy classic? it was the original online service, like a primitive AOL. it's gone now; they shut it down a few years ago. anyway, for a few years i used to post on the "teen talk" bulletin board there (they had a whole system of bulletin boards that was probably more popular than chat). it was a pretty tight bunch; i'm still in touch, like 3 years later, with some of my friends from there. anyway, one of the first people i met was a girl named siri, and she though up "emsily" - she thought it suited me.

and the "0" is because one of my ex-boyfriends pointed out to me that it's a good number to add to the end of a screen name.

em

------------------
Love is a word that is constantly heard
Hate is a word that is not.
Love, I am told, is more precious than gold.
Love, I have read, is hot.
But hate is the verb that to me is superb,
And love but a drug on the mart.
Any kiddie in school can love like a fool,
But hating, my boy, is an art.
-Ogden Nash

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joryuu
Neophyte
Member # 2329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joryuu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Japanese (I live in the states, tho..), and 'Joryuu' is a rough translation of "female writer"... since my main hobbies are writing music & novellas, I thought it fit

------------------
-zarah.
karma police, arrest this girl

Posts: 19 | From: in between the moon & you | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joryuu
Neophyte
Member # 2329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joryuu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm Japanese (I live in the states, tho..), and 'Joryuu' is a rough translation of "female writer"... since my main hobbies are writing music & novellas, I thought it fit

------------------
-zarah.

Posts: 19 | From: in between the moon & you | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Em, whoa girly, that was a quadruple post you made. I used my superpowers to delete the other 3. [blows on her smoking-mouse-clicking finger]

How did I get my name? I really don't remember but I think it happened when my cousin and I were on AIM. I was probably telling her about something stupid I did. She says, "You're not a very smart cookie." Then I say, "Nope, I'm one slow cookie." Or at least that's how I think it went. The name coulf have come to me in a dream for all I know. I wish I had a good story to go with it.

------------------
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joryuu
Neophyte
Member # 2329

Wow... I'm sorry 'bout that

My computer + my AOL= not a good posting environment...

------------------
-zarah.

lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend's online alias DID come to him in a dream, SlowCookie.

I've always been jealous of that.

Then again, he's a lucid dreamer, and I've always been jealous of *that*, too.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/.
"Is love like the sweet, bitter taste of marmalade on burnt toast?"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~KandyKiss69~
Activist
Member # 3052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~KandyKiss69~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I was eating Hershey Kisses. Why I spelt it KandyKiss, is because my name starts with a K.... The 69 is just there for decoration.

------------------
Shine, make em wonder whatcha got!-Newsboys
(((Kristine)))

Posts: 66 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XoXoGrl8
Activist
Member # 2834

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XoXoGrl8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well... My username on this board really has nothing to do with what people call me in real life.

The username was made up by a friend because she says I'm such a "Grl" always giving people hugs and kisses ("XoXo") but nobody calls me that (it would sound dum).

My real nickname is Ashler. My name is Ashli and my best friend had a weird obsession one day and added -er to every word. Somehow, my name stuck.

------------------
-Ashli-

"Treat me like an angel and you'll go to heaven."

Posts: 132 | From: New Jersey...US | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WhiteKnee
Neophyte
Member # 2205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WhiteKnee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, knowing my name is Whitney will help this make more sense. Around October, my friend decided I needed a decent nickname that she could actually call me at school, without having to be embarrassed at the silliness of our inside jokes. Whitney also means White, and the knee thing, well that's a little weirder. ((it's a cutdown, referring to the incident which occured October 14, 2000)) A little something having to do with the blood rushing out of my knees because I'm *eeek* on them too much. It's all in jest, though

------------------
OH TODD!

Posts: 19 | From: Olive Branch, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momma cat
Activist
Member # 363

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momma cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've read that when you adopt pets they think of you as their parent, so that would make me the momma cat! My precious little kitty baby is named Clover, and I miss his dear, tubby little bottom so much!

