Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Spiritual Diversity (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Spiritual Diversity
~KandyKiss69~
Activist
Member # 3052

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~KandyKiss69~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christian.

------------------
Shine, make em wonder whatcha got!-Newsboys
(((Kristine)))

Posts: 66 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My father and my elder sister are members of the NRA. And I'm a gun owner (not a bad shot, either).

I know what it's like to feel like singled out for political beliefs. Ideologically, I don't fit in at home (they're too conservative) and I don't fit in here in Berkeley (they're too liberal). But I know how to hold my own in a discussion without lashing out and feeling resentful. There's a fine line between discussion and inflammation, and it takes some time to learn how to walk that line effectively. If you can't walk the line, then you're stuck either on the side of never getting your opinions expressed or on the side of victimizing yourself, with the opposition as a scapegoat for your troubles.

------------------
This space reserved for the free exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purple Lemonade
Activist
Member # 2674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Lemonade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lemmeee seee....I'm a Christiany-Catholic.
But mostly an Assembly of God Christian.
The Phils are very religion-orientated....BTW...I turned 14 last Monday...cool huh??!!! Only 4 years until I can get my drivers license!!

Posts: 54 | From: Manila, Philippines | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
towel42
Activist
Member # 3118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for towel42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I know this reply is a bit late, but I just joined yesterday and would like to get a comment in before the boards go on spring break tomorrow.

I've kind of formulated my own version of a certain religion. I don't know what else to call myself besides a Wiccan, but I think that that may give a misleading impression. Wicca is referring to the pagan tradition created by Gerald Gardner. Now, while I hold in high regard the majority of Wicca, I find following any *set* religion too restricting. There are so many different Witchcraft traditions out there, and I try to take a little bit from each I feel comftorable with. Also, I have my own opinions on God. Its not so much that I'm a pagan, but that I believe that God is in everything, and everything is God, and that includes us. I don't think we as a race are quite ready to truly comprehend God. If we were, we wouldn't be having quite so many religious wars. I've taken it upon myself to decide that no, I don't know what God is. I don't like to put labels on God. I just know beyond a shadow of a doubt that there is a force behind creation. There is something out there, something so powerful it has to transcend energy, and I can't begin to comprehend it. And that's that.

------------------
...an angel who didn't so much fall as saunter vaguely downward...

Posts: 256 | From: Illinois | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, Wicca was not created by Gardner nor his wife, who, as associates of Crowley, liked to claim that they did in the late sixties and early seventies. They simply popularized (kind of) one form of fairly generic coven-based witchcraft.

"Wicca" is a new term used by the Gardners and others to describe the most general sort of modernized witchcraft. However, there are NUMEROUS forms of earth-based rilgion and spirituality based all over the globe, and "Wicca" is not one set tradition with rules and tenets, but mainly an umbrella term, and what the gardners tried to coin in some respects is not recognized (nor respected) by many wiccans and practictioners of earth-based religious traditions.

If you're interested in Wicca, I highly suggest doing some reading outside that circle, especially works by more earnest scholars and practitioners like Merlin Stone's "When God Was a Woman," "The Spiral Dance" by Starhawk, or by reading books based in specific traditions like the Celtic, the upper Irish, the Norse, the Italian and so forth.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Whatsthatmommy
Activist
Member # 7869

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Whatsthatmommy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"keoki_14:Gumdrop Girl, I learned about Buddhism in school. Do you pray 5 times a day? And the 5 Precepts are kind of like the 5 Pillars of Faith, right? (Or is that Hinduism?)"

No Islam is the religion that prays 5 times a day and has the 5 pillars of faith.

Well anyways, My mom is an X-Catholic Unitarian and my Dad is a Lutheran. Me, I'm a atheist. I also go to catholic school and suprisingly enough my parents don't agree with the roman catholic church and/or its hierarchy. But there is one thing true about religion. If going to church makes you a christian, then going to your garage makes you a car. So basicly, just becuase you call yourself a certain religion by no means are you apart of it. You need to take part in whatever your religion preaches, not just go to church becuase your parents do.

