Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » little annoyances (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: little annoyances
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Beppie:
she grew up in Australia, but has spent twenty years of her adult life in California...

I was born in Chicago and learned to speak out there. So when I came to SoCal and started school, my teacher would punish me for saying words in MidWestern-accented English. Simply for saying the words "roof" and "root" wrong, I was banished to the corner until I could "get it right."

How I hated the old battle-axe...

------------------
"Task Force 46, Light Force 34, Engine and Rescue 66, Battalion 3, Division 2; respond into the Greater Alarm Structure Fire at San Pedro and Jefferson. Reported to be a fire at the First Alert fire extinguisher factory..."

BruinDan's Blog!
ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have a friend who was raised in Hong Kong and Oakland. He gripes that when he speaks English like a Chinese guy, and speaks Chinese like an American.

today's pet peeve: why is it easier to get into graduate school and get a job? a decent one anyway. screw waiting tables.

corollary pet peeve: people who don't tip, or tip a pittance. you have a space in hell reserved for you.

------------------
"I am so smart, I am so smart, s-m-r-t....I mean s-m-A-r-t." Homer J. Simpson
"Mmm ... floor pie!" Homer J. Simpson

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Milke:
and Texans just sound downright funny (hearing anyone say 'howdy' amuses me, that's probably why)

It depends in what part of Texas you're from. Houstonians (like I and several other STers) sound pretty regular (to me anyway) and people from Kerville sound pretty hickish!

I don't really say howdy...only sometimes! I'll record my voice just for you and say Howdy Milke.

------------------
That's Mrs. Rivers Cuomo to you. :)

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~You*Know*Who~
Activist
Member # 1412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~You*Know*Who~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone has a unique way they speak, no matter where they're from. I am from Michigan. I have heard us Michiganders sound pretty damn hilarious. But I think we sound normal. Its all about perspective, as some of you had said.
Posts: 252 | From: somwhere, usa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today's pet peeve (I like this thread, very therapeutic!)

* Running out of something just as you need it. Eg: conditioner, flour (if you're baking) etc.

Talk about frustrating!

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do g-strings cost the same as regular panties, when they only use about 1/3 of the material, if that?
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And why do people throw them on stage at certain events? I got to see Danko Jones's bassist initial kecks last night and throw them back at the girl next to me. And I'd like to emphasise next to me; not from me. Goofy.

------------------
Take me out tonight
where there's music and there's people who are young and alive

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Beppie:
Why do g-strings cost the same as regular panties, when they only use about 1/3 of the material, if that?

That's what I'd like to know.

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

quote:
Originally posted by Shenzie2007:
'New-age peasants', as I call them, annoy me. I can hardly tell any of these girls apart!

Eugh, me too! All of those shirts look the same!!! Well, some of the ones at Target are realllly cute, but ya know...

------------------

DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My mum buys me peasant shirts and the like. I quite enjoy em, but my mother was the 1960's/70's feminist, and she always wore those and her cowgirl boots. You should have heard her when JC Penney's wouldn't let her use her card because HER account had been switched to my fathers name.

Speaking of which, WHY WHY WHY do women have to have their husbands permission to have a hysterectomy, whereas a man does NOT have to have his wife's permission for a vasectomy? Again, something that irritated my mother to no end and irritated me when she told me...

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

I think the peasant shirts are really cute, just not when *everybody* is wearing them. I hate when things go too mainstream!

I'd much rather buy them for a cheaper price at a 60s thrift shop or something. Then it'd have a story behind it.

