Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » V-DAY is my worst day of the year

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: V-DAY is my worst day of the year
KevMezz
Activist
Member # 558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KevMezz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
V-Day always makes me want to be sick all those couples walking round hand in hand, kissing (YUK!) It should called singles day awareness day or something like that.

This is the day where I tend to stay in and try avoid going in to town but this year I'm gonna have to because I'm working.
If I had the chance to choose either being in a coma or living through V-Day I'd choose to be in a coma.
I know who will get a card in our house, My sis will get one, dad will get my mum a card, my bro will get one too.
I tend to stay away from my friends because they have g/f's and I probably being really mean to them. SO I'll be wearing all black tomorrow because I hate the day so much because V-day is for couples only...do they have a singles day NO!!

Posts: 118 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just curious, would you still feel this way if you had a significant other?

But I do agree, there should be a singles day. One problem, what would one do for that day?

------------------
"No day is so bad it can't be fixed with a nap."
--Carrie Snow

"A mistake is simply another way of doing things."
--Katharine Graham

The best website ever: www.evilrobots.com (I am related to the founder!)

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never liked v-day either. I was actually looking forward to it this year but I was dumped on friday

------------------
Last night I felt, that you kissed me different
And I remained, without knowing what to do
I know you and I know
that something isn't right, come tell me the truth I don't want to imagine that it was the last kiss

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always thought it was a little weird, personally.

I mean, making any sort of connection between romantic love and a Catholic saint who got clubbed to death and then beheaded is a little odd, don't you think?

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weird...
Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess how it originated is kinda odd ...

But I've never had a bf for Vday, and now i do. I won't get to see him, but i know he'll call me and i'm gonna send him an e-card, so things will be great.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think people make too much of being single on V-day. It's no big deal (in my opinion anyway). It can't really be that bad of a day could it? I've never had a big valentines day powwow, I never thought much about it either. V-day didn't make me feel lonely or anything like that. It was just another day.

Last year was the first time I had someone to spend V-day with. I got sick. This year, my boyfriend and I both have our history research papers due friday. So what will we be doing tomorrow? Skipping school to hang out at the library. Romantic isn't it? I don't mind, neither as he. We do nifty things for each other all year round.

Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aww, BuffChick- I was dumped last week too. But I agree, there should be a singles day. I've always loved Valentine's Day, though. It's so romantic and sweet- if you have someone that is. I really hate being single for v-day and having to watch all of my friends get roses from their boyfriends and hug and stuff.

------------------
*^Lucky^*
Come check out what's goin on in Lucky's mind!
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XxFIFxX
Activist
Member # 2109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for XxFIFxX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a b/f and i still loathe Valentines Day. As Billy Corgan once said: "Love is suicide" :P
Anyways, that's my friend and my favorite quote. In the 8th grade she wrote that quote on her forehead during Valentines Day and she got suspended for 3 days. I thought that was funny... kinda pointless to post, but funny.

------------------
*I wish I didn't care, but I do*

Posts: 62 | From: Los Angeles, CA USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purple Lemonade
Activist
Member # 2674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Lemonade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Omigod, I totally agree with u Kev.
V-Day really sucks. Today I couldn't hang out with my friends (like I was planning) cuz all of 3 of them got asked out. GRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! And there should be a P2BS(Proud to Be Single) Day. That's what I think.
You know I could go on and on and on about how pissed I am, but I'm not going to...since I don't wanna make any of you bored or get fired up with anger.
Well, bye!

Posts: 54 | From: Manila, Philippines | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When all else fails, take comfort in the thought of all the screaming babies that will be living with valentines-day-heat-of-the-moment-lovers in about 40 weeks.

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I need my conscience to keep watch over me
To protect me from myself
So I can wear honesty like a crown on my head
When I walk into the promised land

Aria of Mayhem

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My day was pretty damn groovy, in an absolutely unromantic sort of day. I went with some people from my school to a fundraiser for the Heart and Stroke Foundation, a combined soup competition and silent auction, to serve soup, and grab whatever anyone needed. Which meant I spent today ladling soup into little cups
(and got to try some too, including a wonderful feta cream and something tomatoey, topped with tortilla chips), listening to Manfred Mann and the Shirelles, and wearing a funky white chef's hat. I don't exactly dread valentine's so much as I just don't care, but there are certainly worse things to do. Lesson from today: to avoid depression, choose distraction, preferably for a good cause. And don't even consider moping!

