Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » The Randoms » Working w/ your boyfriend/girlfriend??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Working w/ your boyfriend/girlfriend??
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got a job, yeh!!!! and its at my baby loves work, I just wanted to know what you guys thought about working, with your boyfriend or girlfriend, would you do it? I dont think it will be that bad, we hardly see eachother, that much, I mean Im a cashier and hes a stock boy and cart boy (awww how cute, hehe). I just wanted to know your guys view on it.

------------------
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~
*~*~12/3/99*~*~*
"The first time I saw you, I knew that I would fall for you, & now that were together, our love will last forever!!" -By: The person I LOVE MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THIS WORLD!!

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
me and my husband met because we were working together. i loved working with him, i would do it again. i love being around him all the time and he loves being around me all the time. now he works somewhere else and i stay at home, but i still love spending every second i get with him.

------------------
fairykoger@hotmail.com

http://www.angelfire.com/oh2/koger

Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
given that i already distract him enough at the jobs he's had, i think working with my guy would only get us both fired.

besides, i don't think he wants to work in a laboratory.

------------------
Someday, I will have a sexy car...a very...sexy...car!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shameless
Neophyte
Member # 2051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shameless     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my boyfriend & i both worked at the same summer camp this summer. we were at different locations 3 days of the week, but 2 days our camps came together in one place. it was lots of fun, especially watching him play with the little kids (they loved him) and having the little kids make fun of us for being a couple (i dont know how they caught on.... kids are smarter than we think!). as long as it doesnt distract you, working with your significant other can be fun.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoupPrincess
Activist
Member # 1856

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoupPrincess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I met my boyfriend when we both worked at the same bookstore. We worked together for about a year and it was great.

Then we got a new boss who saw a conflict in me dating my boss, and demoted him. He also made life extremely unpleasent for almost everyone working in the store so we both quit.

Now I am back at school and we are doing the long distance thing but I loved working with him because it gave me the oportunity to see him every day, and work is always more fun when you are with people that you like so long as you dont get carried away and remember to actually do your work!

Posts: 47 | From: Bloomington IL (the boringest place on earth) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flowerpunk
Neophyte
Member # 2085

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flowerpunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My significant other worked came to work with me part time last this time last year as a way to make some extra cash for the holidays. Although it wasn't the worst thing in the world, we realized early on that we had to be careful as not to let it take over our lives (the workplace drama there was already a soap opera). We managed okay with a couple of ground rules, such as limiting conversations about work to the car on the way there and the ride home.
Posts: 5 | From: New York | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, no, not in a million years, no.

Now, do bear in mind that my workplace is in my home office, and because I'm a writer, it needs be pretty sacrosanct. In addition, I do live with this person, and I am also a person who likes solitude a lot. I have never been afraid of being alone. I have, on the other hand, been afraid of being suffocated with attention or with a clinging other person.

I LOVE my solitude during the day -- it's part of what makes me so happy to see my partner at the end of it. I wouldn't trade it for all the world, and I tend to get very snippety and grumpy during weeks or months when I don't get that privacy five days out of the week.

If I worked in a setting with plenty of other people: it'd have it's highs and lows. I've done that before, and it is actually how I first met my partner I have right now ten years ago, and it can be fine, though I don't know that I;d call it fabulous, or the most positive contribution to really accomplishing work.

I'd probably still avoid it if I could. I love working, and I love being focused on it, and I love having time where I get to be the person who I am separate from my partner.

Posts: 67049 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron
Activist
Member # 484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It depends on the work. Writing is something you pretty much have to do by yourself, though sometimes it takes lots of mental preparation--which may be solitude or a wild costume party, whatever. I think everyone needs some solitude and some need more.

But thinking of work as a major life project, I can't really imagine living with someone I didn't work with in that sense. My lifemate and I have always shared work in that sense, living in Mexico, the family of course, but also helping the small farmers grow and sell organic crops, turning them in to good food and trying to raise people's consciousness about those things, it's a shared project and I really couldn't imagine it any other way. Now, we do different jobs related to those things but the work is shared.

