Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Knucle Cracking and other Uckies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Knucle Cracking and other Uckies
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was sitting here, cracking my knuckles as usual, and I wondered-does anyone else do this? I've always heard people say it's bad for you, but do any of you know exactly why? And what makes the cracking sound?

Also, does anyone else have any other bad habits? I sucked my thumb as a baby, and my teeth paid with braces .

------------------
Mens' magazines feature pictures of naked women. Womens' magazines feature picture of naked women. This is beacuse the female body is beautiful and delicate, while the male body is lumpy and hairy and should not be seen by the light of day.

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i am fidgety. i bounce my knees a lot when i sit. i also grind my teeth, which is killing my jaw.

------------------
Someday, I will have a sexy car...a very...sexy...car!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Haha. I am the same Gumdrop. I shake my legs alot and cannot sit still. My dad gets so pissed.

Coz in Chinese culture, as you would probably know Gumdrop, shaking your legs means shaking all your good luck away.

But I've never tried to crack my knuckles. It always hurts and someone once said I could dislocate my fingers coz it loosens the joints. Never seen it happen but that was the reason I never started.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I HATE when people crack their knuckles!! I've heard that it screws up the little cushion type things you have in b/w your bones and causes arthritis. I don't know tho, that's only what i heard!

I'm extremely jittery tho! It's hard for me to sit still sometimes b/c i always have to have some part of me moving. I used to bite my nails .. but i've stopped that, pretty much. And i used to smoke (a bad habit) but i've stopped that too. I think i'm just a jitterbug

~ Smurfy

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I crack my knuckles all the time. Not only that, I can also crack my neck, back, arms, knees, and feet! I've read opposing articles on the subject; some say cracking your knuckles can lead to arthritis, others say that is a complete myth. Whether it is true or not, I still do it....It's a habit! :/

------------------
http://beam.to/anode2ryan *My Ryan Page*
“the safest sex is no sex but if you gunna have sex wear a latex”- Teck $

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Voostra
Neophyte
Member # 2049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Voostra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here, found this online:

"The process by which joints produce a 'cracking' sound when manipulated is called cavitation.

Gasses, principally Nitrogen, are a normal component of the synovial fluid which lubricates all the movable joints of our body (namely fingers, wrists, elbows,
shoulders, hips, knees, ankles, toes, and the spine). As we manipulate a joint by physically stretching the connective tissue capsule surrounding it we allow the
dissolved gasses to rapidly escape from solution, forming a small bubble that bursts at the right moment, producing the 'pop' sound we are all familiar with. The
phenomenon is quite similar to opening a can of soda and releasing the carbon dioxide dissolved in the liquid.

After a short period of time, the nitrogen is resorbed into the synovial fluid and we can again 'pop' the joint (this explains the time lag). The reason it feels different
in other joint"

I dunno, I used to suck my thumb, and succesfully stopped that, but know I bite my nails. I must have some kind of oral fixation.

Posts: 32 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a knuckle-cracker and a hair-chewer. I'd almost forgotten about the hair-chewing thing until a little while ago when it was finally long enough to reach my mouth again! I knew there was a reason I cut it..

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I need my conscience to keep watch over me
To protect me from myself
So I can wear honesty like a crown on my head
When I walk into the promised land

Aria of Mayhem

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
lin: shaking all the luck away? that'll explain why it bugs my dad so much. sometimes, he'll lightly swat my ankle with the newspaper or something.

but he gave me some anti-inflammatory medication to ease my hurting jaw.

------------------
Someday, I will have a sexy car...a very...sexy...car!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phsygnosis
Activist
Member # 2226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phsygnosis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am an everything cracker. Back, arms, legs, fingers, toes and about every other bone. It is coused by air (im not sure what kind of gas but I don't believe it is Oxygen) mixing with this fluid in your joints. Then you crack it and it pops.

-Phsygnosis

Posts: 88 | From: Canton, Ohio, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fuzzhead29
Activist
Member # 532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fuzzhead29     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bite my nails/cuticles/fingertips. Looking at my hands during a stressful time in my life makes manicurists cry. I also jiggle my right leg, bite my lips, drum my fingers, and probably do about a trillion other things that I don't even notice.

I guess I'm just a nervous person.

Posts: 50 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ningrrl
Activist
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ningrrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also bite my fingers and around them. I also pick and bite at my bottom lip. (That's the worst.) I pop my knuckles as well.

------------------

shedding skin sucumb defeat
this machine is obsolete

Posts: 124 | From: Lucasville, OH, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh don't you hate that? My lips get so incredibly dry during the winter, and I can feel the top surface peeling-so I "help" it along by biting it off . Not only does it hurt like Hell, but my lip gets all red and sore. Ouch. I wish they had SUPER medicated chapstick!

------------------
Mens' magazines feature pictures of naked women. Womens' magazines feature picture of naked women. This is beacuse the female body is beautiful and delicate, while the male body is lumpy and hairy and should not be seen by the light of day.

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JBelle
Neophyte
Member # 2286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JBelle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I play with my earrings and my earlobes...my friends all think I'm weird but I reminded my friend that she plays with her eyelashes! She shut up pretty quickly!
Posts: 16 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.