Posts: 69 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star2be17
Activist
Member # 4769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star2be17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Towel when she says that "any *set* religion is restricting." Both my parents are baptized Christians (none of us kids are), but religion isnt a very big deal in our family. In fact, in recent years my parents have become really interested in Zen Buddhism, and as a result i have too. I've always questioned the existence of the Christian god, and in my opinion Buddhism makes a lot more sense.
However, our family celebrates all the Christian holidays...not really for their religious significance, more for tradition's sake.

------------------
I'd rather be a forest than a street. Yes I would. If I could, I surely would.

Posts: 266 | From: Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UKgirl
Activist
Member # 11280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UKgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a very strict atheist. No god(s), no afterlife, no soul, no supernatural anything. This isn't just because I haven't found a religion I agree with, this is the way I think things are. Some people find that really difficult to get their heads around. Was talking to a Muslim friend at uni about it the other day and she kept asking "don't you believe in...?", "how about...?", "not even...?".

Having said that I have complete respect for anyone who does follow a religion, or their own spiritual concepts. I'm really into diversity, and religion makes things far more interesting. I have Muslim friends, pagan friends, Sikh friends, Christian friends, and probably some others.

Also I appreciate how much religion helps some people. When I was younger a couple of my friends died, and dealing with that without being able to think of them in a better place (or any place other than rotting in the ground/being incinerated) was hard

Posts: 166 | From: London, England | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
youcancallmepunk
Activist
Member # 11139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for youcancallmepunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what I am, and I am content with that. I'm just a mix and match type of person. My father is Catholic (though non practicing now) and my mother is an ex-protestant and now a baptist. Because of there beliefs they decided that we would go between protestant and catholic churches, until we decided we didn't want to. Well I decided when I was 8 or younger that I didn't want to.

Since then I've developed and taken on different aspects of various religions, and shed some. As of now my beliefs vary: I don't believe in a god, or gods and goddesses but a life force; I believe in reincarnation but in the since that if you haven't achieved everything that has set out for you, you go back in finish it (I do believe in destiny, but I will probably explain it later); I believe in angels,earths powers (broad term for me) ghosts, and basically Karma.

My view on destiny is basically, each person has a goal set for them to achieve, but there are many different options, paths to take to get to this particular goal.

------------------
~Jay
"I am the sum of my parts and infinitely more so. The hum of my brain, the curve of my torso. The spark of my wit, the depth of my heart. Size is no measure in such a work of art" (from a Hanes Her Way ad)

Posts: 197 | From: north carolina, United States | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foreveryoung
Activist
Member # 7990

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foreveryoung     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm christian.. I was raised in the Catholic Church, and my mom is catholic.. yes, i think it's a form of christianity, but i just don't believe some of the things it teaches. My mom wants me to get confirmed. I havn't gone to the classes though. I told her that i wasn't going to get confirmed , she got kind of mad.. I go to bording School, so she can't make me .. I tryied to explain things to her.. There were times when i was confussed about what i believed.. but now i believe totally and completley in Jesus Christ.. I think it's great that there are so many diverse religions..
Posts: 87 | From: PA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetsadie
Neophyte
Member # 10109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweetsadie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was raised Christian - more specifically, Roman Catholic.

We believe in the Holy Trinity, which is composed of God (The Father), Jesus Christ (The Son), and the Holy Spirit (or Holy Ghost). The names of the Holy Trinity are recited in that order when we make the sign of the cross before, during and after mass.

We believe in Heaven and Hell and (depending who you ask) in a place called Purgatory, which is sort of a holding cell for the souls whose fates have yet to be decided. We believe Jesus Christ sits at the right hand of God in Heaven, and that Satan (The Devil) rules Hell. We believe Satan was once an angel, but that he tried to challenge God for control of the universe and was kicked out.

