Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » little annoyances (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: little annoyances
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful with that. It's bad enough to insult someone, but when you need an instruction book to do so, that's even worse.

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

The Earth says Hel-lo!

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MarvellousPurple:
but BD, Latin is awesome!

It very well might be. But there's no need for it, and so my position stands. You want to say something in French or Spanish or Italian, by all means do so. But someone uses Latin around me and I dismiss them as pompous and move on.

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," PHOM

Beware the naked man who offereth you his pants.

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It says something to the effect of "If you are likely to be the really pernickety type of reader, do you mind leaving now? Just head in the direction of absolutely anywhere else."

I found the translations be funny, and I use it for my own entertainment. Mostly because you never hear people say nitwit anymore.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hehe the other day in the cafeteria i saw a guy whose shirt said "If you can read this, you have too much education" in Latin and felt like a huge dork. In my defense, I'm a classics major. Probably, anyway.

and, well, yeah, people who use Latin to be impressive are pretty annoying. Especially when they do it wrong but Real Latin stuff is neat, like old writings and history and stuff...

------------------
I'm never gonna know you now, but I'm gonna love you anyhow.

Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MarvellousPurple:
and, well, yeah, people who use Latin to be impressive are pretty annoying...but Real Latin stuff is neat, like old writings and history and stuff...

Now there is where I agree with you. I took several years of Old English and German as part of my major, and all the Old English stuff fascinated me. Just to be able to read things like the Chickering version of Beowulf and have a basic idea what's going on was awesome. But I'd sure as heck never whip that out at a party...I'd be tossed out faster than empty wine bottles at Gummy's place.

------------------

Beware the naked man who offereth you his pants.

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
danny, are you calling me a wino! well i never! *smirk*

as for throwing out latin at parties, that's angry clam's job. he's the man when it comes to classics.

------------------
You can either be part of the problem or part of the solution, but in the end, being part of the problem is much more fun.
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, unless it's a toga party I can make a mean toga out of bedsheets. Man, I'd be an asset to any frat.

------------------
I'm never gonna know you now, but I'm gonna love you anyhow.

Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icanthinkofaname
Activist
Member # 12481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icanthinkofaname     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey shenzie2007, are you homo/bisexual (since you said u havea gf) or has your school finally understood the merits of a co-ed locker room? Anywho, here's my list

-Spanish- the language might be ok, but EVERYONE takes it. No one's original, like with russian or german (like me!).

-Calling up comedy clubs about open-mike night and then finding ou that theres an age limit

-Actually, all age limits

-Homework

-My civics teacher. She gives a us a paper to read and thats the lesson for the day

- People who tell me not to use gay as a derogatory term- Not people that are actually gay, I'm talking about the [shmendricks] who say it to be funny. It's not. Sorry that it slipped, but u don't have to turn it into a joke

-Preps/all "popular people" who treat others like crap or do something realyl stupid at the expense of a cheap joke

-evangelists (i'm not going to Hell!)

-Comedians who havea bad joke and only get a laugh because they add the f word in there
(>_> Lewis Black)

-People who act a lot smarter than they actually are

-People who don't get jokes

------------------
If you can't say something nice, then don't say something nice.

[This message has been edited by BruinDan (edited 12-15-2003).]

Posts: 95 | From: Look behind you..... | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

quote:
Originally posted by icanthinkofaname:
-Spanish- the language might be ok, but EVERYONE takes it. No one's original, like with russian or german (like me!).

Originality is key, when it's available. Out here you either take Spanish or French, because that's all there is. Most people choose Spanish because half this country (and 8 out of 10 folks where I live) speaks it. German is fascinating, and is basically the cradle of the English language, but don't be pressing on folks who are taking the language that is most likely to be used around here.

And by the way, don't be trying to work around the language restrictions here. It's very clever to use other characters to let your expletives get through, but we have those rules for a reason and I'll regretfully have to edit your posts each time you try that stunt.

------------------

¡Siendo padrote no es cil!

icanthinkofaname
Activist
Member # 12481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icanthinkofaname     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
shmendricks? Someone else got by withthe word, so i thought that it was ok. My bad.

------------------
If you can't say something nice, then don't say something nice.

Posts: 95 | From: Look behind you..... | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilac15
Neophyte
Member # 14558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilac15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i know i cant list then all cuz there r so many....