Someone's signature I saw the other day: If you do what you love, you'll never work a day in your life.

Posts: 364 | From: San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lilnerd
Activist
Member # 1194

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lilnerd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ron-- thats an awesome quote. very true!

anyway...I have never worked with my boyfriend so my comparison is kinda different, but when i worked with my best friend it actually kinda sucked. it was cool at first, but it got to a point where i felt like she was always on my @$$. especially when she would tell me that i'm doing something wrong i nearly wanted to kill her!

------------------
http://beam.to/anode2ryan *My Ryan Page*
"Don't go in the teepee without a condom on your peepee"~Dumb & Dumber

[This message has been edited by lilnerd (edited 12-13-2000).]

Posts: 543 | From: NY | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femalepleaser
Activist
Member # 637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Femalepleaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i believe that quote you read was probably my sig hehe....

------------------
If you love what you do you'll never work a day in your life!

Posts: 86 | From: CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femalepleaser
Activist
Member # 637

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Femalepleaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My current job right now is very laid back and good enough for me right now.....when most of my debts are paid off i plan on continuing auto racing school where my passion begins.
Posts: 86 | From: CA, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron
Activist
Member # 484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good philosophy, Femalepleaser. sometimes we have to pay off debts but if we just remember your sig we eventually get things set up right. The illusion is to think things like "I'll go for the money and when I have it I can do what I want"--all too likely, it'll never happen.
Posts: 364 | From: San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my boyfriend gave up a $9.50/hr part time job in the architecture library to pursue his interest in coffee. he is now a barrista at a little coffeehouse across town. he only makes $7.50/hr now, but he does what he likes.

my exroomie's guy works in an office making beaucoup $$$. my guy felt inadequate in comparison because he didn't make as much money and couldn't buy his girl nice gifts all the time. but truth be told, he is doing what he wants to do, and i admire that greatly.

it's not something i could do. i can't drop everything and suddenly take up writing again just because i think it would be cool to be a music critic. instead, i do lab work. not nearly as glamorous, but i can only hope one day to find a cure for AIDS or something cool like that.

i will probably live out my miserable yuppie existance working because it pays the bills, not because it makes me happy. more power to the rest of you who have the latter option.

------------------
Someday, I will have a sexy car...a very...sexy...car!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far I really like working with him, its fun and its nice seeing his face around when Im thinking about him. He comes to me and he sneaks me little gummy bears...hes so sweet..heheh. Everyone there is so nice, I made friends with everyone right away...I had off today, but I have to work Fri, Sat, Sun....geee that ruins my plans, but I have a job and I gotta do it right? Work before play? No just have fun while you working, just dont go to far!!

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*~*
"The first time I saw you, I knew that I would fall for you, & now that were together, our love will last forever!!" -By: The person I LOVE MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THIS WORLD!!

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
StarryRedhead
Activist
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StarryRedhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it depends on the job. Right now I could not imagine working with my boyfriend at my current job. It's in an office and not a really laid back environment, I'm answering phones, running back and forth, and sometimes it stresses me out. What makes me like my job is when it's over and I get to be with him or call him (living far from your love sucks!). And I definitely couldn't image working with him, he's a janitor. How romantic, cleaning bathroom stalls together, hehe. It would be......interesting.

In your situation, doing a stress free job, I could see it as being a fun thing for both of you.

------------------
}{*Starry Ali*}{
"You flicker. And you're beautiful. You glow inside my head. You hold me hypnotized, I'm mesmerized..."
My Webpage-Alisons Life

Posts: 367 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Stress free??? heheh thats funny, believe me its very stressful, people can be a pain the the butt, but you just have to deal with it. I mean I cant say, 'NO your wrong' the costumer is always right. Some people are a pain in my butt, but some are so nice, but I think that all jobs are stressful in some way.

------------------
*~*~12/3/99*~*~*

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.