Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » What do you need?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What do you need?
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, right now, I'm working on some major redesign and refabbing of the site for mid-February (don't worry, you'll still feel right at home).

That given, what AREN'T y'all finding at the site (not the boards, the SITE) that you feel you need in regards to sexuality or relationship information?

What else do you want here and what would it make your whole day to see?

Give it up.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pittied Fool
Neophyte
Member # 758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pittied Fool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Strictly to butt in out of nowhere; It seems like the site is too strongly aimed at females. When I first came here, I was afraid to post. I figure a lot of guys are. It has the look, feel, and... it just feels like it's not male-friendly.

I don't know what to do to change that. Maybe nothing needs to be changed. Maybe you just need more positive male posts... but still... Idunno.

But the info is good. My friend had a sex question, I came here, everything was easy to find, and I got to answer his question via Scarleteen.

Posts: 32 | From: Okla Homie | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PF, have you checked out the site recently? It's received a big makeover. Very nifty stuff and oriented for everyone. New sections, different colors. Check it again here

------------------
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
y'know, as much as I love the design here, I think Pittied Fool has a point -- it's a bit girly around here (which is fine by me, but I can sympathize with an adolescent male who fears visiting websites done up in pastels).

When i do websites, i tend to use gender-neutral colors like dark blues, greys, red, whites and greens. The last new color scheme I used was slate blue-grey and sky blue with grey and white text.

Think the Sexperts can get a male to join the crew? I know the lot of us gals try to answer as objectively as we can, but I know I for one am slightly biased as a sister

------------------
Kill your TV! And while you're at it, your mobile phone, too.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, for starters, bear in mind that Hanne and I are female. Most of the questions and participation at the site are from girls, and have been from the get-go. I don't think that's because the site is unfriendly to men, it's because overall, young men aren't as interested in this sort of sex education overall, based on what happens in schools and on the web at large.

Finidng another staffer of any gender willing to spend the sort of time here Hanne and I do for nothing is nigh unto impossible. Finding a male one is even more so -- the field of sex education is simply very dominated by women.

I also don't tend to attach gender values to colors. I find that more than a bit silly. There are lots of colors here, and I've been doing web design professionally for a myriad of companies for three years at this point, and we do what works best for us. Realize too that stark colors tend to seem less benign than softer ones, and a softer palatte tends to make sex ed like this less threatening to most people.

In any event, I'm not sure quite what to tell you. We can only do so much, and when it comes to more male participation, that simply isn't something within our control.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
miz s, i love the new site! it looks wonderful!

but, i noticed one thing. if you go to the front/maine page, www.scarleteen.com, there doesn't seem to be a link to the boards right there. maybe i just didn't find it or something? anyway, i have to click on one of the buttons on the left, and then once i'm in one of those sections there's a "talk" button up top. it's a pain, but maybe i'm missing something. if not, maybe it would help to put a link to the boards on the front page.

em

------------------
Love is a word that is constantly heard
Hate is a word that is not.
Love, I am told, is more precious than gold.
Love, I have read, is hot.
But hate is the verb that to me is superb,
And love but a drug on the mart.
Any kiddie in school can love like a fool,
But hating, my boy, is an art.
-Ogden Nash

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Actually, em, we did that on purpose because so many new board users were coming to the boards and never bothering to read the site, thus asking things when the info was right there.

The link to the boards is in the lower right hand corner, and the best thing to do is just to bookmark the board front page. That's what I've always done, anyway.

Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Em...

check this out.
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum19/HTML/000041.html

This is why the link to the boards aren't at all that obvious. But now that you have found it, just bookmark it.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, i feel really stupid now because i just found the frint-page link, and i'll just bookmark the board page anyway. and that's a smart idea that you had! it's true, lots of people seemed to be ignoring the articles. i had read everything on the site by the time i got enough guts to post on the board. but i seemed to be unique.

em

------------------
Love is a word that is constantly heard
Hate is a word that is not.
Love, I am told, is more precious than gold.
Love, I have read, is hot.
But hate is the verb that to me is superb,
And love but a drug on the mart.
Any kiddie in school can love like a fool,
But hating, my boy, is an art.
-Ogden Nash

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hmmmm what do I want??? oh I want a shopping spree, and I want a car and OHOHH I want a life time supply of peanut M&M's. Hmmmm what else do I want....??? lol j.k

I think the website is great....

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer, but wish we didn't" -Erica Jong<~~~no thats not me :)

*~*Scarleteen Advocate*~*

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the site is wonderful! If you were thinking of doing something extra, though, I think it'd be wonderful to have a self-help forum where people can post ways they help themself during the "terrible teenage times" and have other people post ideas to help them. People could talk about how they helped themselves through a tough time and the outcome and maybe give other's ideas to help themselves. I've read a lot of the messages that people have written, and almost everyone on these boards is struggling in one way or another. I just think it'd be good to process ideas, share success stories, and such to help people on their path to whereve they want to go. What do you guys think? Oh, and is it just me, or are the clocks an hour off? Maybe it's just my time zone... I don't know. Anyhow, I hope you are all having a good day! Take care
Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, ok... I just realized that there's a "Support group section". LOL. I've known it's been there, I guess I just forgot about it or something. Sorry! But I DO think I was going somewhere with that success story thing. People can talk about how they've helped themselves and gotten through tough times. That'd give people hope and ideas. And I'm sure that 5 min. later I'll run across a forum like that. But I DID go through all the forums before I posted this time to make sure I wouldn't make the same mistake.!
Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.