~rasist pple
~smoking
~when my lil sister smacks....it drives my up the wall
~we r watching something and right before anything happenes...my lil sister has 2 tell u its gonna happen
~pple who think they can get anything they want
~hiccups
~when pple say "my bad"...i dont know...it just erks me
~when pple call me in the middle of the night...
~when ur about 2 eat cereal and u pour it in the bowl and then u see theres no milk...
~when my cat licks plastic bags in the middle of the night....

im sure there r more...thats just a few...

------------------

Posts: 12 | From: ATL | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilac15
Neophyte
Member # 14558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilac15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i really didnt notice that u used it in the post above mine.....
but it still gets on my nevres but only when someone says it out loud..

------------------
Don't need u 2 tell me im pretty, make me feel beautiful.....don't need u 2 make me strong cuz im strong on my own!

THE BEAUTYS INSIDE!!!

Posts: 12 | From: ATL | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Er, I honestly really dislike it when people use letters and numbers rather than typing out a full word. It just makes me feel like I'm reading the lyrics to a Prince song, and it makes it harder to understand what's being communicated. Additionally, it's something we don't allow here. So if you could try to avoid it, that'd be great.

------------------

. . .Fearing not that I'd become my enemy
In the instant that I preach

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilac15
Neophyte
Member # 14558

i will try not 2...i mean to use them again....

------------------
[please edit this signature down a bit, as having two full paragraphs of heiroglyphics seems a tad excessive]

[This message has been edited by BruinDan (edited 12-21-2003).]

BlondChik1424
Activist
Member # 15765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlondChik1424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*People who think I care about every detail of what there boyfriends say.
*The words booger,goober,poop, and almost anything with double O's.
*When my mom talks to someone about me like I'm not in the room ex. 'She is gonna get grounded if she doesn't unload the dishwasher.'
*When people touch the front of my neck.
*People with a closed mind.
*Guy's that think they look good.
*Superficial people.
*Girls who think they are better than me.
*When someone expects me to take them somewhere because I'm the only one with a car.

There are alot more but I can't think of them right now.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~You*Know*Who~
Activist
Member # 1412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~You*Know*Who~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When people poke me in my hip fat. Like right at my waiste/hip border. It irks me and pisses me off.
Posts: 252 | From: somwhere, usa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

I just found another--I dislike badly done covers of good songs. REALLY dislike. I love it when an artist takes a pre-existing song, re-does it and adds something to it, a musical twist, or somehow makes it different, but also good--i think that shows taste and artistry. However, it really really irks me when someone goes, "hm, this is a good song. it needs a version with MORE GUITARS!!"
nico
Neophyte
Member # 16412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nico     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
* I'm with marvellouspurple on the cover songs. It really bugs me when pop "punk" bands decide to do a "punk cover" of a classic song by speeding it up, adding louder power chords and singing in a really nasal voice. Not good.
* Really judgemental people irk me. I have a friend who looks down her nose at everything and has a generally "sex is bad and for bad people" outlook. Incredibly annoying, not to mention offensive.
* guys who grab you in moshpits. like purposefully feel you up. It's called etiquette, you don't f*** with the chicks
* homophobic people, especially kids because they're impossible to talk to and they're so stupid and cruel.
* This flu bug I haven't been able to shake that keeps sneaking up on me every week. ugh.

Posts: 22 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
nico, i'm with you on that last one. man, i sound like the engine of an old Yugo right now. at least i'm getting past the "walking ball of snot" phase.

------------------
SPAM: Spare Parts of Assorted Mammals

Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenni_05
Activist
Member # 17270

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Jenni_05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ohhhhh k Then

Well First of all i am one with road rage.
I CAN NOT STAND when people drive around at night with thier High Beams on right behind me ARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH it drives me nuts so i piss them off by driving really slow in front of them in single lane traffic. hehe

Another thing i hate is my boss who treats me like i'm stupid in which he is the half wit and i'm always like 10 steps in front him. things he does just really peeve me off like u would'nt believe. DO NOT get me started on that.

People who are rude on the phone!!!!! oh my lord. i work as a secretary and i had a guy the other day and i answered and he goes "hang on wait" answers his mobile phone and starts talking and i'm waitng an then he hangs up on me!!!!! HOW RUDE IS THAT. another phone peeve i hate is ppl who can't speak english properly and they are rude to me like it's my fault that they can't speak english and that i cant understand them.

