Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » the telephone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: the telephone
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering what someone of you people talk on the phone about. I was asking this because when me and my honey are done talking about our day we never seem to find anything to talk about so end up sitting there listening to each breathe. It's kind of annoying but I do enjoy feeling the connection I know I'm weird but it's like they're with you just not physicly. But anyways I need some help on this so I'd really love it if you wonderful would reply.

------------------
~*~Buff Chick~*~
*kiss*kiss* to my Karamel Kid Duane! :)

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshleyInABottle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me and my boyfriend also just sit around and listen to each other breathe! I wonder if that's a common thing among couples..or do they just get off the phone when they realize they have nothing to talk about? I dunno about everyone else, but I'd much rather listen to my bf breathe..if I have nothing else to do. lol.

------------------
"I do what my rice krispies tell me to do"

Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CallMeBuffChick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lol! It's very pleasing to listen to them breathe. Sometimes when it's like 3 o'clock in the morning one of us ends up falling asleep because we just don't wanna get off the phone.

------------------
~*~Buff Chick~*~
*kiss*kiss* to my Karamel Kid Duane! :)

Posts: 433 | From: Wichita, Ks | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femalepleaser
Activist
Member # 637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Femalepleaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That happens to me also. Really, it all depends on the mood from the both of you...if your in a good mood, you tend to bring up situations and talk about things that happened to you way back when. Sometimes its best to watch the same channel on t.v. if you have nothing to say or comment on what your watching and you can have her switch it on that channel and talk about that and then you can also bring other ideas to talk about.
Posts: 86 | From: CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i tend to ask really dumb questions.... like "what type of toothpaste to you use?" "boxers or briefs?" that usually gets him wondering why/how that popped up into your head and it can fill in the gaps with those awkward moments on the fone. Speaking of the phone....do most guys HATE talking on it unless they have something important to say ??(i don't mean boyfriends-- just a guy)because this guy told me that he'd much rather talk online because he's not a good speaker. I think he was just being a jerk, but who knows?

------------------
http://beam.to/anode2ryan *My Ryan Page*
“the safest sex is no sex but if you gunna have sex wear a latex”- Teck $

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well ... the last time i talked to my bf on the phone was last nite, and i kind of asked him a really stupid question that totally blew him away ...

I was looking around the 'ask alice' website and there was a question about guys who pee sitting down. So i asked him which he preferred; to pee sitting or standing. He answered me and then was just silent for a few seconds and asked me where i came up w/ such a stupid question lol It usually ends up being something like that ... Just things i happen to be thinking about at the time!

~ Smurfy

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a problem with phones. I don't like to use them at all. If only I knew why .

So when (if) I talk to my partner on the phone, nothing really happens. They'll talk, I'll listen and offer an occasional "yea...". If I explain it to them first they don't seem to have a problem.

But it's different when I talk to my friends-we talk about anything you can think of. Sometimes I know wayyy more than I want to . But mot of our topics are about school-grades, teahcers, etc- or gossip, or clothes and ish.

------------------
Mens' magazines feature pictures of naked women. Womens' magazines feature picture of naked women. This is beacuse the female body is beautiful and delicate, while the male body is lumpy and hairy and should not be seen by the light of day.

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're all welcome to bark at me for saying this if you like, okay?

But I can't help but wonder why you don't have anything to talk about with your partners or people you're dating, on the phone or otherwise. I find it depressing (being honest) to think that discussing television is all you might find in common or want to talk about.

I suppose I'm simply wondering how one has a partner to whom they cannot talk with at least as much interest and candor as a friend.

(Or maybe I'm wondering why anyone would call someone on the phone if they had nothing to talk about?)

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i hate my telephone. i unplug it several times a week. and a lot of the time, i simply don't answer it.

anyway, when i do use the phone, my guy and i like to talk about politics, travel, movies, music, school, etc.