Generally, we believe God created the world in six days and rested on the seventh. We belive he created the first man, Adam, and from Adam's bone created the first woman, Eve. We believe Adam and Eve lived in a paradise called the Garden of Eden, and that God allowed them to eat freely of every tree except an apple tree. We believe Satan (The Devil) came up from Hell disguised as a snake and enticed Eve to eat an apple, upon doing which she and Adam were banished from the Garden of Eden for sinning.

That's not exactly Roman Catholicism in a nutshell, but I am running late. Forgive me if my post seems a bit primitive or elementary - as I do not know much about other religions, I was trying to write with the assumption that somebody here may not know anything about mine. Also, keep in mind that this is Roman Catholicism as it was taught to me - as I understand it - and not every Roman Catholic would/should/could agree with it.

Posts: 16 | From: Whitehall, Pennsylvania, U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Daydreamer24
Activist
Member # 5578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daydreamer24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sweetsadie:

Not sure how accurate it is since I know nothing about it, but thanks for writing that about the Holy Trinity. I love learning about religions!!

Posts: 1619 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zanney
Activist
Member # 8696

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zanney     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am, and my family is Lutheran. My husband an his whole family is Lutheran. We are not overly active in the faith, but neither have we completely abandonded it.

That said, I am not a perfect Christian in that I am never very comfortable talking about my own faith - I personally don't think I am very solid with it. It took a lot to even post this.

Posts: 419 | From: Tivoli | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetsadie
Neophyte
Member # 10109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweetsadie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Daydreamer24 - I'm not sure how accurate I am, either, but I'm pretty sure I'm not off base by much. Every church is different, though...so it's hard to say. I enjoy learning about other religions, too!

Generally, Roman Catholics believe that Jesus (in his physical human form) was born to Joseph, a carpenter, and his wife Mary, with whom he had never had sexual intercourse. We believe that on December 25 (Christmas Day), every inn in the town of Bethlehem was full, and so Mary gave birth to Jesus in a stable. We believe that three wise men later arrived bearing gifts for the baby Jesus and proclaiming him the son of God.

We believe that Jesus, at the age of thirty-three, was nailed to a cross through his hands and feet and died. We believe that, through the power of God his Father, Jesus rose again on the third day following his death. This is the holiday we celebrate as Easter Sunday.

The book of Roman Catholics (and of Christianity as a whole, I think) is called The Bible. Many people, Christian or not, have heard of it. Roman Catholics believe The Bible was written by Jesus' twelve most loyal disciples, who are sometimes called The Apostles. The Bible contains the story of The Ten Commandments, which are like the rules of Christianity. We believe a man named Moses went to the top of Mount Sinai with two stone tablets, upon which The Ten Commandments were struck by God. I should in all reality know The Ten Commandments by heart, but I don't - although they include "Thou shalt not kill", "Thou shalt not steal" and "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife."

Two important prayers in modern-day Roman Catholicism are the Our Father and the Hail Mary, each of which is recited once in the duration of Holy Mass. Mass is usually performed by a priest, who is called "Father _____". Mass can also be performed by higher-up members of the clergy such as bishops and monsignors.

That's about it for now - again, this is only Roman Catholicism as it was taught to me. I don't mean to preach or get teacherish on everybody...I just think it's nice to understand different spiritualities.

Posts: 16 | From: Whitehall, Pennsylvania, U.S.A. | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kite
Activist
Member # 5957

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sweetsadie:
Roman Catholics believe The Bible was written by Jesus' twelve most loyal disciples, who are sometimes called The Apostles.
[/B]

Um, no. The Old Testament, which is a part of the Bible, was already written before the time of Jesus. Some of the writers of the New Testament were Apostles, but all Apostles aren't authors and some authors aren't Apostles (Paul for example).

See http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02543a.htm for many, many more details

[This message has been edited by Kite (edited 02-12-2003).]

