Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Hey- do u think this is right?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hey- do u think this is right?
troublemaka
Activist
Member # 543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troublemaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey i know i havent posted in a while but i just wanted u guyes thoughts on this: i was in my debate class and we were debateing on abortion. I was pro and i went agaist this guy ( who i cant stand one bit) and he was con. the debate was getting really heavy and all the class was getting into it. one of my friends asked the guy, David, what would happen if a girl got raped? would it be ok if she got an abortion? to this he said,and i quote:"well it was her own damn fault in the first place that she got raped" when i was 12 years old my couzin (yuck i know) raped me. this comment made me outtraged on how stupid and uneducated that David could be. now i usally NEVER EVER resort to vilolence but this pushed me over the edge. i turned to him and slaped him across the face and walkd out of the class. the teacher yelled to me to go see the dean, i thought she ment to tell on david. she didnt. i got to the deans office only to find out that i had to serve a Sat. school(4 hour quite study hall) david got nothing. whats ur thoughts? do u think i dserved the sat for hitting him or what? sorry so long!~

------------------
"Put ur hand in mine, I will slap ur sweet behind"---2+gather my fav boy band LOL

Posts: 92 | From: Somewere over the rainbow | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now hun ... Since you're thinking straight and everything, can you honestly say that what you did is right?

I can understand that in the heat of the moment, you overreacted and maybe did something you shouldn't have. You can't take it back, all you can do is learn from it. In my opinion, yeah, I think you do deserve that detention. You *did* hit him and that's not acceptable behaviour, no matter what he said to you.

As for David ... He deserves a kick in the a**, to say the least. He seems very ignorant and rude and a bunch of other things i don't think is appropriate for these boards It's hard to say what he should "get" for his comment tho. Maybe he actually believes that, who knows(??) He needs to get educated a bit more before he starts making comments like that again, or a little slap in the face will be the least of his worries ...

Just my 2c tho ...

~ Smurfy

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you should not have slapped him. that's pretty simple.

but he should not have been an ignoramus, either.

------------------
Someday, I will have a sexy car...a very...sexy...car!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, hitting him wasn't the right thing to do.

But being a total ******* can't be justified either.

This guy is completely uneducated and totally offensive. You had every right to be pissed, but it've been better to just stop, and walk out. If you want to avoid the situation again, you should probably explain your position to your debate teacher and the dean.

------------------
Yeah, well I'VE got blood dripping out of a hole between my legs, do YOU?!?
there is a difference between being stupid and being ditzy. i ought to know

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron
Activist
Member # 484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well smurf, pink and gumdrop are right. You blew it by slapping him. bad girl. But what's done is done so..Must have felt kind of good, anyway, so i'd say, enjoy yourself on saturday. Service with a smile!
Posts: 364 | From: San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Confused boy
Activist
Member # 1964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Confused boy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I can honestly say i sympathise more with Troublemaka's position. This David was a complete and utter bastard. Words can hurt more than sticks and stones. Sure it might have been better to mock that stupid comment he made but u should no way have been punished harshly like that.
Posts: 711 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Troublemaka, you didn't mention whether or not you explained to the teacher and/or to the dean just why you flew off the handle and slapped with the jerk (or if you even got the chance to explain). If you didn't I agree with Pink that you really should if you at all feel you can. I know that as a teacher myself, I would be totally sympathetic. Then again, I probably would have punished the jerk for his totally insensitive remark. At the very least he deserves an F for lousy debate technique!!

Anyhow, in your place I'd just ask the teacher if she had a minute and then say something on the lines of, "Hey, I'd like to apologize for slapping David on Friday; I know it wasn't an appropriate response. But I just wanted to let you know why. See, I was raped a few years ago and I know how it feels, and when he said that I just lost it. I just wanted you to understand where I was coming from. Thanks for listening."

If you don't want her to know that much personal information about you, you could always tell her it was a close friend or something. However, I feel that she deserves to know your side of the story.

Unfortunately ignorance and insensitivity are not diseases which always cure themselves. Good luck.

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know hitting people is wrong, but hon, you have my sympathy. And I hope this dude gets his.
Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
troublemaka
Activist
Member # 543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troublemaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanx for u guyes POV i really honestly appeicate it. Lady Moonlight- no i didnt tell my teacher or the dean that i was raped. no one cept my best guy friend knows. not even my parents. so its not like i want to say anything to my teacher. but i did serve my saturday, and every 7 min i would yell out "there goes another one," cuz in my resherch i found out that every 7 min some one gets raped. and when i went to leave to go home, i got a standing ovation from all the girls in the sat. , puls the teacher and a few guys. im proud i did that and stood up (no vliolenty) for myself!
~*~Katelin~*~

------------------
"Put ur hand in mine, I will slap ur sweet behind"---2+gather my fav boy band LOL

[This message has been edited by troublemaka (edited 12-18-2000).]

Posts: 92 | From: Somewere over the rainbow | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brava!

Sounds like you found a great way to make your point!

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
d1TzY8
Activist
Member # 372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for d1TzY8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Girl..I am with you 110%. I probably would have beat the **** out of him. That just goes to show how much he knows about ANYTHING.

I think it's unfair of the consequences. I think that the force was with you (really! ) Obviously he has never had someone close to him in that particular situation.

Posts: 316 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.