Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » little annoyances (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: little annoyances
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What are some of your pet peeves?

I wouldn't exactly call this a pet peeve, but I hate it when people say 'Just Be Yourself' as if there is some definition of you. Be me? Who's that?

I also can't stand when people make noise when you're trying to sleep (like my little brother blasting the TV at 6:45 on a Saturday!) or when adults smoke not noticing that there are children there (or simply not caring)

------------------
"Live a balanced life - Learn some and think some, and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some."

~~ Robert Fulghum, author ~~

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kechara
Neophyte
Member # 2259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kechara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my my my, where to begin.
Gas-powered lawn mowers and other such outdoor lawn maitenence equitment that's noisy. Why oh why do the neighbors use them exactly when I'm trying to listen to the Brahsm Requiem? it happened *again* today!
I cannot stand it when people mix up words. disinterested vs. uninterested, effect vs. affect, jealousy vs. envy, the list goes on and on. I also wish people wouldn't use "literaly" when they really just want to put emphasis on something. "This city is literaly growing by leaps and bounds" for example; what, are buildings growing feet and jumping into the city?
Any vestige of heterosexism (or just plain sexism) can cause me to cringe or start ranting. And the assumption that only monogamous dyads are desirable configurations for romantic and/or sexual relationships (rather than a particularly wide-spread one that happens to be quite good for many people). But that's not so much a pet peeve as somethign I really think is a problem. (now I have a little voice in the back of my mind saying that degenerating language where we loose the wonderful shades of meaning when we mis-use words is just as much of a problem. Will someone tell it to shut up, please?)

Posts: 33 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know, lilnerd. Just who am I supposed to be?

Among others, I can't stand cigarettes, period. I get pissed if someone is smoking withing 20 feet of me. Another one is using "hot", "sexy", or "foxy" to describe other people. I don't have any reason why I don't like those terms, I just find them deragatory, and I'll get incredibly offended if anyone uses them towards me.

I think I have a pet peeve that I share with every other experienced board user here-repeated questions, technique questions, and slang. When will they end?!

------------------
Give yourself over to absolute pleasure!! With protection, of course.

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I start with driving:
-I hate it when people make right turns on red when I'm already in the intersection. I'm right there, at least wait or speed up. I don't like to hear my brakes screech.
-Drivers who never let other drivers through. Just slow down and let them through, it takes 5 seconds.
-Drivers who purposely speed up just so I can't merge on I-95. Yes, let me run into the cement barricade when the merging lane ends.
-Drivers who weave in and out of traffic, thinking they'll get somewhere. I just shake my head when I pull up next to them at the red light.
-Drivers who speed through parking lots.
-Teenagers who walk in the middle of the road even though there's a sidewalk on either side. It gets even better when they form a chain 5 people wide and then curse and give you middle fingers when you honk for them to move (after slowing down behind them and they didn't hadn't moved aside).
-Drivers who tailgate. If you tailgate me, you'll end up going 15mph in a 45mph zone. I just slow down and they soon realize that riding on my rear bumper will not intimidate me into going any faster.

I could go on and on about driving but I'll quit before all of you guys think I'm psycho. =P

Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-People leaving the milk out of the fridge.

-Customers at the large department store in which I work who think that I am somehow responsible for everything that goes wrong.

-People thinking they can buy my friendship.

-Salespeople who keep on trying to sell me something even after I have said I will buy it.

-Cigarette smoke.

-Boy bands.

-Mouth ulcers.

-Not having money.

-Much of the time, people in general.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The credit card people who call me all the time. (I'm a college student, and have a much simplier way of going broke than credit cards...it's called tuition!)

The people at the department store I work at who think that prices are negotiable, that I know the price of every item we stock, that if we don't have an item it's my fault somehow, and that I'm responsible for the behavior of every other person in the store.

Cigarette smoke...especially when children are present.

25 year old's who manage to hit your car with theirs and then have their mom's call you the day after it happened to tell you to get your insurance to hurry up...basically all the other stupid people in the world too.