Posts: 127 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UKgirl
Activist
Member # 11280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UKgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sweetsadie:
Generally, Roman Catholics believe that Jesus (in his physical human form) was born to Joseph, a carpenter, and his wife Mary, with whom he had never had sexual intercourse. We believe that on December 25 (Christmas Day), every inn in the town of Bethlehem was full, and so Mary gave birth to Jesus in a stable.

whilst 25th december is the date that many christians celebrate the birth of Christ, not all of those Christians believe that it was the actual date of his birth. The Gospels do not mention that date of His birth and it was not celebrated by the early church.The 25th seems to be a date taken from earlier "heathen" festivals. Read this up in Sir James Frazer's The Golden Bough.

Posts: 166 | From: London, England | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shann2002
Activist
Member # 10090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shann2002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a Christian. I attend a Baptist church at home. I was raised in a Christian home and all of the beliefs and things work for me. Most of the Christian religions are basicallythe same. The different type of churces and stuff have different doctrines/bylaws to which to conduct themselves from.

Posts: 127 | From: Da Dirty South | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sachie
Activist
Member # 9895

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sachie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'm an agnostic, meaning that i'm doubtful about whether god exists but i'm not quite an atheist. i also have some beliefs that are rooted in buddhism, like reincarnation after death.

------------------
libido ergo sum.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweetsadie
Neophyte
Member # 10109

Kite - I felt iffy about the "authors of the Bible" part when I posted it, but I thought I had the general idea...it's much more clear now, though. Thanks for the correction.

UKGirl - Ditto on the correction. I hadn't taken into consideration that Christmas Day may be just a day of celebration...again, my mistake.

drums4mylife
Neophyte
Member # 10689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for drums4mylife     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, regarding the Dec 25th thing, here's a little known fact. There was a Roman holiday in the wintertime, around the 25th. The idea of putting Christmas on the 25th of December was to give the newly founded Christian religion a holiday around this Roman holiday, which was pagan. If they had left it in the spring (which is most likely the time when Jesus was born), then there would be nothing to contend with the Roman holiday in the wintertime. Anyways, just so y'all know.

BUT, I am a Roman Catholic, and I have been basically all my life. I've never gone to anything but Catholic school, and it has been quite an experience. I still have some strength in my faith, but I could easily see myself forgetting about religion when I get older. So that's me. Cheers, ~*Alex*~

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Nature gives you the face you have at twenty. It is up to you to merit the face you have at fifty."-Coco Chanel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 16 | From: DC Area | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UKgirl
Activist
Member # 11280

quote:
Originally posted by drums4mylife:
There was a Roman holiday in the wintertime, around the 25th. The idea of putting Christmas on the 25th of December was to give the newly founded Christian religion a holiday around this Roman holiday, which was pagan. If they had left it in the spring (which is most likely the time when Jesus was born), then there would be nothing to contend with the Roman holiday in the wintertime.

the closest thing I've found to what you are describing is a celebration of a Mirthic festival, not directly Roman (actually Persian), but very popular within the Roman empire. But, as I've said, I'm no expert. However, judging by some of the previous postings, there are a lot of pagens here, perhaps they could clarify this?

Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect that drums4mylife was referring to the Roman festival of Saturnalia which began on Dec. 17 and usually lasted a week (to Dec. 25). Here is a link to it:
http://ancienthistory.about.com/library/weekly/aa111699.htm

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chosen
Neophyte
Member # 12489

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chosen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm one of the few-and-far-between Taoists today. I realized this last year some time, so it's not like I was raised in a traditional Taoist setting.

After 18 years of being agnostic, I looked into some of the eastern philosophies (especially after taking up Chinese Martial Arts, my passion), and I learned that Taoism already encompassed everything I believe.