God, that was disgusting, somebody shoot me

Posts: 155 | From: WA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rambler
Activist
Member # 3023

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rambler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This thread made me all nostalgic! My name came from a mailing list which I was on which I had been thinking of rejoining and now I will be 'cause this thread made me all nostalgic. Okay, I'm lame.

Anyway, my nickname came about because I write really long posts, and was especially doing so on this mailing list in question, so I kept apologizing and saying how much I rambled. Finally the creator of the list basically said, "That's okay, you're our little rambler." And well, I still am a rambler, and from then on I was just referred to as "rambler" most of the time and not my real name (although it was usually used as a term of endearment).

Now I use it on and off on places, or will sign my e-mails with my RL name and then "rambler" -- it reminds me of my friends and of their good attitudes toward me and it's just nice.

rambler

Posts: 141 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celtic Daisy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Celtic Daisy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last summer, i had this huge thing with celtic stuff, cause my name is Erin, and i wanted to find out complete origins of my name. Even though, Erin, is of Irish background, i'm scottish, anywho, celtic means both irish and scottish, so i fell in love with the word celtic after sometime, and my fave flower has always been the daisy, cause it's so pretty and simple, so gradually, i made my online name Celtic~*~Daisy!
However, i have also been known to have the names Smurfette, due to my tiny 4'11 height, and sometimes i dye my bangs blue, and also Mokey or Red, cause those are fraggles, and ya gotta love fraggles!!!

------------------
"A six foot tall anorexic bimbo,with plastic breasts is making me feel weird about my own body."
-Miss Bif Naked

Posts: 1747 | From: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lina79
Neophyte
Member # 2276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lina79     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my nickname is pretty simple. My name is nothing like Lina (It's Jeanette) but Lina Inverse is the main character of my fave anime, so thatz where the Lina came from. As for the 79, well, I wanted to add a number, but I couldn't think of one. While I was thinking about it my cousin called, and he's around 22, which would make him born in 1979!!! Yeah, the 79 was born! *sniff* I feel like calling him now........

------------------
*Lina79*

Posts: 12 | From: St. John's, NF, Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smittenkitten
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smittenkitten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My nick stems from my love for gillian anderson . Basically, I would be totally submissive to her if she asked it, or came anywhere near me...therefore, I am gillians_gal

Love,
gillians_gal :0P

------------------
Keeper of:
Scully's bra (EA)
Mulders Wheelchair (SE)
Scene where S tells Sk she's pregnant. (Req)
Scully's green suede jacket (Unn)

Member of GAWS

Posts: 465 | From: Canberra, ACT, Australia | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the fall of 1997 I moved into the collge dorms and found that everyone on the whole darned floor used ICQ to talk back and forth. So I downloaded it and tried to come up with a snazzy nickname like "BigBadDan" or "ImYourWorstNightmare,Dude". But being 5 foot 6, reality quickly took over and I thought of the astoundingly original nickname of "BruinDan." Because heaven knows, there's only one Dan on the UCLA campus, right?

When I was in high school, I was called "Uncle Dan" by all of my younger brother's friends. They used to tell me that I was like the perverted older Uncle that everyone always has...I'm still not sure whether that was a compliment or not.

--Danny

------------------
Remember...absence makes the heart grow fungus.

ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
italienprincess
Activist
Member # 3087

Icon 1 posted      Profile for italienprincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i totally dispise my name, it ryhmes with way too many bad things.

my speech coach started calling me 'starfish' when i had a piece about a little boy and star fishes. it was a really cute piece, and he said that it reminded him of me. my friends at speech started calling me that, then my boyfriend, and my friends. now i am known as star, fish, or starfish ( if im in trouble )

Posts: 130 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
angelwiththescabbedwings
Activist
Member # 3099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for angelwiththescabbedwings     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my name is the title of one of my favorite songs, off one of my favorite albums by an extremely controversial artist ...
Posts: 65 | From: australia | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the_last_unicorn
Neophyte
Member # 3351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the_last_unicorn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my real name is reegan. no one EVER says it right !! but anyways, when i was like 5 i used to hve this movie called the last unicorn and i watched it
over and over and over and over again