People who call you at 3am and then laugh and say it's the wrong number...although I've got that one figured out. I got caller id, so now I save the number and call them at 3am the next day.

~KittenGoddess

------------------
"Love is a fire. But whether it is going to warm your hearth or burn down your house, you can never tell."
~Joan Crawford

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've only got one.

My 12 year old brother.

He hits me.

He wakes me up at god knows what time.

He sneaks in my room and messes it up.

He is rude. To me, my parents. Everybody.

he is my pet peeve.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, Lin. You live with the embodiment of the pet peeve. Incredible.

That's a bit like living with the anti-Dalai Lama, eh?

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
muddcookie
Activist
Member # 2191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for muddcookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, i get annoyed so easy!! it's crazy, i have like no patience for anything.

what really drives me mad is when theirs no hot water in the shower!!! whoa that makes me like mad!

also being awakened by someone's voice, or a tv or some noise. crickets at night especially piss me off.

but the one thing that will get anyone angry (it's so funny to do though) is when you poke them in the head while their talking to you *lol*! you know like out of nowhere it's rude but it makes me smiiilleee

------------------
~*i climbed your arms and you pulled away new cavity moved into my heart today the more she sings the more it seems that now im through with you~*

Posts: 76 | From: ny | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mobile phones. don't even get me started.

people who don't give up their seats in the bus for the elderly or disabled passengers.

sport utility vehicles. why does everybody out here need to drive a tank?

rice rockets. and the whole lifestyle associated with them.

frat boys. collectively, i hate them.

smoking anything, tobacco and marijuana. get a clue, you look like hell when you're high.

Cosmo mag et al. Teen mall anti-culture. ferchrissakes, read a book, preferably one that's not based on a movie.

my phone. don't call me.

closed-mindedness. this is a call to all the so-called liberals who don't let the righties have their say (Evora Griffith, I'm looking straight at you! Senate needs to kick out your ASUC arse!), no matter how wrong they might be. you blaspheme the name of the FreeSpeech Movement.

Evora Griffith. She bugs me. She is an Associated Students of the Uni of California (ASUC) Senator. She championed the dismissal of another Senator for missing three Senate Meeting. Evora herself has missed 5 meetings, but wrote a bill to suspend the ASUC constitution to keep her arse in office. She has also obstructed the right to free speech of many student groups on campus because she did not agree with their views. Campus politics get me riled up as much as national politics.

------------------
Inspected by Number 26

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshleyInABottle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my list:
* canker sores (mouth ulcers)
* being interrupted
* my 19 year old cousin b/c he constantly torments me, sings really loud obscence self-made-up songs, etc.
* when I get the hiccups
* Valley girls (ya know, people who say "like" every 3rd word)
* being clammed up in my mom's car while both she and her boyfriend are smoking..and the windows are rolled up.
* my clothes smelling like my mom's cigarette smoke.

I'm sure I have more, but that's all I can remember

------------------
"I do what my rice krispies tell me to do"

Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
**People who park on the street. Makes me really nervous.
**People who live in my house who stay up until 5 AM (talking loudly!)then sleep (snoring loudly!) all day. Some of us are trying to sleep and get things done.
**People who touch my baby. I don't walk up and pinch your cheeks, do I? Thanks for giving him a nice batch of germs when you grab his hands. Now try and keep your skanky hand-germs out of his mouth. GRRR.
**People who'd touch my tummy when I was pregnant. Actually, people who invade my personal space bubble at all. If you're less than an arm's reach away from me, back the heck up.
**People who make fun of disabled people. I got detention so very often for fighting with people who harrassed my sister.
**Manufactured pop music.
**Dogs. (sorry dog people! They frighten me for no reason. I'm sure your dogs are wonderful.)
**Cows. (same as above.)
**Ditto horses.
**Smoking
**Those who pressure me to smoke. Yes, I used to. Yes, I quit. No, I'm not going to start again just because you hate to smoke alone.

There are many, many more, but that's enough for now.

