Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » canker sores

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: canker sores
summerdaze
Neophyte
Member # 2367

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summerdaze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have gotten canker sores for as long I remember. If I'm giving a guy oral sex what effects does it have on him??

------------------
Hv -- M

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have oral herpes, you can transmit it to a partner via oral sex and they wind up with genital Herpes.

Not okay.

Use a condom for oral sex -- ALWAYS -- and when you have an active sore, it's best to keep your mouth to yourself, I'm sorry to say.

If you have had partners for oral sex and have NOT been using condoms, I suggest you contact them ASAP and let them know they should be sure to get a Herpes test for themselves.

Posts: 68067 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summerdaze
Neophyte
Member # 2367

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summerdaze     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks miz scarlet, sorry i just realized this was in the wrong board!!

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What section would you like it in? We can move it.
Posts: 68067 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found a couple topics on canker sores, if you wanna check them out
www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/000307.html
& www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/000475.html

Hope that helps you a little more.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Its the best feeling in the world to know that somebody loves you more then anything in the world! *~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ella
Activist
Member # 1168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about moving it to either Body and Soul or Sex Basics and Health. It's up to you

[This message has been edited by Ella (edited 02-05-2001).]

Posts: 303 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshleyInABottle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm confused Miz S...SummerDaze said she got canker sores. Aren't herpes and canker sores two different things? I know you shouldn't give unprotected oral sex when you have any sort of sore in your mouth (I know you shouldn't give it unprotected AT ALL), but how come you replied to her question and talked about herpes when she said canker sores?

------------------
"I do what my rice krispies tell me to do"

Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are the same thing. There are two stages to herpes, Simplex 1 and Simplex 2. Canker sores and cold sores are simplex 1. Simplex 2 is usually gental herpes. You get what Im sayin? Probably not becuase its hard to understand
Miz S might be able to explain it betters.
------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Its the best feeling in the world to know that somebody loves you more then anything in the world! *~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

[This message has been edited by glitter695 (edited 02-08-2001).]

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

ANY mouth sore CAN be Herpes, and canker and cold sores usually ARE a symptom of Herpes Simplex I, which about one in every four people have.

So, here's the deal: if you have mouth sores and you haven't had'em diagnosed as anything OTHER than Herpes by a doctor, treat them like they ARE Herpes.

make sense?

alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okie, let me see whether I can help clear this up.

WebMD states on their website regarding HSV (Herpes simplex virus):

quote:
"...there are two distinct types of the virus: herpes simplex virus 1 (HSV-1) and herpes simplex virus 2 (HSV-2).
As a rule, HSV-1 infects the oral cavity and is not sexually transmitted, while HSV-2 attacks the genital area and is sexually transmitted. [...]Either type can occasionally be found in either area or at other sites..."

So (and Miz S, please correct me if I am wrong here) - when you have cold sores near your mouth (which would usually be HPV-1), you might just as well (or additionally) have HPV-2 because it is not confined to the genitals and so you might transmit the HPV-2 on your mouth (which appears to be HPV-1) to your partners genitals when you perform oral sex.

Did I get that right?

Well, doesn't really matter in the end, does it, because we are all using condoms or dams for Oral Sex no matter whether we have cold sores or not....
------------------
Just a regular lunatic.
Go inside Alaska's head...

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 02-08-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Well put, and yes.

And while there ARE other things any mouth sore can be a result of, unless you have HAD any given sore at any time tested by a doctor who has told you it is NOT Herpes, be safe and treat it like it iss.

Oddly, I am the only one on the entire side of my mothers family (including my sister) who does NOT have oral Herpes and has never had a mouth sore. Either my Dad's genes did a killer job, or I just developed a massive immunity having been around it growing up.

AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshleyInABottle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See..I have done alot of research on canker sores and how they are "different" from herpes..and I found tons of differences, so that kind of confused me (what Miz S. said). I too get canker sores..but I have been told my dentist and doctor that they are from eating too much salt and going through alot of stress.

But, I get what you gals/guys are sayin', I was just confused for a minute. Thanks!

------------------

Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

I heard that it is from salt and citrus fruits like oranges, lemons ect.....I get used to get canker sores all the time becuause of my braces....sometimes I get them now becuase of my retainer (retainer is such a gross word isnt it?)
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't think salt or fruit would be the direct cause of a canker sore. but it can sure aggravate the pain of a canker sore. owwie!

i used to get loads of sores from my braces -- they'd scrape open the lining of my mouth, then the sore would get ugly and mean.

------------------
Kill your TV! And while you're at it, your mobile phone, too.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Actually, I also get canker sores whenever I drink orange juice...weird.

------------------

summerdaze
Neophyte
Member # 2367

ok, I've been doing some research also. They say that canker sores and cold sores are completely different and canker sores are not contagious, but the difference between these and oral herpes still confuse me.

Canker Sores ( Mouth Ulcers ) :

-Are strictly intraoral meaning that canker sores occur only within the mouth.
-Are not contagious meaning they can not be spread from person to person.
-Are not caused by a virus.

Fever Blisters ( Cold Sores ), on the other hand:

-Are preceded by small blisters called vesicles.
-Usually occur on the outside of the mouth although they sometimes occur on the inside of the mouth. When they do occur on the inside of the mouth, fever blisters appear on bound (non-movable) sections of the mouth such as the mouth roof.
-Are contagious meaning they can be spread from person to person.
-Are caused by a virus

Herpes Gingivostomatitis (Oral Herpes, Mouth Herpes)

An infection caused by the herpes simplex virus involving the mouth, throat and parts of the face. It is a common childhood illness, usually occurring between 6 months and 5 years of age, although older children and even adults may become infected. Once a child is infected with herpes, s/he carries the virus for life. It can reappear on the lips in later years as "cold sores" or "fever blisters."
http://www.sexhealth.org/infocenter/STDsFile/herpes.htm <-- here it says "Labial herpes typically exist around the mouth. This is the virus which causes common cold sores and mouth blisters.

i guess i should just go see a doc!

Heather
Member # 3

You should because, as I have been trying to say, most layman really aren't capable or qualified to distinguish one sort of sore from the other. If you've had them for years and years after being diagnosed, you probably can, but if you have mouth sores which a doctor has never disgnosed as one thing or the other -- and cleared as NOT being Herpes -- use the same precatrutions you would use for Herpes until you HAVE gotten that diagnosis.
Sheelanagig
Neophyte
Member # 2693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sheelanagig     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another good link for this topic is the American Social Health Association, which hosts the Herpes Resources Center:
http://www.ashastd.org

Bottom line: Mouth sores CAN be caused by things other than HSV, but do you want to take the chance? There's a lot we still don't know about the hrepes virus family, and outbreaks or HSV-1 and HSV-2 can behave differently in different people -- symptoms are not always the same from one person to another. They are tricky viruses, and are not giving up their secrets too easily these days, though we DO know more than we used to...

... Including the fact that, yes Virginia, HSV-1 will happily live on the gentials and can be transmitted during oral sex. Last time I checked, HSV-2 doesn't seem to do all that well in the mouth, but we can't rule it out.

I agree with Miz S. -- since it's so hard to know for sure if a muoth sore is caused by HSV-1 or non-transmissable virus, it's safest to go ahead and work around it as though it IS transmissable.

Posts: 8 | From: Chicago, IL, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.