Obnoxious ppl who think the world just falls at they're feet and they are just royalty.

There is more but i'll stop now hehe.

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nmcowgirl87
Activist
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nmcowgirl87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my gosh, it annoys me so much when someone takes a message for me and then just puts it on my desk (a complete black hole where paperwork is never seen or herd from again... I've posted notices saying that all lost memo's should send me a postcard whenever they get to wherever they go to, however I'm afraid that said postcards end up in the black hole just like their senders) instead of in my in box. To make matters worse, no one ever tells me I HAVE a message, so I don't look for it. Then I get angry phone calls from feed stores, veterinary supply houses, clients, students, you name it, about not returning their previous 100,000,000,000,009 calls. It's a vicious cycle, I tell you! And it never ends! Fortunately, most people are learning to leave me a voice mail on my cell phone instead of doing battle with the office help.

------------------
Ride it like you stole it!

Posts: 64 | From: Carlsbad, NM USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita18
Activist
Member # 15951

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anita18     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ungrateful people make me SO mad, and ignorant people annoy me a little too, but ungrateful people are definitely first on my list. (Ignorance can be fixed with a little awareness, unless you want to stay ignorant. That's just frustrating.)

My bf was telling me a story of how a student here was having her computer fixed by the tech dept which he works for. This girl has had her computer reformatted (basically means you erase the entire hard drive and start from scratch with reinstalling the operating system) FOUR TIMES this year because she's gotten too many viruses even though the student tech employee would install antivirus and antispyware programs on her computer after each reformat. Now, getting that many harmful viruses is plain lazy ignorance, but I'm not finished yet.

The last reformat took 13 hours, spread out over different days, in which students tech employees (paid by the college) would go into her room and stay with her computer the entire time, monitoring it. When they finally finished, she was sent a user satisfaction survey as is protocol (this every tech employee sees once she sends it out).

She wrote that her experience was "poor, because they need to take students' time into consideration." She was more concerned that she was losing time from working since her computer was broken (which WAS her fault since it was the fourth time it had to be reformatted) rather than being thankful that her computer was fixed. My God I can't believe anyone that ungrateful goes to my school. I can't believe anyone that ungrateful even EXISTS.

Grrrrrr...

Posts: 218 | From: CA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleOneUSN
Activist
Member # 17486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleOneUSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is Kind of annoying only because I still fall under it.

The legal drinking age in the U.S. is 21... Many people in the military will argue that is should be changed to 18, becuase of the fact if your old enough to die for your country you should be able to drink.

Exceptions that I know to this rule, is in San Diego they let people drink on base who are 18, only becuase of the fact that they don't want them going to Mexico and getting drunk.

Other exceptions are being stationed overseas. I'm in Okinawa, Japan the legal drinking age is 20...

Exception to 20, is if you are a Marine or attatched to a Marine Core Unit the legal drinking age for u is 21, HaHa! Needless to say April 7, i turned 20 (Navy) and on March 19, my boyfriend turned 20 (Marine) I could drink a whole year before him.

However there is alot of underage drinking over here, I can't say whether or not I par took in any of it...but it happens way to much.

Posts: 95 | From: Liverpool, NY | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molly_Macabre
Neophyte
Member # 18137

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molly_Macabre     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-Cliques of people on the internet who just think they're the coolest thing EVER and are asses to everyone else

-Big stupid suvs owned by a person with no family/friends and doesnt need the extra space.

-the ignorance of people in general

-goths/punks/emo kids/whatever

-being sent to the principle even though I'm the one getting beat up, but because I dress strangely and act weird, I'm evil, and because the people who beat me up are dressed in pink and are all giggly, they're saints

-people who use the excuse that because two of the beatles are dead, it means their music doesnt rock

-music with no melody at all and just a bunch of whiny goth poetry sad angsty lyrics.

------------------
Furry pride.

Call me a goth, say bye to your face. >:(

Posts: 7 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

But hey, who needs friends and family when you've got an SUV?

------------------

. . .Amber eyes lost deep in thought
Of why the dish ran away with the spoon.

jeangenie
Activist
Member # 16168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jeangenie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could go on for YEARS but the main ones-

-Self-righteous non smokers. The kind that walk by you and make a huge show of fake coughing, or tell you very matter-of-factly, "smoking is bad for you." Really? I've never heard that before? I've never read the label! ARRGGHH.