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I need my conscience to keep watch over me
To protect me from myself
So I can wear honesty like a crown on my head
When I walk into the promised land

Aria of Mayhem

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
~*~Buffchick's top 30 list~*~

1)My gym teacher, she has no proof I was off campus during lunch.
2)People who lie to me face-2-face
3)Racist people
4)Britney Spears
5)Drug users
6)Immature freshmen, they make us mature ones look bad
7)People who stand behind me and read what I'm typing on the computer, man am I in trouble for that first one.
8)This stupid E key for sticking
9)Backstreet Boys
10)Granny underwear, bless the person who invented bikkini and thong undis
11)Zits
12)Homework
13)My little brother
14)My oldest sister
15)Ex boyfriends.
16)Rude people
17)Fake people
18)Mandy Moore
19)The security people for taking way my notebook, just because the word Princess is written in old english doesn't mean it's gang related.
20)Christian Music
21)East High School, are drama department is better
22)Survior
23)South High, don't be mad our football team beat you 60-0
24)Schools breaking into our audatorium and miss spelling their name on the seats.
25)People who think they are better then me.
26)Girls who wear clothes 3 sizes to small.
27)Girls who swing off guys when they have a g/f
28)Guys who think they can get any girl
29)Guys who flirt with you and whn you say you're not interested they keep flirting thinking it's cute.
30)Sterotypes

Haha I think thats it...I'm sure thers more

------------------
~*~Buff Chick~*~
*kiss*kiss* to my Karamel Kid!

"No one can stop you from who you love and the one love is who you love."

"Never frown because you never know when someone is falling in love with your smile."

Watch out! I'm a awful speller. *hehe*

[This message has been edited by CallMeBuffChick (edited 01-28-2001).]

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
31) The Superbowl halftime show. It would have been waaaay better if Britney Spears wasn't on it. Sh just ruined th who thing. But her hair was cute and I think I might start wearing a tube sock on my arm

------------------
~*~Buff Chick~*~
*kiss*kiss* to my Karamel Kid! :)

"No one can stop you from who you love and the one love is who you love."

"Never frown because you never know when someone is falling in love with your smile."

Watch out! I'm a awful speller. *hehe*

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Miz S. You wana come see him some time?

And Gumdrop...mobile phones are such an issue in Singapore. And now everyone has got their dumb phones tuned to the Mission Impossible tune, the Star Wars tune. Every tune youc an think of. You wouldn't want to watch a movie in Singapore. Not only do these handphones have sound, they have lights.

------------------
Money Saver Tip:Don't waste money on expensive, tawdry wiglets. Collect all the hair you shave off your legs, armpits and eyebrows for 6 months and glue carefully onto an Alice band. Voila Instant luxurious tresses - Kaz Cooke

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not too many things actually bug me, but here are a few

*My boyfriends little sister. She's in my grade and she'll come watch tv with us and she comments on everything I just wish she would shut up.
*when people squeeze the toothpaste in the middle of the tube
*when my mom blames me for loosing things she misplaced
*BRACES (i don't have them anymore, but my lil sis just got em)
*when people empty out a milk carton and then put it back in the fridge.

there's lots more but those are the big ones.

Smiles

Posts: 286 | From: Ames, IA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NASTY PEOPLE AT THE SUPERMARKET!!!! I really dont like when they come into my lane and hound me because THEY were having a bad day!!!! arggg sheesh!!!! I have a different view on old people now!!!!! Not all old people just some, I love my gamma and gampa, and my boyfriends. But I never knew that old people could be so....annoying sometimes...I always thought they were sweet little innocent people with wrinkly skin...

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
Its the best feeling in the world to know that somebody loves you more then anything in the world! *~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, let's see. First of all I hate when you pull into a parking lot looking for somewhere to park and there's some really dumb person pulled in sideways accross two parking spaces. and they're usually those kind of people who ultimately think their car is the coolest thing in the world.

~Secondly, I can't stand it when I'm sitting in the caffetaria with my friends and they're sitting there eating a pretzel rod or half a cookie cause they think there fat! Give it a rest, they are all like five pounds less than I am and I eat a normal lunch.