------------------

MiSs_Behave
Activist
Member # 8605

Icon 4 posted      Profile for MiSs_Behave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-When people leave the lights on in rooms after they leave
-Arrogant bus drivers
-People who litter and aren't bothered to clean up their mess but are happy when others do
-The smell of mayonnaise!
-Mothers of young children who let their kids go crazy in public amenities
-people who walk into shops with no shoes
-Cloned teens. You know, the type of teenagers who all wear the same clothing label cause its "cool". When you see them they look basically the same and they drive me nuts! What happened to being an individual?!
-People who are afraid to be themselves so follow the crowd just to be "cool"
-Mothers who try to buy their kids affection by spending $$$ on expensive clothes and stuff
-people who have children and then just dump them infront of a TV with lollies so they can have their own time back
-I hate it when people buy pets and then just lock them inside a house or backyard all day, poor animals!
-MUSICAL ARTISTS WHO COPY OTHER GREAT SONGS OFF MUSICAL LEGENDS, PUTTING A NEW "BEAT" TO IT AND THEN REAPING THEIR OWN BENEFITS!
-When people pick on others who wear skimpy clothing or are overweight - what makes them so superior? These people are obviously having troubles and trying to find who they are, get to know themselves and experimenting.. so what.. sheesh...give them a break..
-Drinking out of a carton of milk! Gross!
-Bitchyness. Goddamn, I hate it.
-Boys who leave the seat up when they pee. UGHHHHHHHHHHHHH
-Overdone lipgloss - I swear it looks as if their lips are gonna slide off their face..
-Smoking
-Descrimination of any kind
-Underage drinking
-Idiotic parents who let their kids roam
-Meat (yea I'm vegetarian)
-When my computer freezes!
-Cold Showers
-Silky boxers, slippery
-Narrowminded people with black/white views
-Alcohol
-M&Ms - they're damn addictive
-Religious Happy Clappers who won't leave you alone if you don't wanna go to church
-Violence
-Name calling
-People who wrongfully accuse
-People who don't stick up for the underdog just cause they are too scared but are willing to unfairly bitch about people cause its easier

More later.. :P

------------------
Follow your inner moonlight, don't hide the MaDdNeSs...

Posts: 56 | From: Land of Oz | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MiSs_Behave
Activist
Member # 8605

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MiSs_Behave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got more!

-famous people like David Beckham who get paid about $90 000 per football game --> I know its cliched but there are people over the world dying from starvation and lack of warmth and shelter.. and this dork gets paid that much money for a FOOTBALL GAME!

-Parents who don't discuss sexuality or life in general with their kids and then get angry when their kid gets involved with drugs or gets pregnant .. grrr..

-Boys who spit in public. Ugh! I hate that.. its gross. You'd think they could swallow their saliva or just spit it out more discretely at a later time

------------------
Follow your inner moonlight, don't hide the MaDdNeSs...

Posts: 56 | From: Land of Oz | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~You*Know*Who~
Activist
Member # 1412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~You*Know*Who~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-People who talk on cell phones when they drive.
-Parents who give their kids to anyone, just cause they want to get piss drunk, never see their kids EVER, then refuse to give the other parent custody, becuase they want to controle them threw child support (Oh dont even get me started..-edited- I won't get you started, if you promise not to swear. Deal?)
-Seat-belt laws (click it or ticket): if I want to fly threw a windo to me untimely death thats MY damn buisness, not anybody elses.)
-Organized Religion.
-people who talk out their asses about things they know nothing about.
-alot of people in general
-Cold

[This message has been edited by BruinDan (edited 10-27-2002).]

Posts: 252 | From: somwhere, usa | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I see some irony in opposing cell phone use in cars, and irresponsible child care, AND seat belt laws.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS

Better living through Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V

[This message has been edited by Milke (edited 10-26-2002).]

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kite
Activist
Member # 5957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the difference is that in the first 2 cases you're directly involving people other than yourself. I think the seatbelt law should stay, though, but I can see You Know Who's point.
Posts: 127 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 3 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, if you really want to get technical, seatbelt laws tend to affect many more people than just the wearer. Those who choose not to wear seatbelts greatly increase their risk of dying in the event of a traffic accident. When this happens, the local police agency has to conduct a 6-hour Fatal Traffic Accident Investigation which can involve police, fire, coroner, and towing units. The route will have to be completely shut down for several hours in order for the very thorough investigation to be completed, inconveniencing thousands of motorists who are simply attempting to get to their destinations on-time.