-Straight guys who go to gay bars to pick up fruit flys and don't seem to realize that i'm there to hit on girls

-Anyone who hits on a woman in an extremely disrespectful way, grabbing, cat calling, etc...

-People who do not tip waitresses, tatoo artists, manicurists, stylists... etc...

-That Usher song that is on the radio literally ever 3 songs. I counted

-Old men making comments about the color of my hair

Posts: 53 | From: Austin, TX, USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiyapeeps23
Activist
Member # 17908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiyapeeps23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate it when teachers erase something on the board, but leave little marks here and there. It drives me crazy! Sometimes it's right in the middle of an answer or something. Are the teacher's blind or something? I just feel like getting out of my seat and erasing it. It's soooooo annoying.
Posts: 118 | From: Where the shoobies roam... | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
a banana smile
Neophyte
Member # 17720

Icon 8 posted      Profile for a banana smile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here are some of my pet peeves

1. People who are full of themselves
2. Fake people
3. Liars
4. When you are baking, and you go to get eggs out of the fridge, but there arent any!
5. Being bored
6. People who cut you off when driving, bikers that arent in the bike lane
7. Men, that whistle and shout degrading thingswhile walking by. Give me a break!

i think thats enough for now.

Posts: 15 | From: california | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lets see...I have way to many pet peeves, and I can't remember half of them...but here's my (partial) list:

-People who ask too many questions (i.e nosy people)
-The little annoying 2nd graders who I'm working with for my Pre-Grad challenge that suck on my fingers...grrrooosss
-strawberry juice (ya know when you're picking the berries and one smushes right in your hand!?)

Hmm...many more..lemme sleep on it

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jambeypants
Neophyte
Member # 16838

Icon 12 posted      Profile for jambeypants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh how the list of pet peeves grows and grows, especially with the addition of my own pet peeves!

-When you're on the road and drivers around you turn into the INCORRECT lane (i.e. the lane that was NOT closest to them). It's especially irritating when they decide to change lanes into the CORRECT one; they could have turned into it, like they were supposed to, at the very beginning!

-Ring tones that sound like the tune of a song.

-My white cat deciding to sit on my good black pants.

-When articles of clothing come out wrinkled from the dryer even though they are the "wrinkle-free" kind AND you used every wrinkle-free technique you know.

-People that DON'T return their carts to the "Return Carts Here" area and instead just prop them against a tree or leave them free in the downhill parking lot. Runaway cart anyone?

Posts: 6 | From: Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kt04vw
Neophyte
Member # 18628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kt04vw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree w/the Avril Lavigne one.

I can't stand old people who drive, i mean really old people. Every accident i've gotten into was by some 90 yr old who wasn't paying attention

When i go into a resturant and order shrimp and that vein thing down their back is still there. Sorry but it grosses me out.

Posts: 30 | From: California | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Queer Kat
Neophyte
Member # 19168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Queer Kat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One pet peeve that emmidiately comes to mind, and I know this is the case with alot of other people, that really annoys and irritates me is homophobic people, both religious and non-religious. I do however respect other people's opinions, I just don't like when they force what they believe on other people. I guess thats the only thing that annoys me really.
Posts: 13 | From: Australia, Sydney | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sexythang7
Neophyte
Member # 18650

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sexythang7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my really huge pet peeves is when people pat their hands on their laps when listening to music in the car!! Damn, that drives me crazy sooo much!
Oh and when people try to show off.

Posts: 10 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plumerias
Neophyte
Member # 19214

Icon 1 posted      Profile for plumerias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When i go into a resturant and order shrimp and that vein thing down their back is still there. Sorry but it grosses me out.[/B]

OK, this might freak you out a bit, but the "vein" thing going down their back is actually poo. Yup, poo. That's how shrimp dispose of their er...waste material, if you will. Nasty? yup.

Posts: 13 | From: San Diego | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plumerias
Neophyte
Member # 19214

Icon 1 posted      Profile for plumerias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When i go into a resturant and order shrimp and that vein thing down their back is still there. Sorry but it grosses me out.[/B]

OK, this might freak you out a bit, but the "vein" thing going down their back is actually poo. Yup, poo. That's how shrimp dispose of their er...waste material, if you will. Nasty? yup.

Posts: 13 | From: San Diego | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.