~Thirdly, the thing I can't stand the most is when I'm in the middle of a conversation, telling someone about a new guy I like or something really exciting that happened to me, and their staring off in another direction and they suddenly cut right in with something stupid like "I can't believe she wore that," or "he needs a nose job." My friends do that all the time, and it ticks me off so bad- can't they just listen to my story first? Is hearing about the quarter back's noise job THAT important?

------------------
*^Lucky^*
"We have to pause and ask ourselves: how much clean air do we need?"~ Lee Iococca
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today."
"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
teehee, well I thought I'd a share couple more since I started the thread and have a load....yours reminded me of summore o mine

*When your feeling down in the dumps and someone says 'Stop Feeling Sorry for Yourself!' Makes me wanna cry!
*In movies (or real life!), when two people are looking for one another and they drive RIGHT pass eachother. GRRRRR!!
*Homework & ESSAY's (Especially "busy work")
*Shows that don't have laughter....(yes, I'm talkin' bout the laugh track) I guess it's just cuz I'm so used to it, but I know that whenever I watch Talk Soup it just annoys the heck outta me!
*When the teacher doesn't erase the entire board and leaves little streaks and just writes over it

------------------
"Live a balanced life - Learn some and think some, and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some."
~~ Robert Fulghum, author ~~

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for reminding me. I hate cell phones.

I hate it when I'm sitting in the bookstore, staring blankly at my homework, and then a cell phone rings. And of course they can't pick it up right away, they want it to ring 6 times so the whole place knows how cool they are because they have a cell phone. Of course it'll ring 2 minutes later and they won't pick up for another 5 rings.

Then there are those who talk really loudly into their phones. Yes, just scream so Cape Hope can hear you, everyone around you appreciates it greatly. And I can't forget the people who yap on the phone in restaurants. Turn the thing off, you're at dinner. Or at least take it outside so no one else has to listen.

The best is when people are driving and on the phone at the same time. It makes me feel so much safer. They brake every 5 seconds and then swerve a bit. I don't care how great of a driver you claim to be, talking and driving is just not safe for anyone. People in big SUVs and cell phones...grrr. And of course, the dude on a cell phone, going 40 mph in the center lane of the interstate. How lovely.

This is so horrible. I will have about 17 replies for this thread. I'm not such a people-lover, am I? I shall become a recluse, but then loneliness would annoy me.

Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
even though i have a mobile phone now, that doesn't mean i have to like it.

add to my list:

ppl who pee on the sidewalk in front of my apartment complex

exorbitant rent (corollary: the exorbitant cost of living in the Bay Area)

potential employers who have a problem with my hair color

Berkeley Bowl's crappy hours

the mess on my dinner table -- if only i could clean it up...

jobs listings i could have qualified for last year, but are now amended to require PhDs

my impending yuppiedom

------------------
"I am so smart, I am so smart, s-m-r-t....I mean s-m-A-r-t." Homer J. Simpson
"Mmm ... floor pie!" Homer J. Simpson

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
eeek.

-posers. 'nuff said.
-drug users. yes, marijuana is an illegal drug.
-"anti-school spirit people." you're annoying. go away.
-people who label themselves "princess", "angel", "cutie", "devil" or anything egotistical.

more later! i'm in a good mood right now.

------------------
That's Mrs. Rivers Cuomo to you. :)

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My pet peeve is someone next door who insists on parking their car just over the edge of my driveway, far enough so that I can't get into mine. That one drives me insane.

Toll booths - I just love breaking my trip 4 times to breath in the fumes of a million other cars.

People asking us (constantly, like 2000 times a day) "Have you set a wedding date yet?" Hell, we've only gotten informally engaged, we'll do the rest of it when we're ready!

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zanney:
Hell, we've only gotten informally engaged, we'll do the rest of it when we're ready!

I didn't know you were engaged! Congrats!!!