Additionally, lawsuits are a fact of life these days, and are especially prevalent after fatality accidents. If the victim's grieving family files a lawsuit (and they tend to do so), the local authority will be forced to defend itself in a costly trial or pay a costly settlement. These costs are recouped through local taxpayers who will see their tax rates increased, etc etc etc.

Sometimes little rules that seem to be a pain in the neck on an personal level can actually be a far greater pain in the neck for the masses when they are not followed.

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three"

"Battery Stolen; Youth Charged"

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~You*Know*Who~
Activist
Member # 1412

What stupid thing will they be able to give you a ticket for next? running with scissors?

And im not talking about seat belt laws for children. I think all children should have to be buckeled up...they arent old enough to know the consequences, but if an ADULT can be trusted with a car, they can be trusted with that choice, end of story, nough said.

Sunset_Rose
Activist
Member # 10181

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Sunset_Rose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Top Three Pet Peeves:

1. Homophobia. Enough said.
2. Actually, all forms of prejudice and persecution.
3. People who smoke in public and around small children, because of the health risks.

Posts: 123 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

quote:
Originally posted by ~You*Know*Who~:
What stupid thing will they be able to give you a ticket for next? running with scissors?

Actually, since you mentioned it...if you're running with scissors in the direction of another person, and that person is in fear for their life, you've just committed assault with a deadly weapon, my friend. So don't be chasin' anyone with those things! heeheee

And you know, your seat belt stance is a pretty solid libertarian view. There are a lot of people who believe in that sort of individual freedom, that any person should be able to do what he or she wants to, so long as it does not hurt anyone else or step on anyone else's freedom. The entire state of New Hampshire was based on that. There is no state tax there, and it is the only state in the nation that has no seat belt law. (As a result, it forfeits millions of dollars of federal funding every year) The state motto is "Live Free or Die," which ought to tell you something. Ever considered moving?

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three"

"Battery Stolen; Youth Charged"

~You*Know*Who~
Activist
Member # 1412

I might just consider moving now that you mention it
tigress
Activist
Member # 9461

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tigress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oy, I HATE it when people do not do what they say they will. It's so irresponsible and not to mention rude. Erlack!

-tigress*

Posts: 119 | From: SoRoa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PlacidPixie
Neophyte
Member # 10486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PlacidPixie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's too much pet peeves of mine to list down but here's the main one:when someone's not concentrating on me when im speaking to him/her.God help me.
Posts: 6 | From: Malaysia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kite
Activist
Member # 5957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BruinDan:
Actually, if you really want to get technical, seatbelt laws tend to affect many more people than just the wearer.

Hey, I hadn't seen that reply! That's a really good point which I hadn't thought about. I wonder if one could find a "technical" answer in the same vein for every libertarian argument. I don't think I know enough of the workings of govermnent / order keeping to even begin to answer that. Hmmm, more reasons to have misgivings about libertarianism (is that even a word?)

Posts: 127 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shining eyes
Activist
Member # 8741

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shining eyes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
~when my dog licks her butt non-stop at 6 AM

~as some have already said, people who try too hard to be different

~popstars who are just too proud of thongs.

~and last, people who can't handle my sarcasm.

Posts: 94 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badly_behaved_badger
Activist
Member # 7728

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badly_behaved_badger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because all my other pet hates have been mentioned in this thread aready...I hate Wobble boards. Y'know the thing that Rolf Harris invented? There's a store cupboard with sheets of plastic in it in my tutor room (it's a woodwork room) and every time I'm in there, some bright spark goes picks one up and uses it as a wobble board. AARRRGGGHHH ! The noise just drives me crazy for some reason.
*Badger*

Posts: 388 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OmnipotentLover
Neophyte
Member # 10626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OmnipotentLover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*chemistry
*people who base relationships on material things
*people who are mean to teachers
*people who complain about thier bfs being gone too long, when they've only been gone for 5minutes
*telemarketers
*people who think being a homosexual or a bisexual is disturbing
*discrimination
*men who think they can get away with calling me "woman"
*men who hit on me.....when im with their best friend!!
*when my sister decided to turn off the computer, even though she knows that after i eat dinner im going to return to what i was working on. and what is worse she doesn't even save what i was working on!!
*when people steal my sayings. no..u didn't come up with "fweesh" i did!

i think im spent

------------------
i first feel from a fig
tree, then i fell in
love...seems like i do a
lot of falling....