------------------

xoxoxo

Posts: 3 | From: kings,Illinois,USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baptist
Activist
Member # 3017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Baptist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think my name explains itself. I didn't wish to use my last name because everyone pronounces it wrong. My real name is Josh Deremer. My last name is pronounced "dur" "mur." The middle "E" is silent. Crazy German names...
Posts: 232 | From: Woodbridge, Virginia, USA | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grizabella
Activist
Member # 2014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Grizabella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My name comes from the musical "Cats." Although I'm not as much of a Cats freak as I used to be. Les Miz is my new obsession.
Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treehuggin_Hippeeechick*~
Activist
Member # 1476

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Treehuggin_Hippeeechick*~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"tree huggin hippeee chick" is apt cause my friends always laugh at my hippy-tendecies ( unnatural love of tie dye tops, protests, long flowery skirts, flowers in my hair, incense , animal rights-protest speeches when they are tucking into macdonalds etc )
but in everyday life ppl refer to me as " pea " - my name's leonie which due to the fact i always wear flowers got changed to "peonie", "pe" for short. then when we were very embarrassingly intoxicated my best bud and i were discussing how ppl can resemble vegetables (do *not* ask!) and hence my roundish face and cute smile she decided i look like a pea. it's cool coz there's a rather fantastic song by the chili's called "pea"

------------------
~*smiles are kisses for the soul*~ ;)

Posts: 50 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My nick name is pretty simple, I think. I really like electronic music and Keoki is one of my favorite artists. Oh yeah, and I was 14 when I registered, but that's not the reason I used it. When I played basketball, my number was always 14. I ended up getting the same number 5 years in a row!

I'm also called Al, short for Allison. I absolutely hate being called Alli, AlliCat, or Alice. I just don't like them.

------------------
"You're older than you've ever been, and now you're even older... You're older than you've ever been, and now you're even older
And now you're older still..." -Older by TMBG

"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well And that's be you, be what you're like, be like yourself, and so I'm having a wonderful time..." Whistling in the Dark by TMBG

"Everyone looks naked when you know the world's address.."
The World's Address by TMBG

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cuddleslut
Activist
Member # 3349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cuddleslut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My nickname was first made up by my best guy friend. I am a really affectionate person--I hug everyone and I am really cuddly with all of my close guy friends. So one day my friends were saying how it's cool that I'm so affectionate because most people our age can't act like that without taking it the wrong way, and then my friend goes "I know...geez Alex (my real name), you're such a cuddleslut". We all laughed, and they've thought it was a perfectly suitable name for me ever since

------------------
It's sickening how comforting the privacy of the mind can be...

Posts: 120 | From: california...well, at least it sounds cool. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
$uMMeR
Activist
Member # 2658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for $uMMeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, lately I've been considering changing it to Darlie...see there's a toothpaste called Darlie, and it's not too far off from Dahlia...

I chose summer coz it's my fav season. I don't know why it's my fav season. Maybe because here, it's summer all year! :P

------------------
*Read my diary

*Read my page

*And...alwayz :)

Posts: 194 | From: city of Anghelz | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Lynne" is my middle name.
Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aquamarine
Activist
Member # 3296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquamarine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...the nickname is my birthstone Now that I think of it, maybe it does have a deeper meaning...there could be some connection with water, yes? :: Ponders :: Nope, I give up. No deep thoughts today.
Posts: 87 | From: bay area & new england | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DancingSunshine
Neophyte
Member # 2893

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DancingSunshine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Aquamarine. Wow some of yours are very interesting! Mine is... dah dah dah dah! Because I'm a dancer and am often happy, so some people call me Sunshine. I think they sound really pretty together as DancingSunshine, hence my nickname on these boards and a few others.

------------------
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music!

Posts: 32 | From: Shoebox | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aquamarine is my birthstone too

I think ... I hope ... Well don't i feel like a fool if i'm wrong ... LOL My bday's in March. Wow, i hope i'm right ... teehee

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.