------------------

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sachie
Activist
Member # 9895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sachie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
-people that think that just because i'm gay i am attracted to any girl i come across.
-actually, homophobia in general.
-frat boys.
-avril lavigne.
-people who try too hard to be different.

------------------
libido ergo sum.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shenzie2007
Activist
Member # 9027

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shenzie2007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'New-age peasants', as I call them, annoy me. I can hardly tell any of these girls apart! And then there's their male counterpart, the 'wanna-be evil twin of a backstreet boy' look.

Jerks who throw tuna at me (or others for that matter.) Someone did that to me just yesterday at lunch.

Homophobia and biphobia.

Pop music.

Hearing others singing my favorite songs badly. It puts me off the song.

The girls in my gym class. I enter the locker rooms to change and it seems like half of them scream and squeal and say, 'Eeeek! It's looking at meee!!!'

Shedding so many freedoms for the sake of school. (I lose sleep over not wanting to break the rules!)

Living so far from my girlfiend.

------------------
"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'Lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn. I! I! Cthulhu fhtagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah-nagl fhtagn! -- Text found embedded deep within the code of Windows 95. It explains much."

[This message has been edited by Shenzie2007 (edited 09-10-2002).]

Posts: 73 | From: dallas, texas, usa | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Daydreamer24:
I didn't know you were engaged! Congrats!!!

Hey Deanna, thanks!

We've known each other forever, and always known we would be marrying each other. Even though I'm young (18 tomorrow, whoo-hoo!) the time just feels right. But we don't know when the actual wedding will happen. We're not in a big hurry.

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 7 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Happy birthday Roseanne! Hope it's just wonderful.
Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
witch_baby
Neophyte
Member # 9911

Icon 8 posted      Profile for witch_baby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok... my main pet peeve is people who talk like they're out to make the world a better place, but *all* they do is talk.

My other main peeve is people who buy brand names just to look cool, even tho they KNOW they are made by some of the worst exploiters of 3rd world countries. Not that they seem to give a <BLEEP>.

grr. Ok, I'm getting off my soapbox before this gets ugly.

------------------
Once upon an time...?
What time are we upon and where do I belong?

Posts: 21 | From: Longmont, CO, USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ookuotoe:
Happy birthday Roseanne! Hope it's just wonderful.

Aww, thanks ookuotoe!

Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just thought of another major pet peeve of mine, that happened to me again this morning:

* People always commenting on my accent, or asking me to "say something" so they can hear the accent.

It drives me positively insane, because while I admit that I have a rather odd, mixed accent, it's not, by any means, who I am, and I wish people would just let it go.

[This message has been edited by Zanney (edited 09-12-2002).]

Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

quote:

* People always commenting on my accent, or asking me to "say something" so they can hear the accent.

Your American accent?
You know what I've always wondered?? You know how people from different countries sound? Like, just the accent of one country in general? I always wonder what us American's sounds like!!! It sounds SO normal and straight to us but I guess I'll never know! Happy belated b-day! My Grandma's is Sept. 11, also.

------------------

Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Deanna!

Well, my accent is not properly American, which is probably why I get so many comments on it.

It is a very screwed-up mixture of Australian and American (when I'm in the US I apparently have an "Aussie" accent, and when in Australia I have a supposedly American one), and unfortunately people are fascinated by it. I can understand that, but aaargh!

[This message has been edited by Zanney (edited 09-12-2002).]

Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Americans from different parts of the country sound different. Californians sound quite normal (to me, and I'm in SW Ontario, with a Brit background if that helps any), my friend from Washington sounds quite accented, and Texans just sound downright funny (hearing anyone say 'howdy' amuses me, that's probably why). I guess it all depends on perspective.

------------------
I swear I go blind every time I'm by your side . . .

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

It is a very screwed-up mixture of Australian and American (when I'm in the US I apparently have an "Aussie" accent, and when in Australia I have a supposedly American one), and unfortunately people are fascinated by it. I can understand that, but aaargh!

My linguistics lecturer from last year had an accent like that- she grew up in Australia, but has spent twenty years of her adult life in California. It was pretty neat.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.