Here is a nice site that answers the basic questions: http://www.religioustolerance.org/taoism.htm

Posts: 6 | From: Ohio | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RaspberryGiggles
Neophyte
Member # 12522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RaspberryGiggles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My family is all jumbled when it comes to religion, but I'm an atheist, or at least, I haven't discovered my religion yet. I'm willing to learn about different religions to see which is right for me before committing to anything.

Anyway, my grandfather is a Buddhist priest/monk. My house has a little Buddhist alter, but my parents aren't really Buddhists. To make things more complicated, one of my sisters is a baptized Christian.

It's really confusing because culture has an influence on religion as well. Here, people are born Shinto (with Shinto ceremonies throughout their lives, etc.) but die Buddhist (Buddhist funerals). Both religions are similarly strong in my culture, so many people are both and not strickly one or the other.

Posts: 9 | From: Japan | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Raspberry, where in Japan do you hail from? I bonded this year with some exchange students from Osaka, but none of them were particularly religious. But Buddhism and Shinto are both really interesting to me.

I was born and raised until my early teens as a Roman Catholic, but I was disillusioned with it after a 14 year stint in Catholic schools (for example, my elementary school made confirmation mandatory [confirmation is a sacrament in which the person reconfirms their bond to God that was made during baptism, when they are generally too young to choose for themselves], and other unimpressive things, like singling out students who didn't sign the cross during morning prayer). Surprisingly enough, I found more genuinely faithful people at the public school I switched too mid-high school.

For a while, I identified as pagan; my mom was very good with a tarot deck, and she got me my first set of runes, which I still have, though I rarely use them. While at the public school, I'm sorry to say, I had unpleasant experiences with 'popular' Wiccans, who had the habit of prefacing their statements with "Well, I'm Wiccan, and blah blah blahspiritualfishcakes". I moved towards Agnostic, and stayed there until about this year.

The college I attend was founded as an Anglican theological college, and has a really strong Anglican tradition. Quite of few of my close friends here are faithful Anglicans of varying degrees, and I decided that if I wasn't sure whether I believed in God, or a similar higher power, I might as well educate myself to the different forms of belief and worship. I got to know the Chaplain here very well, and he's taught me a lot about religion (both Christianity and beyond). However, I still study Buddhism, Shinto and Taoism on my own, and I hope to travel to Asia in the near future to get first hand experience of the cultures that these religions come from.

Yikes, longwinded. To sum up, I identify as Agnostic Christian Eastern philosopher/meditator. Hooray! I loved reading everyone else's religious beliefs/upbringings, and it's great to see that religion can be discussed without erupting into flames.

[This message has been edited by wobblyheadedjane (edited 04-08-2003).]

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RaspberryGiggles
Neophyte
Member # 12522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RaspberryGiggles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! You have a pretty diverse background, jane! I currently reside in Yokohama. My grandmother is from Osaka though!

I bet you know more about Shinto and Buddhism than I do!

Posts: 9 | From: Japan | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KrAzY_KaRl
Neophyte
Member # 21546

Icon 10 posted      Profile for KrAzY_KaRl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im Muslim , long story short I was born Muslim then my parents broke up, etc. Then I lived with my atheist mother and then I became Muslim. The reason i am Muslim is that I have studied just about every religion and this is the only logical one, if anyone wants to debate me, go ahead, but you won't win.

------------------
"Quickly we have to get to those oilfields.. I mean Terrorists!"

Posts: 29 | From: Geelong, Victoria, Australia | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now now, there's no reason to invite such (usually) negative debate to start here. Islam may be the only logical religion to you, but people's preferences in the religion department tend to vary a lot.

I identify as Muslim also, btw. There are parts of the religion I sometimes don't understand, such as wearing hijab, or some of the seemingly misogynistic stuff that spouts out of some imams' mouths, but I try to follow it as I believe is best for me.

