Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Pop or Soda??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pop or Soda??
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you guys say? Pop or Soda?

I say Pop!!! I just want to know, cuz when I was in Texas everyone made fun of me cuz I said Pop.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Its the best feeling in the world to know that somebody loves you more then anything in the world! *~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ella
Activist
Member # 1168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ella     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who freaks out over the word Pop. She hates it. I say pop, never soda, but sometimes the brand name of what I'm drinking (ie. Coke, Sprite, Pepsi, etc.). It's probably a regional thing. She's from Quebec and I'm from Ontario, different words for the same thing...
Posts: 303 | From: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
its pop here in ohio

------------------
fairykoger@hotmail.com

http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/koger

Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlirtieGirlie
Activist
Member # 2510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlirtieGirlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We call it soda in MA, if anyone said pop, no one would no what they were talking about!

------------------
Kids in the backseat cause accidents. Accidents in the backseats cause kids! (So be careful!) Luvs to Jeremy!

Posts: 141 | From: The Bolton Ghetto, Mass. :-) | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As FlirtieGirlie said-Pop is deceased, at least here in my part of NY. Along with tennis shoe and stocking. My friend who moved here from somewhere out west still says tennis shoe-he gets awfully strange look when he does.

------------------
Give yourself over to absolute pleasure!! With protection, of course.

[This message has been edited by pink (edited 01-29-2001).]

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neither. I call it soft drink.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
soda. In NY--your answer would be....... errr-- pop??

------------------
"Live a balanced life - Learn some and think some, and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some."
~~ Robert Fulghum, author ~~

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sweet fizzy crap I can't stand that gives me heartburn.

I'm not a soda drinker, in case you can't tell, but I would generally call it soda. Since in my family my father is "Papi" or "Pop" calling it pop would get confusing.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Beppie:
Neither. I call it soft drink.

Beppie, you're one of the few others I know who do. <big grin>

Yep, for me it's a "soft drink" as opposed to a "hard drink" which contains alcohol. I don't know where I picked up the term--probably from my mother, and she was raised in Kentucky.

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
it's soda you freeeeeks!!!

------------------
Inspected by Number 26

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beer.

I find it impressive how close America is to having regional dialects.
(Which is scary coming from an Australian - true blue, she'll be right cobber! Now get another one a' these dinkie dies inta ya!)

------------------
Seid umschlungen, Millionen!
Diesen Kuss der ganzen Welt!

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We call it a soft drink.

I'm a Coke girl. That's the only soft drink I drink.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm from Texas, and if you say it's anything other than "coke" (note the lowercase) you get laughed at.

The waitress comes to your table and you ask what kinds of coke they have, and she reels off the list: you know, Coke, Sprite, Dr Pepper.

I personally don't drink Coke; I drink Dr Pepper, exclusively. The only decent soft drink. ;]

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/.
Ike Ike Go Go Jump!

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead Dog
Activist
Member # 1672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dead Dog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i am all on the lemming's side here!

it is coke; everything is coke.

i am a writer, so i understand the game of wanting generic terms ("soda," etc.) in order to protect brand names "Coke," etc.). but since i am a dr pepper (note there is no period in their proper brand name!), i am all in favor of destroying the coke trademark.

c'mon, people, join me! let's make coke join the ranks of linoleum, kleenex, and all those other poor companies who fell into the pit of generics. whee! hooray for anti-capitalism...

*smirk* i'm just kiddin', guys...

... but it *is coke, all the same... =P

*giggle*

------------------
Ignore the Gable candle!
http//www.geocities.com/musingkitten23

Posts: 61 | From: texas - yeehaw, or something | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJadeT
Activist
Member # 2057

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJadeT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We call em fizzy drinks cos that's what they are really.
Posts: 394 | From: Manchester, Lancashire, England | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dont worry Miz S, I dont drink it that much either, I have about 1 every month. I like juices!!! They are soooo nummys, apple jucie, orange juice, cranberry jucie.....they are so much healther for you then POP!!!!!!!!

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Its the best feeling in the world to know that somebody loves you more then anything in the world! *~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm from Kansas so it's pop. If you say soda you'd get a weird look. I've learn to say 'medium pepsi.'

------------------
~*~Buff Chick~*~
*kiss*kiss* to my Karamel Kid! :)

"No one can stop you from who you love and the one love is who you love."

"Never frown because you never know when someone is falling in love with your smile."

Watch out! I'm a awful speller. *hehe*

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, I say fizzy drink sometimes too. Not as often as soft drink, but certainly before I'd call it pop or soda.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hanne
Sexpert
Member # 100

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hanne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Rhode Island, they call it "tonic." Pronounced TAAAHN-nik.

No lie.

------------------
Hanne Blank
Co-Editor, Scarleteen

Start a Revolution -- Stop Hating Your Body!

Posts: 1538 | From: boston, ma, USA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up in North Dakota and Iowa, where it was pop, then came to Missouri, where it's soda or sody (so-dee) and I get laughed at.
Ah well. I drink water anyway.

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I need my conscience to keep watch over me
To protect me from myself
So I can wear honesty like a crown on my head
When I walk into the promised land

Aria of Mayhem

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andiecheer
Neophyte
Member # 2617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for andiecheer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, i'm from the panhandle of florida and we do not say soda or pop. when we are talking about soft drinks no matter what kind we say "coke". i don't know if it's different in other parts of the south or not but we don't say it any other way.
Posts: 16 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshleyInABottle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in Maryland, we say "soda". But I have alot of friends (in other states, that is) who say "pop" and we have playful arguments over it sometimes. lol.

------------------
"I do what my rice krispies tell me to do"

Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~You*Know*Who~
Activist
Member # 1412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~You*Know*Who~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here in good ol' Michagan we call it pop...somebody'de probly laugh at you if you said anything but that.

Its interesting what different parts of the country calls things really...

Posts: 252 | From: somwhere, usa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.