Posts: 33 | From: A place where dreams end | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blond ambition
Activist
Member # 9051

Icon 8 posted      Profile for blond ambition     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh i have one!, it just royally upset me. I was at this other website with forums, and one of the ones i went into was the topic music, and the majority of the guys there were such A**holes!!!...i was reading one of the threads and i became discusted, they talk as if theyre opinions are facts and like they know everything about everything, when clearly they dont, they just needed something to do or talk about and be bitter about, and complain. Whatever they hear, oh it must be true!!!, so lets tell everyone and start rumors, and they can go around bashing people they dont even know, and talk like they know "how things really are"...it made me absolutly sick! I wanted to give them a peace of my mind, but i dont belong to that website i dont drive the type of car its intended for. Its actually a car website, but they have other forums there like movies and music.
I hate people that are like that! I want to smack them one.

Posts: 351 | From: US | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
her are some trends that seriously need to die a painful death:

Spelling things wrong on purpose because it's cool.
No, it's not cool. When you try to write "Why doesn't he like me?" as "Y duZZnt h3 Lyk3 m33h", you are not cool. You just look stupid. Your English teachers probably cry themselves to sleep every night. There I said it. You repeat offenders know who you are, so clean it up!

tube tops and trucker hats folks, this is tacky as hell.

really loud engines stupid rice rockets and their 95 horsepower rumbling engines. you can hear them miles away. they're a nuisance and they probably pollute like crazy. argh!

------------------
You can either be part of the problem or part of the solution, but in the end, being part of the problem is much more fun.
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this is teeny, but it really irks me to no end when people use the abbreviations "e.g." and "i.e." interchangeably. Latin lesson du jour:

e.g. = exempli gratia = "for the sake of an example". this would correctly be used to give an example of something. "She liked many fruits and veggies, e.g. carrots and apples."

i.e. = id est = "that is". used to redefine something. "An award was given to the best person in the room, i.e. me."

sorry, but it bugs me.

------------------
I'm never gonna know you now, but I'm gonna love you anyhow.

Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Hell, I get steamed when I see people use Latin at all.

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," PHOM

Beware the naked man who offereth you his pants.

logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Actually, if you really want to get technical, seatbelt laws tend to affect many more people than just the wearer.

And not just the local police - in a crash, someone who's not wearing a seatbelt can get hurled round the car, smashing into any other people in the car and potentially injuring or killing them.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
betty!
Neophyte
Member # 14325

Icon 1 posted      Profile for betty!     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i apologise to all dog lovers, im sure they have there good points but i just cant stand those horrible annoying small yappy dogs, my next door neighbour has them and lets them out at midnite and they burst out of the house screeching and yapping and it makes my blood boil! but not puppys puppys are cute.

and i hate it when my brother cuts the cheese at an angle so ur left with a useless stub at the end.

when people slow down on the motorway to look at an accident, mind ur own buisness!

when i told someone they take offence to easily and they took offence, lol whats that about?

when i accidently give ppl evils when im daydreaming, i dont mean too!

the person who keeps hacking in to my email inbox, leave me alone u freak!

wen i get a text message but have no money to text back agh!

Posts: 16 | From: england, the beautiful north! | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
but BD, Latin is awesome!

and I am a dork.

------------------
I'm never gonna know you now, but I'm gonna love you anyhow.

Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BruinDan,
qui gravis es nimium, potes hinc iam, lector, abire quo libet.

Taken with love from How to Insult, Abuse and Insinuate in Classical Latin.

Really, it isn't that bad!

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.