I do understand the reasoning behind many of the rules, and try to keep an open mind, but a lot of people I meet think it's so hypocritical. I don't eat pork or drink alcohol, I have a boyfriend--I pray and fast during Ramadan, and I don't wear hijab. I teach at a mosque and can read Arabic [shakily, but I'm re-learning it], and I have friends who are boys. It's selective, but it works for me.

An interesting website is the Islamica forum which has discussion topics on just about everything related to Islam. Check it out if you're interested.

[This message has been edited by faifai (edited 01-28-2005).]

Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Really, stating any belief system is the only right or logical one here just isn't okay, and is also terribly silly, considering that religion of any type is optional.

It's really that simple.

But since this particular user was booted earlier today for finding the last straw on this camel's back for randomly posting in unrelated VP threads about how high he was on his "McBong," it's a bit of a moot point, and more than a little ironic, besides.)

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TechnoBone
Neophyte
Member # 21819

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TechnoBone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a deist, tried and true. Generally, the deist belief is a creator, first cause, god-as-a-clockmaker. Everything else is generally personal differances (such as free will, existance of heaven and/or hell, etc.). It technically has more in common with atheism than theism since it's a more "intellectual" movement (not to belittle anyone else's beliefs, but that's the title given it) which generally disapproves of organized religion. It's a "natural" instead of "revealed" religion; the belief is said to be intuitive among its followers and it has no written doctrine behind it, unlike organized religions. Thomas Jefferson is one of the most famous diests in history, having denied in his writings (and his taking of scissors to a Bible) the divinity of Jesus.

(Phew, that was a long speil.)

My parents are both rather liberal Christians of no particular denomination; neither go to church regularly. My father's side of the family tends towards Southern Baptists; my mother's towards Roman Catholicism.

Posts: 7 | From: USA | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
00goddess
Activist
Member # 11734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 00goddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am a Thelemite. This means that I am someone who accepts and lives by the Law of Thelema, which states "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law." The corollary to that Law is "Love is the law, love under will."

Basically, I figured out a lot of things on my own, and then I found out that there was a word for the things I believed, and that lots of other people believed them too. I remember the first time someone explained the Law to me; I said "Oh, well, I already know that!" Finding the Law, however, has enriched my life greatly; before, I was floundering for words to describe what I thought and believed, and now I have not only a language which describes those beliefs, but a group of other people who speak that same langauge. This has allowed me to grow in great leaps and bounds.

So, what does a Thelemite "do"? In my case, I strive always to do my Will, and I pursue my personal Initiation in various ways that suit me. I am a devotee of Inanna, the Sumerian goddess, I am a member of Ordo Templi Orientis, a Thelemic fraternal organization which provides initiatory experience, I am a seeker of Feri, and through all of these avenues and more, I seek Union with my Divine Self, my Holy Guardian Angel.

------------------

Posts: 50 | From: houston, TX | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MsEdith
Neophyte
Member # 15762

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MsEdith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wow this is really interesting! i'm not really decided about anything, i like reading about wicca and different beliefs and such, but i don't think im ready to commit to anything just yet.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueRaine
Neophyte
Member # 21938

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueRaine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again... labels for beliefs...

I've been called Agnostic. I've been called Buddhist. I've been called Christian. I've been called Wiccan. I've been called some things I don't even know what they meant.

So I really don't like having a label. I believe in Recarnation, one of the three possiblities. I pick up some livings from Wicca since I studied the religion for a year or so, then some from Buddha (studied for only 3 monthes) My family is Christian-Spiritual. Yet my dad is Athiest.

It's intresting that's for sure. But if one thing I hate is the sudden outburst of teenagers becoming Wiccan because it's 'cool' or 'different' or 'forbidden' or 'helps the depressed "goth" image'

...Just want to choke the life out of those people... Seriously, I know people that have 'become' Wiccan for those reasons and when I asked them about it, they didn't know a thing about it and were actually surprised there was nothing really "dark and satanist" about it. ...Doofuses.