------------------
Someday, I will have a sexy car...a very...sexy...car!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would you want to sit on the phone and listen to the other person breathe? That doesn't make any sense to me. I think it's really bad if you're on the phone with your partner and all you here is silence. Shouldn't a warning bell go off? "Oh crappers, we have nothing to talk about. So what's this relationship all about?" But hey, maybe that's just me.

My boyfriend and I talk to each other alot. We don't talk all the time because silence is uncomfortable or that we think what we have to say is earth-shattering but rather, we just like to talk and listen to each other. I find him quite interesting .

I'm not buying the whole "breathing as a form of connection" thing. Tantric sex (if I remember correctly), maybe. Phone convo, no no bad bad. I never went through the telephone-glued-to-my-ear phase but come on.... okay I think I'll leave this topic alone before I really rant .

Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarryRedhead
Activist
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarryRedhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have phone phobia, not when people call me, but I have a BIG problem calling people! It makes me nervous because I once called my friend during dinner and her dad threw a fit and told me I was rude! That's off topic.....

I would feel sooo uncomfortable if I had nothing to talk to my boyfriend about. My boyfriend and I talk about EVERYTHING! It probably helps that we were best friends before we became romantically involved, but we just talk about silly stuff, important things, issues, friends, music, life.....everything, just depends on our moods. I would much rather talk to him in person, but the phone is okay, he says I always make him laugh, he does the same for me. :::sigh::: I can't wait to talk to him tonight!

------------------
}{*Starry Ali*}{
"You flicker. And you're beautiful. You glow inside my head. You hold me hypnotized, I'm mesmerized..."
My Webpage-Alisons Life

Posts: 367 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My boyfriend and I talk about everything, we talk about work, sports, school, what were gonna do the next day.
Sometimes there is nothing to talk about, so we will sit on the phone and say, 'I love you more' and the other one will say 'NO I love you more' lol...Good times, Good times.

But most of the time we always have something to talk about, unless one of us is in a bad mood. (thats not that often thou).

------------------
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~
*~*~12/3/99*~*~*
"The first time I saw you, I knew that I would fall for you, & now that were together, our love will last forever!!" -By: The person I LOVE MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THIS WORLD!!

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, we talk about all kinds of rubbish. From what we did at sch/work, movies, family to plain rubbish.

I like to snuggle on my bed and just tell him I love him. Can't even explain it. We just talk about everything and anything. I like to tell him the latest gossip, the way I do to my girlfriends.

But extracting any gossip from him takes years coz he always forgets anything interesting he heard and by the time he remembers, it is not interesting anymore.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

I agree with some of you with whats the point of calling if you're not going to talk. I don't think we're phone people because we just talk and talk in person. But when we just sit there on the phone things start to get alittle fun because we just ask each other silly question and ask each other what we're thinking. It can get pretty interesting at times.

------------------
~*~Buff Chick~*~
*kiss*kiss* to my Karamel Kid Duane!

[This message has been edited by CallMeBuffChick (edited 12-28-2000).]

ThisGuy
Activist
Member # 968

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ThisGuy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have something of a phobia lately with answering the phone. I have to answer these utterly stupid tech support calls at work, and now even thinking of the phone makes me break out in a cold sweat.

Phone bring paaaaaaain!

------------------
Ask not why dogs sniff each others butts...
Ask instead why you do not!

Posts: 915 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Being in a long distance relationship (we are on different continents), the phone is (next to eMailing) the main means of communication between my partner and me. We have plenty of things that we discuss on the phone...what we did during the day, what we've been thinking about, what's been happening...the usual stuff. We rarely get off the phone after less than an hour or so.
However, what is really annoying is that it *is* difficult to *only* or *mostly* have the phone. Sometimes we're tired and not in the mood to talk, sometimes I don't want to *ruin* his mood when I am feeling low, plus it's pretty annoying to be 10 time zones apart - we can never tell each other bedtime stories and then both doze off and you never know in what situation you catch the other one. It's quite sad, I reckon. Plus he finds it difficult to only connect via the phone...he prefers the face to face thing (but then - who doesn't?)
However, when we're together, we have lots to talk about.
Gals - how come you have nothing to talk about with your partner?? Strange...strange...