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
entropie
Activist
Member # 26

Icon 1 posted      Profile for entropie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This year was the first year that I have been with someone for Valentines Day.. and to be honest, it was quite embarrassing because I'm so used to not receiving things.. so when he popped into my work with flowers and chocolates.. you shoulda seen me run!

I think I could quite happily live without that one holiday.. or if it were changed to a holiday when you buy something for yourself because you love yourself rather than relying on the attention of others. It'd be a heck of a lot more satisfying!

entropie

------------------
honeylaser's site

Posts: 1030 | From: Aotearoa | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://members.home.net/twarden1/antival.html
Anti-Valentine's Day Fun

------------------
"it's like being hit in the head repeatedly with a sock full of quarter's" ~~Daria~~

[This message has been edited by lilnerd (edited 02-14-2001).]

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go ahead make an offical anti-St Valentines day.

I liked it, always did, I thought it was sweet that people got eachother, flowers or little gifts. But I can understand why some of yous dont like the holiday! Its otay!!

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Its the best feeling in the world to know that somebody loves you more then anything in the world! *~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
glitter... that's not my page, just thought it was funny

------------------
"it's like being hit in the head repeatedly with a sock full of quarter's" ~~Daria~~

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today could also be love yourself day. What do you think?

I always like to think of V-day as a day of love. For whomever...

------------------
"No day is so bad it can't be fixed with a nap."
--Carrie Snow

"A mistake is simply another way of doing things."
--Katharine Graham

The best website ever: www.evilrobots.com (I am related to the founder!)

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look at it this way, we got through a good part of our lives without spending V-Day with our so called significant other. Were we miserable? I don't think so.

And keoki is right. V-Day or at least what we perceive to be V-Day now should just be a day of love.

I can tell you I have a wonderful time with my girlfriends. They rock. Heck, it's tonnes of fun hanging out with my doggie.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, resentment really only gets anyone so far.

You know, I don't celebreate the New Year on the same date the western world does, but I don't resnt it because of that.

The hard truth is this: if you don't like being with yourself, you aren't going to be happy with anyone else either. truthfully, people with low self-esteem are often MORE -- not less -- miserable with other people because it makes all their insecurities come out in full force.

Valentine's day is supposed to celebrate love, so this year, if you never have, why not take the first step and commemorate loving YOURSELF. Do something nice for yourself: buy yourself a present, take yourself out to dinner, draw yourself a bath and eat bon-bons in it, whatever makes you happy.

...because if you can't do that, you can't really ever love anyone else.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shenzie2007
Activist
Member # 9027

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shenzie2007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah... I was just thinking about V-Day when I came upon this thread (by accident.)

Actually, all that bothers me about Valentine's day is seeing all these people hugging and clogging the hallways on the way to class. (I'm not big on seeing people display obvious affection publicly.)
This year, I have someone to celebrate with- sortof. Yes, it's only September.
The problem is, if I send her anything other than an email, her parents might find out about us. That wouldn't be good. :/

I like the idea of V-Day as a 'love someone- anyone' day, not necessarily a 'love someone else' day. A shame they don't advertise it as such more, no?

------------------
"a peach is a peach
a plum is a plum
but a kiss ain't a kiss without any tongue
so open your mouth
and close your eyes
and give your tongue some exercise"

[This message has been edited by Shenzie2007 (edited 09-09-2002).]

Posts: 73 | From: dallas, texas, usa | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MiSs_Behave
Activist
Member # 8605

Icon 2 posted      Profile for MiSs_Behave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like it much either and I have a man to share it with! I just think days like Mothers Day and Valentines Day and the like should be celebrated more.. broadly. Like Valentines Day shouldn't just be about recieveing a card from your loved one, it should be about celebrating LOVE in general, between each and every human, you know? Mothers Day is so commericalised too.. I hate it. It's almost like if you don't buy your Mum or Grandma a present then you don't love them which is trash. Mothers Day AND Fathers Day is just a special day where you let your parents know how much you appreciate them, but this should be done on most days anyway. Urgh.

------------------
Follow your inner moonlight, don't hide the MaDdNeSs...

Posts: 56 | From: Land of Oz | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.