*cough* Lurves ^-^

------------------
*~The World Is Not Enough, But It Is Such A Perfect Place To Start My Love~*
*~Silence Has The Right To Be Heard~*

Posts: 13 | From: U.S. of A. | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summergoddess
Activist
Member # 11352

Icon 2 posted      Profile for summergoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My family has raised me as a Catholic. However through the later years of my teens, i started to consider myself more of a Christian. I still believe in God, the unconditional love that he has for all of us. I just really disagree with two main things that the church is against of which is premarital sex and homosexuality.

I am very open-minded to everything. The choice to have premarital sex at 17 was my choice and it had nothing to with my religion. I just knew that waiting until marriage was just not the path for me.

I'm also a bisexual and i have no problems with anyone regardless of sexuality. I am very appreciative of the GLBT community!

However, I am getting a greater understanding of the church and the things that we do because my fiance is in the RCIA program to become catholic and i am his sponsor. Each week, we learn something new, and it is SO much better than the religion classes i had to take back in HS.

I still stand abide my two disagreements with the church, and i know those two personally won't change with me.

So that's my take.

------------------
~Jules

Posts: 369 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jenna D.
Activist
Member # 18964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jenna D.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the most part, religion hasn't played an important role in my upbringing. My mother was raised in the Calvinist Christian Reformed Church, hated it, and thus my earliest memory of anything religious is from when I was about 9, with the exception of going to the church Mom grew up in when we visited my grandmother. When I was 9, out of the blue she decided we were going to church at Easter, and we went to the local United Church. It was a nice community, but later developments and church politics caused a break; the minister was ousted for stupid reasons and he and a handful of the congregation formed a non-denominational Christian community church. My mother and I went too -- by this time, my brother and sister had ceased to want to get up early on Sunday mornings and Mom didn't make them. I kept going because I liked singing and it seemed to be 'my time' with Mom. The community church had a nice objective: to follow the teachings of Christ, nothing more, nothing less. If you wanted to do anything on top of that, on your own or something, you were welcome to, but the focus of the services was to just learn how to apply Christ's teachings to your life. It was kinda nice, no pressure, around 150 people, with the attitude of 'just because it's always been done this way doesn't mean we have to keep doing it like that, let's try something new' - something the United Church we left from couldn't understand. But my mother, who was secretary of the board of this new church, had a falling-out with the rest of the members and left angrily. I went with her out of loyalty more than anything else. I don't think I've gone to a service of any kind since then. My father's perspective has never mattered much because I don't live with him, though I know he doesn't hold much stock with organised religion.

I don't identify myself as anything. I don't want to and I don't think about it much either. I'm perfectly happy not wondering most of the time, which has gotten me called an apathetic. I think a lot of this has to do with the church infighting I experienced. I read things on religion sometimes and occasionally something fits with what I think, but there's usually something in the system that's really big that I don't agree with. I do like a lot of religious stories for their literary value. I like to think that all the 'prophet' figures in different faiths were real people, that they were good people who had some good ideas and some not-so-good ones too, who tried to lead by positive example, and have had their images and reputations blurred and biased for better and for worse by thousands of years of translation, secondhand information and many prejudices. I don't think that you can insist on one line of belief being the only one OR ELSE; I think if you believe something and you believe in it with all your heart, then your afterlife/reincarnation/final judgement/whatever you subscribe to, will be a positive experience for you, no matter if you subscribe to Faith A and someone from Faith B thinks that because you're not of Faith B too you're doomed for all eternity. If Faith B requires you to think that everyone not of Faith B is doomed, so be it, but maybe doom to you is paradise to them. I think it's all relative.

I feel that set religions and faiths can be good for a lot of people but right now they're not for me. I understand and accept that I'm still young and I'm still growing up and that I might change my perspective as I get older and learn more, that a time may come when I'll want to think about these things and find something definitive. As for now, have fun as what you are, but if I'm meant to find something, I'll do it in my own time. :-)

Posts: 72 | From: Scarborough, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.