Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Can you believe the nerve?...........

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can you believe the nerve?...........
Brandy
Activist
Member # 250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brandy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is going to be a very controversal topic, but I had to bring it up because it really touched a nerve. If this upsets anyone, please forgive me, that was not the intent of this post.

I was on another message board today, (I know, I'm bad!) and I came across a topic written by a guy titled "It's a man's world, Deal with it!" In this post, This guy went on to say that if women want to make it in this world, we will only do so by serving men. We are to dress slutty, become hookers, and stop our whinning. He believes that behind every sucsessful women is a slutty past, and the only we make money is by being whores. According to him, this is the only way for women to get ahead in a society dominated by men. I was absolutley outraged by this.

What suprised me more after reading it, is that some posters actually agreed with him. (and they weren't all guys either). I thought that our society has overcome that whole "men are dominant" thing. I understand that there are people out there who still belive that, but I can't believe that this guy can look at a female, and see her as being his servant rather than his equal.

Anyways, just needed to vent a little. Anyone have any comments about this?

------------------
Brandy :)

Posts: 46 | From: Winnepeg, MB, Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can understand being outraged. Yes. This slightly angers me. I was raised with the "men and women are equal" thing. I believe it. When women do something great, it's only given slight media coverage. But when a woman uses her body in a socially accepted degrading manner, such as in the Clinton/Lewinsky scandal, it gets headlines and everything.

And hey. Look at the major hip hop videos. I'm sorry, but thats not something I want to see. And everywhere I turn, its there.

I guess the proper thing to do would be to prove said man wrong. Fortunatly, I know plenty of men who object. So, they would back up me and all the other women who decide to make a good name for themselves.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karina582
Neophyte
Member # 2181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karina582     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sigh. I wonder if the guy has a girlfriend-cause if he does, I really feel for her...

------------------

quote:
"Mistakes are lessons of wisdom"-Mariott Hotel Freeway Sign

Posts: 38 | From: Irvine, CA USA | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troublemaka
Activist
Member # 543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troublemaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its sad to think that some men still live in the dark ages, and that they have there heads so faar up there *** they cant tell which way they're going. (sigh) some poeple are so insercure they need someone to beat on. i geuss this guy was way insercure to pick on a whole sex to make himself feel better.

------------------
dont frown, u never know whos falling in love with ur smile~!~

Posts: 92 | From: Somewere over the rainbow | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, hells bloody bells, if all women were prostitutes, at least we'd finally net salaries equivalent to or higher than most mens salaries, now wouldn't we?

Somebody's got the fear and misogyny down to a science, but he isn't so hot with the math.

I do have to add that there are lots of people who think this way, and some of women who have similar feelings about men. It's the pitiiful product of what happens in a world where most only understand personal power as meaning power OVER, rather than power from within.

You might, however, want to mention to this person that women have outnumbered men in the global population for some time, so technically, we don't live in a world dominated by men at all.

Posts: 68237 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
d1TzY8
Activist
Member # 372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for d1TzY8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JeRK!
Posts: 316 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How old is he? 10 months?

can't even think of anything to say. Just think this guy is so dumb, it's funny. Can understand basic male chauvinism but this is just moronic.

------------------
When a poor person dies of hunger, it has not happened because God did not take care of him or her.
It has happened because neither you nor I wanted to give that person what he or she needed.

Mother Teresa

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
squints
Neophyte
Member # 2246

Icon 1 posted      Profile for squints     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
His woman musta dumped him 5 minutes before he posted that...

...and he needed some kinda ego back.

That's like saying all men in the business were/are druggies and were badasses in school. He's a dick and I don't know where he got the whole 'whore' theory from. He must be thinking with his dick too.

It is somewhat angersome...but I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch because those strong feminist get on my nerves too. *shrugs* I just don't think about that stuff. Just live life for crying out loud...

-Crys

[This message has been edited by squints (edited 01-02-2001).]

Posts: 9 | From: Lock Haven, PA, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I have nothing nice to say about something, I choose to be quiet.
So this is yet another moment when Alaska remains silent.

------------------
Just a regular lunatic.
Go inside Alaska's head...

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DuCkiE
Neophyte
Member # 2253

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DuCkiE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just another guy who has nothing better to do than put all the women down... and why? Because he doesn't have one. And it's a wonder why... he probably treated her like crap! Oh well... it's actually kinda funny... some guys come up with the weirdest things about our great gender

------------------
-Hey you don't be silly! Put a rubber on that willy!-

Posts: 8 | From: Colorado | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.