Anyway.....I must say I would prefer living without a phone being the third partner in my relationship. Really. Grrrrrr.

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.
Go inside Alaska's head...

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 12-31-2000).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Bastard
Neophyte
Member # 1933

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Bastard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
your not the only one me and my b/f sits on the phone listening to eachother breathe too. Once in awhile he'll ask me am I ok or whats wrong. But it depends on the mood and time because if u guys did something that you can talk about or have memories about something ya'll can talk to days. But sometimes it does get annoyin when neither one of us is talking.

------------------
Lady Bastard

Posts: 8 | From: Brooklyn N.y | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kechara
Neophyte
Member # 2259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kechara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I so rarely talk to my boyfrined on the phone... I think the last time was about 11 monts ago, two or so weeks after we first became Involved with each other.this is because we both have computers in our rooms and homa LANs with cable modems and thus are online 24/7 (given a great doeal of this we've marked ourselves away, but we're generaly online and *there* all evening, every evening.) the time when we talked on the phone, it was because his computer was broken. We tied up our phone lines for a good 6 hours talking fairly nonstop about all manner of things. nowadays, we talk about what happened during our days, all kinds of random things. or we fill up the instant message box with [cuddles] and [hugs] and [snuggles] and whatnot. not as good as the real thing, but hey. ;-) We used to talk about the Significant Things In Life, but after a year don't have great volumes of things like that to find out about each other- they're there, lots of things, but thery'e more likely to come up by accident through some random silly comment. with my girlfriend, on the other hand, we talk more by phone (she's not online much. and she has a cell phone wtih unlimited long distance). We talk mostly exactly like we did before we got Involved- about random philisophical things, about good books we've read, about how Star Trek: Voyager is one big orgy just waiting to happen :P She's pretty much the only person I talk to on the phone much- all my other friends either go to my school or online with great regularity. I hate calling people up on the phone, and I hate answering the phone. I've been like that as long as I can remember.
Posts: 33 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
phsygnosis
Activist
Member # 2226

Icon 1 posted      Profile for phsygnosis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me and my girlfriend will always fall asleep listing to each other breath. I think of it as being right nest to her. We do have phone sex alot. That seems to keep us very occupied. HeHe Try it.

-Phsygnosis

Posts: 88 | From: Canton, Ohio, USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ANNEN
Neophyte
Member # 469

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ANNEN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I don't think my boyfriend and I ever really run out of things to say, atleast I don't recall. From day one we had a million things to say to each other. As for ideas about what you could talk about... hmm... just bring up "what if" situations. I think that works because you can get silly or serious or anything else you wanna be. The first night that my boyfriend and I spent hours on the phone (this was before when we had only known each other for 2 months and hadn't really admitted that we liked each other yet) we talked about stupid stuff like "what type of underwear do you prefer" and "where do you think would be the weirdest place to have sex" or "what do you want your future house to look like". Questions like that got us talking for atleast 20 mins. for each. Well, that's my input for you. Hope it helps!!!
Posts: 9 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucky1402
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucky1402     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really like talking on the phone. When my boyfriend (in past years) would call I would never have anything to say, since we would talk about everything we needed to talk about in school. So basically we would just sit there for awhile and go "so...." and "hmmmm." Or else my quick thinking brain would come up with stupid questions to ask to keep him occupied.

------------------
*^Lucky^*
"We have to pause and ask ourselves: how much clean air do we need?"~ Lee Iococca
"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today."
"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night."

Posts: 492 | From: Michigan | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CallMeBuffChick
Activist
Member # 2101

phsygnosis:Yes phone sex is lots of fun. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it and Lucky your phone convos sound to much like ours. "Um...so...uh...hello...what's up?So..." yep thats us. How boring. But in person we just can't shut up!

------------------
~*~Buff Chick~*~
*kiss*kiss* to my Karamel Kid! :)

Watch out! I'm a awful speller. *hehe*

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.